Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1409551 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12660 on: October 12, 2016, 11:14:14 am »

Every mod in their forum gets hammered by "updoot now!" for a few pages after a KSP release before moderators come and clean it up.

aaaand? sure it's annoying, but from there to going ballistic there are more reasonable courses of action. beside he likes the spotlight, he didn't even keept it down more than 24 hours.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12661 on: October 12, 2016, 01:02:26 pm »

Every mod in their forum gets hammered by "updoot now!" for a few pages after a KSP release before moderators come and clean it up.
Yes, but most of them don't go nuclear and delete their own work over it.

Exactly my point.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12662 on: October 12, 2016, 01:06:41 pm »

Exactly my point.
Ah sorry, sounded like you were excusing his behavior.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: October 12, 2016, 01:16:00 pm »

Exactly my point.
Ah sorry, sounded like you were excusing his behavior.

Heck no. He's not that special of a flower. Sarbian has been at this a long time and I know he reads the forums.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: October 12, 2016, 03:41:48 pm »

Why does every new KSP version seem to break all the mods I have installed? Sigh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12665 on: October 12, 2016, 03:48:39 pm »

Why does every new KSP version seem to break all the mods I have installed? Sigh.

Because new versions bring new code which behaves differently? Honestly why would you expect them not to break?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: October 12, 2016, 04:46:03 pm »

Because new versions bring new code which behaves differently? Honestly why would you expect them not to break?

yeah games usually do shit about modding forward compatibility, even if it has proven times and times again to lead into modders burning out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: October 12, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »

>implying it's not ludicrously difficult to do that

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: October 12, 2016, 05:07:37 pm »

Especially with KSP which, as far as I can tell, supports DLL injection with its mods. Good luck maintaining forward-compatibility with that.

In fact, most mods use it extensively. You can't add any new features to the game without it. You can add new parts that have similar functionality to existing parts, but that's almost entirely it.

KER, Kopernicus, StageRecovery any lighting changes, transfer window planner, EVA handrails, modularflightintegrator, module manager and KAC all require this. Note that I named all but one of the mods there. That last one should still work, but I wouldn't be surprised if CKAN's a butt about it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: October 12, 2016, 05:10:13 pm »

CKAN is awful. More trouble than it's worth especially for certain mod authors that nest their work in one folder.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12670 on: October 12, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »

CKAN is awful. More trouble than it's worth especially for certain mod authors that nest their work in one folder.
Worse, I've seen CKAN mods flagged for versions that they absolutely DO NOT work for, and it will quite happily install them anyway royally fucking your setup. I just install everything manually, just like I do with Skyrim and Fallout 3/4. Trusting a mod manager for anything beyond the most basic tasks will almost always end in tears unless the game is designed with mod compatibility in mind like Rimworld, and even then it can lead to huge problems if you don't know what you're doing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: October 12, 2016, 05:34:27 pm »

Worse, I've seen CKAN mods flagged for versions that they absolutely DO NOT work for, and it will quite happily install them anyway royally fucking your setup. I just install everything manually, just like I do with Skyrim and Fallout 3/4. Trusting a mod manager for anything beyond the most basic tasks will almost always end in tears unless the game is designed with mod compatibility in mind like Rimworld, and even then it can lead to huge problems if you don't know what you're doing.

As long as you remember how you did it in the first place, yes. Skyrim and Fallout have very specific orders and overwrites for certain mods. Kerbal you always delete the old version, not overwrite.

Mods like the contract one and Strategia require waiting for now. They're too big of an impact in career.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:29:23 pm by BigD145 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: October 12, 2016, 07:04:19 pm »

Nono, mod managers are required where mod installation is complicated. Bethesda's games are an obvious case of this, with load orders n' shit. Kerbal Space Program's mod installation is as such:

1. Download the mod and open the archive. If the folder contained within is "GameData", move on to step 2a, otherwise move to step 2b.
2a. Merge the GameData folder with your KSP install's GameData folder.
2b. Move the folder in the archive to your KSP install's GameData folder.

The only thing you have to worry about on top is dependencies (which are in almost all cases taken care of by the original download) and incompatibilities (which are hideously rare). CKAN tries to take care of both, but the more dependencies, the more likely someone screwed up the metadata or has the wrong version.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:06:08 pm by Putnam »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: October 12, 2016, 07:25:35 pm »

To be frank, the main reason I use CKAN is experience with Bethesda games.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: October 12, 2016, 07:26:36 pm »

Kerbal modders add AND remove parts OR rename them. Copying over is a terrible idea.
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 848