Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413563 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12675 on: October 13, 2016, 08:21:58 pm »

>Sent a probe to Eve for surface datas.
>Was impatient and sent it there in 48 days
>Hit the atmosphere at OVER 9000 m/s
>Explosions happen
>Physics breaks, pieces of probe now levitating 48000 meters above Eve

I accidentally a new anomaly
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12676 on: October 14, 2016, 01:14:09 am »

>Physics breaks, pieces of probe now levitating 48000 meters above Eve

I accidentally a new anomaly

Was watching a video of a guy who managed to accelerate a probe (using infinite fuel) to something like 3% the speed of light. It hit Duna, bounced off, and shot out of the solar system going many times over the speed of light.

Apparently it is possible. Someone inform the scientists!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12677 on: October 14, 2016, 01:56:55 am »

Why does every new KSP version seem to break all the mods I have installed? Sigh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Most often it's because updates to the game engine and code reworks. Old KSP had a lot of spaghetti code.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12678 on: October 15, 2016, 10:25:35 am »

Nono, mod managers are required where mod installation is complicated. Bethesda's games are an obvious case of this, with load orders n' shit. Kerbal Space Program's mod installation is as such:

1. Download the mod and open the archive. If the folder contained within is "GameData", move on to step 2a, otherwise move to step 2b.
2a. Merge the GameData folder with your KSP install's GameData folder.
2b. Move the folder in the archive to your KSP install's GameData folder.

The only thing you have to worry about on top is dependencies (which are in almost all cases taken care of by the original download) and incompatibilities (which are hideously rare). CKAN tries to take care of both, but the more dependencies, the more likely someone screwed up the metadata or has the wrong version.

Call me old-fashioned, but I use JSGME to manage my mods and keep the main installation largely intact.

It's probably somewhat more fiddly than CKAN, but it's a simple program without a layer of issues of its own.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12679 on: October 15, 2016, 12:11:45 pm »

I'm loving the new 'world first' things, even if they are small. It now recognizes rendezvous maneuvers, docking, etc. I got a 'docking near the mun' recently and a bit of cash to celebrate it.

The contracts seem better too. It's quickly learned than I dislike the survey contracts and has given me a lot more science and exploration stuff.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12680 on: November 11, 2016, 06:35:14 pm »

While burning into Eve, Jeb somehow ended up at an altitude of 6 billion kilometers with my EVE base.

I was faced with two options:

1) To use the fuel to burn the craft into a dive back towards the solar system, something that would "only" take a few hundred years. The distant descendents of Kerbals would one day be visited by the dessicated corpse (or possibly the cheerfully-waving form) of their great pioneering astronaut and legendary hero.

2) Burn prograde and see how high he could go before the engine gave up.

I managed 34,000,000,000,000,000 kilometers before the apoapsis was no longer visible on the map. ETA: 701 million years.

Bill's proposal to load up the entire population of kerbals onto one gargantuan ship, then trigger a supernova and "surf" the most powerful blast wave known to science to boost them to a nearby system, snatching Jeb on the way somewhere, was rejected on the grounds of budget cuts.

Interestingly, despite the fact that Jeb's speed is given as 500m/s, Wolfram Alpha suggests that he is in fact going at 0.05c

In unrelated news, the groundbreaking Jool probe/ Laythe Lander was destroyed with all hands when a calculation error meant that their gravity brake around tylo would be happening at an altitude of 45 meters, instead of the intended 45 kilometers
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:40:20 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12681 on: November 11, 2016, 07:11:04 pm »

That's not even some Imperial vs Metric BS there.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12682 on: January 02, 2017, 07:40:31 am »

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/77308-12-routine-mission-manager-v023/#comment-1248843

Holy shit this sounds amazing. It basically lets you record docking missions to a space station and then automatically send the same mission later, making resupply convenient.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12683 on: January 20, 2017, 03:14:59 pm »

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/77308-12-routine-mission-manager-v023/#comment-1248843

Holy shit this sounds amazing. It basically lets you record docking missions to a space station and then automatically send the same mission later, making resupply convenient.

Shame we don't have the multiplayer server anymore.  This could make a really interesting addition.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12684 on: January 20, 2017, 03:29:00 pm »

Shame we don't have the multiplayer server anymore.  This could make a really interesting addition.

Why? With multiplayer you could have players doing resupplies.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12685 on: January 21, 2017, 03:13:34 pm »

I guess so nobody has to do boring stuff personally.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12686 on: January 21, 2017, 03:49:17 pm »

Why? With multiplayer you could have players doing resupplies.

Maybe, but refueling a station is simply unappealing in comparison to working with others to assemble a single ship in orbit for an expedition to a Gas Giant.  Or landing unmanned probes to find the best place to build a colony.  Or engage in multiple gravity slingshots that accidentally crash into the sun.

All moot point if there's no server, though.  Unless someone knows of an existing one we could use.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:52:52 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12687 on: January 21, 2017, 05:05:20 pm »

Decided to look around to see what servers were available.  NoNameShips (Site) seems like it may be a good one.  If anyone wants to join me, I'll be diving in the 'Career' server (address: www.nonameships.pw  port: 6704 Edit: Yeah, switching over to the stock on 6702 instead.  Less stressful.  Plus a mission target didn't spawn for unknown reasons.).  Not many people seem to use it, so it seems to still be in the early stages.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:56:48 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

First step in a project:

Now just another 87 similar launches to go

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

t  o  t  a  l  c  o  v  e  r  a  g  e
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848