Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413899 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Probably true. I still think the barge thing is just a PR thing because it really is damn impressive but impractical.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

My Ram issues seem to have subsided, I think it was some mods I uninstalled continuing to conflict with the ones still running.
I needed to start with a fresh install and cut down a little, I ended up ditching real fuels, But the game is now running on 2gb ram rather than 3gb at startup. Booting much faster too.
I tweaked life support a little too, it seems consumption rates were about a quarter normal, which makes sense considering how big kerbals are, oh well.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

The creator of kOS has returned to the land of coding, and updated their code, aswell as adding alot of things.
Linky for the video.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MarkAFK: This is one of the first things I always install: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-90-Release-4-3-Dec-16-2014-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM!

Basically it compresses the textures to make the RAM usage less absurd, and then generates mipmaps to improve performance because apparently KSP doesn't have mipmaps?

This is also a thing that might do the same thing, as well as more things: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-0-90-TextureReplacer-2-3-1-%2824-3-2015%29
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:05:32 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I was actually using more ram when I had that installed, because it fucked up a bunch of mod icons (particularly FAR which vanished altogether) so I was running it at full res which stopped the icon problems, but increased ram compared to stock half res.
I should have been able to fix the icons to not be compressed but couldn't figure it out.
Anyway after rejiggling everything I'm now using 2.5 gb on load, which is plenty, ram limit is about 3.8 gb as I recall.
I miss the clouds but they aren't important, also the planetshine mod badly screwed up visibility so that was removed. I think my main ram problems was with plugins conflicting, checking the log there doesn't seem to be a bunch of errors anymore.
This time around I have BD armory installed, I should get some damn interesting stuff out of firespitter now :p
I added some ammo crates for the cannons which were oddly missing. Though I'm terrible at designing rovers I had a blast destroying the space center, except for the vehicle assembly building, that thing is stupidly well made, even half a dozen cruise missiles couldn't take it down, though I did manage to take it out with a badly designed 3000 ton Saturn 5 recreation, made with 17 KR2L because the F-1 part was giving overflow errors to the mass and cost :s
Edit: an earlier version, the katurn 14 which had barely enough thrust to lift off just like a Saturn 5, actually destroyed the Launchpad with it's exhaust . It didn't explode but didn't quite have enough D-V for orbit :(
Edit: It's weird that dawn occurs at midday with kerbal alarm clock, but I can live with that .
Edit: Jiggled around the tech levels of the probe cores, they were all set to unmanned tech for some reason (one of the mods probably), and the wiki gives conflicting information, but I believe I have a good configuration now.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:09:01 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only gun in BD armory that dosent have an ammo crate is the 155mm...
Highly Opinionated Fool

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait what o.O? Wrong thread or i missed something?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait what o.O? Wrong thread or i missed something?

There's a mod (a few mods, actually) that add weapon parts.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BD armory is a mod that adds a wide selection of guns, missiles, rockets and bombs, for all those many people who like pretending to be Macy Dean with Mods.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now if you can use them in multiplayer, with bases and mining on other worlds, so you can have interplanetary wars... Then I'll be interested.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably depends on the mod, but it does include things to allow you to setup a selection of defenses than fight against them.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Would probably be great with some kind of homebrew version of kOS with threat detection.  So you could stage an AI rebellion to fight.

Soldiers, we have a crisis, the Iwonderwhat'shererover MK III has apparently abandoned it's search for water on Duna, and has become self aware. It has used the time the planet was on the other side of Kerbol to build a massive battlefleet to attack us.   There are already a number of asteroid redirectors en route to kerbin.  Your mission is to destroy the steering probes directing them to the KSP and redirect the rocks away from the planet.  The nearest one is only 2 weeks away, so you must hurry. 

You are the best pilot we have Jeb.  Don't let us down, and make sure you come back alive, we have a fleet to deal with after this.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:33:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Now if you can use them in multiplayer, with bases and mining on other worlds, so you can have interplanetary wars... Then I'll be interested.
You can. Including having automated turrets that target the enemy team.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

So everything is turning on space engineers ? I like that :)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Thought I might upload a few shots from my initial launches.
 I decided to start unmanned and launch using the stayputnik, usually I start with a full sized rocket and shove a command pod on for gyroscopic stabilization, but that's not very realistic so my first 20 or so launches were entirely ballistic which was rather fun, getting the nose parachute balanced is almost impossible if you're using a stayputnik due to the hacky part clipping I needed to integrate them both, but my chute-less launches were on target and perfect, unless excessive speed caused them to disintergrate, or not enough speed made them unstable. Since I have tweakscale I also started with tiny 30 cm diameter rockets and worked my way up.

I set up a camera on the runway in the hope of capturing a few launches, as I have no wheels or method of moving I had my fingers crossed that it was oriented correctly.

First launch predictably was just a probe stuck to a solid booster, but rescaled to 30 cm. It's got a hell of a kick considering it's mere 5kN thrust.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
One camera got a nice shot of the launch 2 km away.
My next designs were 40 cm liquid fuelled, and had a parachute, they were rather unstable.
Finally after successfully balancing the A-2 series and then iteratively upscaling them to 1 meter, we achieved this beast.
Previous to the first B-1 launch the altitude record was 90km and distance was 157 km, this rocket achieves 120kN, half the thrust of a V2 rocket, which weighs 12 tons, but also carries a 1 ton warhead, which the B-1 does not.
The rocket achieved a height of 236 kilometres which is clearly past the 130 kilometre altitude of the atmosphere, and landed 100 km from the launch site, all ballistically.
The next version will be upscaled to full 1.2 meter size and carry an empty command pod, it should have the same weight, thrust, height, and payload as a real V-2 rocket, while also being controllable due to the gyroscopes. From here on we have a pretty standard KSP.
Edit. Since I'm trying to replicate a low tech initial research program, I've decided to use an iterative design process, as part of this my saves are numerical and the craft files contain notes about modifications and testing results. for example:

One major limitation is that the craft description can only hold 2 pages.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:27:23 am by MarcAFK »
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 848