Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1412894 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10770 on: December 07, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »

I find the upper limit on plane speed to be almost exactly mach 4.

After that my engines usually overheat and asplode.

I forget how fast that is in m/s though.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10771 on: December 07, 2014, 12:16:25 pm »

Care to elaborate on what you mean?

Pretty sure he doesn't want the drag from that strut hanging off the front. The only thing I can think of is a decoupler, but without a front landing gear, landing might get a bit interesting.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: December 07, 2014, 12:18:42 pm »

Care to elaborate on what you mean?

Pretty sure he doesn't want the drag from that strut hanging off the front. The only thing I can think of is a decoupler, but without a front landing gear, landing might get a bit interesting.
Struts and landing gear are physicsless, so that's a non-problem.
As for landing without front gear, you could go the 1960s space race route and use landing legs instead of wheels.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: December 07, 2014, 12:31:12 pm »

Actually, FAR snapped it off like the twig that it is.

I was more thinking about how ugly it is.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: December 07, 2014, 12:37:47 pm »

FAR
Well there's your problem with that.
The solution is to not have a plane where you need to have the gear so far out from the body.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10775 on: December 07, 2014, 08:08:22 pm »

I have a Mun lander I want to send up, but its classic shape of a command module plus a lander makes for a ton of drag. How do you launch that sort of ship using NEAR/FAR without the rocket flipping? I tried using Procedural Fairings, but the fairings don't attach to the contents and just clip straight through it when I try a gravity turn.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: December 07, 2014, 08:46:11 pm »

Go from puller to pusher from pusher to puller style engines? Might be a designing nightmare to acheive but should be doable-ish.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:42:18 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10777 on: December 07, 2014, 11:09:19 pm »

Go from puller to pusher from pusher to puller style engines? Might be a designing nightmare to acheive but should be doable-ish.

Why in the world would that help?

EDIT: Just remembered the name, this is referring to the pendulum rocket fallacy.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: December 08, 2014, 01:30:09 am »

The pendulum fallacy applies when the idea is hanging a mass below a rocket engine so gravity keeps it pointed in the right direction, like a pendulum. Since gravity acts on the whole rocket with the same force, it doesn't actually work.

However, with aerodynamics it's different. An object with a large amount of drag sitting on top of a rocket will be unstable, but having most drag near the base of the rocket, below the center of gravity, will help keep it pointed in the direction of motion. This is why lots of rockets have fins.

Here's a picture that explains it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So for Skyrunner's problem, converting to a puller-style rocket (with the payload at the bottom) is a perfectly valid solution. Using large fins that can overcome the drag of the payload would also work, albeit at a cost to performance.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:33:39 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10779 on: December 08, 2014, 03:29:47 am »

I broke the payload into two and launched them separately. I immediately regretted it because it was sooo shaky and unstable.

Also, my lander module had a tendancy to spin out when accelerating, even though its center of mass and thrust were aligned, and all parts were attached symmetrically. I have no idea why it did that. All the tanks were loaded symmetically too... ended up just keeping SAS on and accelerating slowly.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: December 08, 2014, 05:16:07 am »

Actually, FAR snapped it off like the twig that it is.

I was more thinking about how ugly it is.

If you really need an extender for front landing gear, use a wing piece. Or just don't elevate the front gear at all and use a small engine to pitch up and balance on the rear landing gear at takeoff.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10781 on: December 08, 2014, 06:10:47 am »

I got my lander inside the procedural fairings just fine o-o
You should probably just use much more struts so the payload doesn't wobble.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10782 on: December 09, 2014, 02:29:26 am »

How do I deal with front wheels like this one?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm...far more concerned with the crazy wings then the crazy wheels.

Tip for you and anyone else using FAR, less is more. Throwing extra ginormous wings in all directions fixes nothing, it just makes everything look insane.

Focus on making a nice big and solid pair of wings from your sides, then stick two tiny yaw stabilizers up near the ends, its really all you need.

_\____O____/_

^roughly what my planes end up looking like from the rear, though the payload (the "O") is usually flatter.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: December 09, 2014, 02:35:47 am »

So you make your planes XFA-36 style?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10784 on: December 10, 2014, 02:40:48 am »

So you make your planes XFA-36 style?

Sorta, usually I don't throw the yaw stabilizers right at the tip, and I would try and make the main wings more into one solid piece, but yeah, that looks good.

Also note that I make pretty much every plane with thermal turbojets from Interstellar. Because they can fly in atmosphere for literally 10 years non stop :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 848