Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1398991 times)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

So, I kind of jokingly thought that I'd sooner land on Duna than on the Mun, and then I went ahead and decided to test that. As it turns out, interplanetary travel involves math and makes your head hurt. I ended up orbiting the sun with little hope of ever returning to Kerbin.

Well, sorta math. You can use geometry! A simple travel plan I use that is -accurate- is as follows:
If you are going to a higher orbit, wait until your target planet is tangent forward to you in your origin's orbit. (So, going to Duna from Kerbin, wait until Duna is roughly tangent and ahead of Kerbil's orbit.) Raise your apoapsis along your origin's prograde path. (Go in the direction Kerbin is headlng.) Once you leave the SOI of your origin, you can just keep on going until you have an encounter. (This is basically burning straight at the destination, in the prograde direction of your origin.)

To go to a lower orbit, you have to sort of reverse this. Wait until your origin is prograde tangent of your destination, then burn origin retrograde out of the SOI. And then just keep burning, making minor adjustments as you need.

Probably not the most efficent (Which is to say definitely not) but I find it quite easy and intuitive.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

OKAY HOLY SHIT

FIRST KERBALS ON MINMUS

BILL AND BOB

FUCK YEEEEEEEES

I LOVE YOU MECHJEB.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:06:42 pm by ShoesandHats »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I LOVE YOU MECHJEB.

Nuu, you did it wrong.

"I-I'm only u-using you bec-cause y-you're useful! I-it's not like I l-like you or a-anything!"

:P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

So, I kind of jokingly thought that I'd sooner land on Duna than on the Mun, and then I went ahead and decided to test that. As it turns out, interplanetary travel involves math and makes your head hurt. I ended up orbiting the sun with little hope of ever returning to Kerbin.

*pats* Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

Also there are many things that do math for you. Like the Phase Angle Calculator! And MechJeb! :P
Amusingly, you don't need any of those things if you're willing to overbuild a bit and accept some inefficiency. You don't need to calculate or use mechjeb. Just do what I do...

1. Get yourself into a parking orbit around kerbal. I usually do 500km so I can warp quickly if I need to.
1.5. Escape kerbal orbit, get into an orbit around the sun. (Easy!)
2. Place a maneuver node anywhere along your orbit.
3. Tweak the burn until your projected orbit reaches the orbit line for duna.
4. Grab the maneuver node and drag it around your orbit until you have an encounter.
5. Burn!
6. About 1/2 of the way, do another burn to slightly adjust your course if necessary to get a duna capture. If you're really pro you can do a close pass or two, or even sling around Ike or something, but you don't have to be fancy.

I'll do a manual no-math duna encounter video tomorrow.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Yeah, with a decent craft, it's possible to make stable orbit around a planet with enough fuel to make it back, without the need for orbital refueling post-launch, all without any autopilot. Just need to remember the simple orbital phrase and its implications "equal area in equal time."

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile

Party bus update: F1 is the screenshot key, not printscreen. There goes an hour of testing and pictures.

Perhaps I'll post some tomorrow T_T
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And now there are Kerbals on the Mun! Awh yeah.

Spoiler: MORE AMAZING LANDER (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:24:13 am by ShoesandHats »

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I finally got to duna, but I may have uhhhh, messed up the landing just a bit.  I wanted to use parachutes for the end so I could move around on my rover base, but I forgot to turn the landing engines off before ejecting that stage...
Spoiler: Flight images (click to show/hide)
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it me or is KSP imploding on his own success? A week ago i had some trouble sometime to get on their forum, was laggy but now, these last 3 day im having more and more problem connecting to it.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

That's why I made my copy a Steam copy.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's why I made my copy a Steam copy.

How does that help with mods and craft files?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Didn't have problems when downloading MJ. Don't bother with mods a lot anyway.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I think I could get to Duna now if I just waited eighteen years in real time. Seriously, why must orbiting around the sun be so slow?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want to catch somethin g up in front of you, lower your orbit plane so your orbital velocity increase, then make a maneuver node and get your apoapse HIGHER than the target planet, once done simply move your maneuver node untill your see an influence capture.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

one does not simply maneuver nodes
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 848