Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1410080 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Better question, how do you do flight planning? it says it gets unlocked once you upgrade both the tracking and mission control.
Flight Planning = maneuver nodes

And since they fixed the patched conics you can plan a whole mission using them. I did an entire mun transfer, orbit and return just using maneuver nodes I planned out after getting to kerbin orbit.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought there was suppose to be automatic recovery of boosters and the like, yet, every time I try, I see it land safely, yet its still considered a loss. :(
There is no stage recovery in stock, at all. Anything dropped into the atmosphere is deleted once it is outside of your physics range.

There are a few mods for that though.

Even when they're landing before going out of range they still can't be recovered for any cash unless they have a core/pilot. Unless modded, of course. I should check the numbers, because either the fuel, engines, and SRBs are only half the cost of my rocket, or it's more expensive than I'm remembering.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I have a little drone core/claw combo that I shoot into space to grab spent stages discarded in orbit and then deorbit them for recoevery. Mostly I do this at a loss of cash but I use Stagerecovery and KCT so I keep the parts themselves for reuse and it cleans up space.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

So, I'm finally getting ready to do a round trip to the Mun, after having set up a small science base there (Little dissapointed with how little science the lab produces.).  But, after thinking about how not needing to retrieve the lab made that mission a lot easier, I realized how easy it would be to launch a mission to, say, Duna. Then, with the science I get from that, I might just be able to get enough to reach for the mining extractor, which I can then use to finish up the base and set up a small portable rocket that would go around to the different biomes.  Is there any way to get science labs to produce more then a third of a science a day? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't researched them yet, but my understanding is that you need to process science in them in order to raise their research rate, and that it is supposed to decay over time.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

DMP is updated, but my server provided has issues

https://twitter.com/cloudatcost/status/593784744430608385

will keep you posted as soon as I can start it >:[

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

After making my first plane of this version, gotta say that the aerodynamics are a LOT more fun now. It has the crazy speed of FAR without your plane exploding into a billion pieces from a small turn.

Hell, I was doing fucking loop-de-loops at 300m/s in a hastily thrown together low-tech thing. And I can land like a fucking boss because the landing gear has more than 2 inches of clearance.

Love this new aero (when heat-shields aren't involved :P)

Speaking of which, anyone else have heat-shields just straight up NOT DO ANYTHING? I mean, I used the fix that lets you actually point it where it needs to go and it's STILL useless. Been popping chutes at 30000 kilometers because otherwise my ship burns up and explodes while the heat shield doesn't lose a single fucking ablation point.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:53:03 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't researched them yet, but my understanding is that you need to process science in them in order to raise their research rate, and that it is supposed to decay over time.
I have it at nearly full science (485/500 data), which is why I'm getting .3 science versus .00185 or something.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess you have to wait a long time for any meaningful output then. I wonder if you get more output by putting it somewhere with a massive multiplier?

As for heat shields, I've mostly avoided using them since they've been unnecessary so far.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of which, anyone else have heat-shields just straight up NOT DO ANYTHING? I mean, I used the fix that lets you actually point it where it needs to go and it's STILL useless. Been popping chutes at 30000 kilometers because otherwise my ship burns up and explodes while the heat shield doesn't lose a single fucking ablation point.
I haven't seen anything like that. Usually my heat shields provide perfect protection for reentry unless there are parts sticking out or it isn't lined up with retrograde properly. Actually, I've been having the exact opposite problem. During ascent the heat shields act as insulators, and if you just have the 1.25m pod as your reentry vehicle the heat buildup can easily cause it to explode during a shallow ascent.

Do scientists have any experience bonuses besides better lab performance? I know it says they get a bonus to science recovery but I tested that and couldn't find any difference.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

I haven't seen anything like that. Usually my heat shields provide perfect protection for reentry unless there are parts sticking out or it isn't lined up with retrograde properly. Actually, I've been having the exact opposite problem. During ascent the heat shields act as insulators, and if you just have the 1.25m pod as your reentry vehicle the heat buildup can easily cause it to explode during a shallow ascent.
I'm guessing that like a sucking chest wound, that's just nature's way of telling you to slow down. :P If you're using SRBs, you might want to check the percent thrust you've tuned them for by right-clicking them in the VAB, and if liquid rockets, throttle back.  Mach effects on lift-off are a caution sign, and burn-ups due to atmospheric shock mean that you're definitely going too fast too soon.  Actually, I figured out that this was one of the reasons I was having problems reaching orbit; I wasn't entering my gravity turns early enough due to my memories of FAR telling me that doing this in thick atmosphere was a good way to toast my rocket.  With adjustments to the thrust on my SRBs and a mildly easier aero implementation in new-stock, I'm not having quite as many issues any more. 
((The other major reason was apparently because Isp of the engines was rebalanced at some point, but details.))

I actually must be one of the few people that didn't need the physics fix for heat ablators.  At least, not yet; I've only been using the pod and its attachments as the re-entry vehicle, EVA'ing all of the science into it before re-entry.  I did burn off a couple barometers by accident before I moved them to the top of the pod hatch, but I haven't had any pods actually flip on me yet. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:11:22 pm by Culise »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

'I think you need to level them up once first.  It will say something along the lines of "+15 analysis" Or something along those lines.  Pretty worthwhile to have them on those science missions, since they can often net you at least enough science for one more tech.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scientists are not supposed to provide any bonus until they reach 1-star.  I seem to remember that they could properly generate a bonus in 0.90, but I'm sorry to say that I have only yet orbited pilots and VIPs so I have no test from 1.0. 

I think they can only get up to 2-stars within the Kerbin system, after that they need to visit another body (even exiting the Kerbin SOI for a year to orbit Kerbol should count) to reach 3-stars.  Used to be that there was no effect beyond 3 stars, and no word yet that this has changed in 1.0

I read that they can also reset experiments now (where previously it required a lab) so that's a big deal.  Only needing one materials bay instead of 4.. or however many.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

So, now that 1.0's out and Saint's been gone for four years, what are opinions on starting a new thread with an updated OP and whatnot?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I must confess to not having read the OP until now. :P
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 848