Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413934 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12420 on: November 12, 2015, 12:49:03 am »

Started a new career, built a tinyjet using the new Juno engines, and landed it at KSC without a parachute. Didn't exactly land ON the runway, but frankly the grass is more forgiving than a lvl 1 runway anyhow. Still....makes me want to don a pair of Aviators and pop a beer to celebrate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12421 on: November 12, 2015, 12:56:58 am »

And I widh the contracts were less random, and built more on existing stations with missions like resupply, ferry civilian scientist, rotate crew, install science module, increase power storage, etc.

Isn't that part of this update?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12422 on: November 12, 2015, 05:47:24 am »

Started a new career, built a tinyjet using the new Juno engines, and landed it at KSC without a parachute. Didn't exactly land ON the runway, but frankly the grass is more forgiving than a lvl 1 runway anyhow. Still....makes me want to don a pair of Aviators and pop a beer to celebrate.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Any landing where you can use the entire craft afterwards is... one that makes Jebidiah think something isn't being done right.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12423 on: November 12, 2015, 10:10:29 am »

And I widh the contracts were less random, and built more on existing stations with missions like resupply, ferry civilian scientist, rotate crew, install science module, increase power storage, etc.

Isn't that part of this update?

That was my understanding yes...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12424 on: November 12, 2015, 12:59:24 pm »

Wow, the change list for contracts sounds pretty cool.  I didn't think this stuff was coming until 1.1

So what was LoSboccacc meaning here?  What programmey parts got dumped?

departure of NovaSilisko dealt a huge blow to the 'program' part of kerbal space.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12425 on: November 12, 2015, 06:02:43 pm »

I like the idea of space-x style recovery barges, even though there is currently no penalty for just landing in water.
Apart from the fact water tears your ship to shreds if you land at any decent speed which would be fine on land with decent landing legs.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12426 on: November 25, 2015, 08:17:10 am »

How do you land things near each other on the same spot, repeatedly? ;-; it's my biggest issue with building Mun bases, I can't land close enough.

Docking in orbit, on the other hand, is really easy.

Maybe I should get mechjeb, I heard it has auto-landing...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12427 on: November 25, 2015, 08:51:21 am »

my strategy is: first build the whole thing to stand on rover wheels, so that required accuracy is in the kilometers range ( depends on how long I am willing to drive). Then also be sure it can hover reasonably, so that final approach is easier.

Then when I am in orbit at the target body, I use manoeuvre nodes. I plot a course that puts me just beyond the target, then when I am getting close I start the retro burn.

usually gets me a kilometer or so from target, if I didn't bring much fuel for hovering and corrections. but that is why I have wheels. ( that and making sure modules have the same height so I can dock easily)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12428 on: November 25, 2015, 08:57:14 am »

Skyrunner: Use map view, then deorbit at a shallow angle so the projected impact is behind where you want to land. Switch to ship view, then time your braking so you land right where you want to land. It helps if you rotate the ship upright (so WASD turns the ship in the right direction), and it also helps to set the landing site as a target, so you can adjust your course using the antitarget marker on the navball.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12429 on: November 25, 2015, 09:09:23 am »

Well... after multiple annoying things in a row:

(I finally planned-crash-landed my supply probe near the target after like ten tries, but it turns out that the new KAS/KIS means you have to be an engineer and have an electric drill to detach and reattach parts, and I had a Scientist and no drill)
(Also you can't 'dock' two parts with a winch, so my life support supplies were literally 10 meters away from the main ship and I couldn't load them in)
(This was after using the backup thrusters on the probe to drag it along the ground to the target)

... I'm experimenting with mechjeb. Its gravity burn is beautiful, and so is the transfer to Mun. Time to see if it lands as well...

edit: apparently putting too many parts near each other causes spontaneous explosion...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:23:39 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12430 on: November 25, 2015, 11:20:20 am »

How do you land things near each other on the same spot, repeatedly? ;-; it's my biggest issue with building Mun bases, I can't land close enough.

Docking in orbit, on the other hand, is really easy.

Maybe I should get mechjeb, I heard it has auto-landing...

Mechjeb can often land directly on top of your existing structure. Hopefully it's not a pointy rocket you're trying to land near. Offset the smaller number target by 20 or more.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12431 on: November 25, 2015, 01:27:13 pm »

yeah first time I underestimated the precision of 'land at target' and pancaked the rescue expedition on top of the stranded one.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12432 on: November 25, 2015, 02:19:57 pm »

Mechjeb is a great way to see how it is done. If you want to do it yourself, there's a few different methods. GoSlash27 has a thorough explanation of  one here.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12433 on: November 25, 2015, 02:31:35 pm »

Mechjeb is a great way to see how it is done. If you want to do it yourself, there's a few different methods. GoSlash27 has a thorough explanation of  one here.

wait, what does this guy mean that the suicide burn is "hugely wasteful of fuel" ???

Isn't the most efficient way to traverse a gravity well (or anything) to burn for as short a time as possible at the endpoints of your journey?

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12434 on: November 25, 2015, 04:07:58 pm »

I believe the thinking is that manual suicide burns are very hard to time precisely, and precision landing is also difficult to achieve. Fixing up afterwards is costly.
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 848