Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1399017 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pointed perpendicular to normal thrust would be easiest and most useful in some situations if toggled on hotkeys.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

It would be inefficient to haul two extra engines up just for power generation but yeah, could be useful in some instances.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

I think he is mostly talking about transfer stages.
Yeah my first Mun mission isn't a landing mission, always set up a basic "Go there, orbit, come back" thing beforehand. That's the one that has to worry about electricity.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Am I the only one who lands a separate unmanned return stage before sending my kerbonauts? I actually did a triple hop mission once. Dropped a return stage on minmus and a transfer stage on mun. Landed on the mun, moved over to the transfer stages for a quick hop to Minmus, then back to kerbin in the return stage.

Not for any real reason, it's just fun and I like practicing landing on specific spots.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Ive never managed to land on the Mun. Came close once, but floating point shenanigans took my perfect landing and threw it away into interplanetary space.

I spend most of my time building massive spaceships in the hangar, and occasionally trying to launch them into space.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RCS can help with sideslipping if that's part of the problem. You just have to center rcs thrust on center of mass.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Nah, it was trying to setup a landing during the transfer, without orbiting.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RCS can help with sideslipping if that's part of the problem. You just have to center rcs thrust on center of mass.
And yet this somehow never helps my landings. Ever. I ALWAYS have just enough sideslip to tip my ship off its legs. No idea how to fix it. I've all but given up landing on the Mun on fucking legs.

Indeed, I do this.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Make your ship more squat.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And yet this somehow never helps my landings. Ever. I ALWAYS have just enough sideslip to tip my ship off its legs. No idea how to fix it. I've all but given up landing on the Mun on fucking legs.

SAS also helps. Yes, and less tall, more squat. This is especially true on the Mun.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:45:02 pm by BigD145 »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I swear I have made fucking pancakes that tip over before. Mun just hates me with a burning passion.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Mun is a harsh mistress.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Just installed realism mod, soooo many fuels, lots of engines, yawn, uninstalling realism mod......
Edit:
I've been watching a series of KSP re-enactments of historical spaceflight, http://www.ksphistory.com/ which has motivated me to start a heavily modded career game.
77 Mods, the major ones being Real solar system, Real fuels, Remotetech, Tac life support, Deadly re-entry, Ferram Aerospace Research, Firespitter, KAS, Infernal Robotics, Mechjeb, Procedural Fairings, Procedural parts, Procedural wings, and most importantly for playing Real solar system with remote tech is Solar panel fixer, without this you won't get any solar power outside 200 million kilometres, also I have modded the default remote tech antenna ranges and costs to be more suitable, here's a spreadsheet of the changes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note that I have configured the ranges on the antennas to be enough to reach certain bodies including the distance of earths's orbit, they're pretty nicely lined up by range, cost, power consumption, and tech level.
Also I uninstalled several mods which conflicted with this setup, but thus far it seems to be stable, I also installed a texture compression mod, but it still wasn't enough to let me run a cloud mod, I would run out of ram :( possibly due to the greatly expanded size of the system. Also I think it might have seriously reduced the quality of the graphics in the process :s, space appears far too dark, I may install a new skybox. Also importantly I have not installed the realism mod because I didn't like the changes it made to the stock engines, the real fuels mod itself already modifies real engines to be vastly more realistic anyway.
Edit: changed the antennas slightly, have updated the spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:05:17 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I want a powerful enough pc to make my game look like that, speaking of, I don't have enough ram for the mods I'm using ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
 I'll probably have to disable clouds, they look so pretty :'(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 848