Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1411595 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10725 on: November 20, 2014, 12:36:44 am »

Using only the RT autopilot you could pull off a distant landing on an airless world by exactly calculating when you'd need to burn, how long, how much to throttle up, etc. You'd need to know all the various variables for your rocket and the planet as well as the altitude of the landing site and your velocity at the surface. I don't know the calculations you'd need to do off hand. If you did the math right and the autopilot didn't screw up too badly, you could probably get successful landings fairly consistently.

Also, I may be wrong but I think there are mods which integrate with RT to provide more functionality for programming probes. I don't know what any of them are, but I think I saw it mentioned on either the RO or RT mod threads.

Edit: this mod is suggested by the RT thread, skimming through the description indicates that it adds SRBs which can be armed like parachute and automatically fire to land. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61294

Doubleedit: Reading through RT's wiki, I just found out you can enter in a delta-v value for burns. That should simplify things for programming suicide burns.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:58:19 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10726 on: November 20, 2014, 01:50:51 am »

kOS should work with remotetech I think.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: November 20, 2014, 07:34:16 am »

TAC Lifesupport really piles on the pressure if you do something stupidly wrong (like forgetting to add decent supplies to your initial munar lander, heh).  ???

My most common mistake with it is forgetting that you need electric charge, and then having to pull seat-of-my-pants burns at multiple points in my return without throwing my return course too far off or running out of fuel.

Granted you feel awesome when you pull it off, but you feel REEEEEALLY stupid when it first runs out.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: November 20, 2014, 08:56:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*sigh* Once again, we have been denied spaceflight by the rampage of Mecha-Snuffaluffagus.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: November 21, 2014, 07:13:26 am »

*sigh* Once again, we have been denied spaceflight by the rampage of Mecha-Snuffaluffagus.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: November 21, 2014, 07:36:45 am »

It is indeed a Reaper, however I couldn't tell you whether or not its silliness is out of the ordinary, as my computer currently thinks gifs are just still images.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: November 21, 2014, 07:37:13 am »

What mod adds panels that big?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: November 21, 2014, 07:41:23 am »

I may have found the source of that gif:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrAsyvtctWQ

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: November 21, 2014, 07:46:08 am »

I may have found the source of that gif:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrAsyvtctWQ
Oh the whole thing is rescaled..... It's 2 km long aparrently
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4YhpZoPIB8g
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: November 21, 2014, 11:42:57 am »

I see someone went to the Prometheus school of running away from things.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: November 21, 2014, 12:14:33 pm »

Ah, terrain.  You are burning retrograde, coming in for a nice, smooth landing... AND THEN SURPRISE MOUNTAIN.
This is why I love kerbal engineer and its "Altitude above terrain" feature.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: November 22, 2014, 11:51:41 pm »

Unless you're using Interstellar you don't need much science. Mun/Minmus trips will max the stock tree. Dipping into the sun's soi is also a big boost.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: November 23, 2014, 02:04:56 am »

Unless you're using Interstellar you don't need much science. Mun/Minmus trips will max the stock tree. Dipping into the sun's soi is also a big boost.
I've grown tired of grinding Minmus.
Besides, this is more awesome, fun, hard, and rewarding.

Ike and Gilly missions help with the monotony. Just dive deep enough into Eve and Duna to grab upper atmosphere.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10738 on: November 23, 2014, 08:40:04 am »

Are there any mods that let you empty custom storage containers before birth? Science Station mod adds a very heavy storage container, that weighs 20.3 but the container itself is only 0.3. It would be convenient if I could empty out the heavy contents and launch only the container, then later dock and transfer stuff.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: November 23, 2014, 08:41:41 am »

Right-click on the fuel tank or w/e and use the sliders to adjust it. Completely vanilla.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 848