Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413839 times)

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12435 on: November 25, 2015, 04:27:55 pm »

He's using an odd defintion of suicide burn - kill your orbital velocity, drop to the surface, then kill that velocity just in time. That method is inefficient. However, suicide burn properly refers to the final maneuver. Its the most efficient method of landing from any trajectory that intersects the ground. Any other method takes longer, which means you're spending more time fighting gravity and have more velocity to burn off overall.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12436 on: November 25, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »

Manual suicide burns are actually rather easy to time. When you're on a (preferably shallow) trajectory impacting shortly behind the target, go to map view, make a full stop maneuver node directly above the target, and check estimated burn time, let's say it's N. Then just execute the maneuver almost exactly like a regular maneuver, i.e. start burning full throttle towards maneuver node at T minus N/2, adjusting in radial/antiradial direction if you feel like you're falling too fast or too slow. While burning, if you need to land somewhere specific, make sure to constantly adjust your trajectory so it always goes straight over the target in map view, overshooting the target by a bit (the anti-target marker helps). When you can't zoom further into map view, switch to ship view. For the close approach, make sure your retrograde marker stays directly below the anti-target marker. As the anti-target marker approaches the up pole, make your retrograde marker approach the anti-target marker. This way, you should land directly on top of your target. When you're close enough, as usual, land by snapping to the retrograde marker.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: November 27, 2015, 08:57:42 pm »

Mechjeb is a great way to see how it is done. If you want to do it yourself, there's a few different methods. GoSlash27 has a thorough explanation of  one here.

wait, what does this guy mean that the suicide burn is "hugely wasteful of fuel" ???

Isn't the most efficient way to traverse a gravity well (or anything) to burn for as short a time as possible at the endpoints of your journey?
Not quite, you need to change your periapsis marker to almost intersect with your landing site, which is more efficiently done at the preceding apoapsis, but less accurately so.
Then you need to kill velocity before hitting the ground, the most efficient way of doing that is air braking with or without parachutes. Or lithobreaking. Of course the final braking burn or whatever moves the final periapsis marker which you need to take into account.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: February 09, 2016, 10:32:15 am »

I just started playing yesterday. Jebediah Kerman burned to earth like a North Korean missile and was incinerated along with all his science. Dammit. Valentina! Get in the rocket!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: February 09, 2016, 08:47:15 pm »

This thread needs some life. I've started a new career game with a bunch of USI packs, I intend to make an undersea base on laythe.
Oh and replicate a bunch of stupid shit from youtube, because yolo.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: February 09, 2016, 08:49:31 pm »

I really need to play this game again. I still haven't ever gone to another planet

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12441 on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:18 am »

I can't replicate are the welding mod Kerbal cloning bug. My Ker-popcorn machine shall go undeveloped.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: February 10, 2016, 01:23:13 am »

How about Scott Manley's Seperator-Launcher? :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12443 on: February 10, 2016, 06:20:14 pm »

I've been waiting for 1.1 and 64bit support to start my new career

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12444 on: February 11, 2016, 01:42:16 am »

How about Scott Manley's Seperator-Launcher? :P
Working on some science!
Anybody know how to make infernal robotics not suck? :(
I'm tying to make a simple free swinging hinge but parts not clipping makes it hard.
I was hoping to be able to set a free swinging washer to only swing in one direction. Or alternatively have one of the IR hinges be unpowered so it would just swing when impacted by a flying Kerbal.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12445 on: February 11, 2016, 03:53:29 pm »

Same. Is there any idea when it's going to come? I thought it was supposed to hit months ago.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12446 on: February 11, 2016, 06:35:35 pm »

1.1 is nearing, I think it's actually out in the wild among the experimental testers. Wouldn't be surprised if it still took a few weeks still though, that was a massive undertaking going from unity 4 to 5.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12447 on: February 11, 2016, 06:53:24 pm »

Same. Is there any idea when it's going to come? I thought it was supposed to hit months ago.
They just pushed the antenna system back beyond 1.1 so probably soonish. I'd estimate 2-3 weeks

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12448 on: February 12, 2016, 08:19:23 am »

they finally fixed the gear key so you need to hit it only once first time, allegedly, and the rest are bugfixes. luckily porting to playstation didn't take development time eh?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12449 on: February 12, 2016, 08:34:09 am »

They just pushed the antenna system back beyond 1.1

That was a major bummer. 

I can keep using RemoteTech, but they never updated the RT flight computer to be more in line with the new stock autopilot / pilot skills.  And I always felt like the antennas and cores never got re balanced against the new versions, so I was looking forward to something that meshed together better with the stock tech tree.

Oh well.  I guess I'll wait until 1.1.5 or 1.2 to really start playing again.  1.1 will doubtless be riddled with bugs related to the major overhaul, anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 848