Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1398591 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

one does not simply maneuver nodes

one does not maneuver nodes at all

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

...I do. Even if I dont have mechjeb I can get pretty much anywhere by messing with nodes.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

...I do. Even if I dont have mechjeb I can get pretty much anywhere by messing with nodes.
Manuver nodes are pretty darn useful, yeah.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I can't do shit without nodes.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Things were pretty rough before nodes, yes.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Things were pretty rough before internet ( research wise, hours and hours at the local library ) Now, its easier, so you dont use it? why not use tools at your disposal? Dont you use calculator sometime? Bah enough of that XD
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Things were pretty rough before internet ( research wise, hours and hours at the local library ) Now, its easier, so you dont use it? why not use tools at your disposal? Dont you use calculator sometime? Bah enough of that XD
Huh? Nodes are a great thing. They make the game a lot better.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Im for the nodes, but some purist says they shouldnt be in or something... I dont think i understand fully here, but thats what my french head understand.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

S'alright. I have a way with words that can even confound native english speakers. Nodes = good.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Interesting... I was plotting a maneuver to fully reverse the orbital plane (of a circular orbit) from 180º to 0º by raising the apoapsis, reverse the planes at the new apoapsis and finally lower the apoapsis to its original height and I wanted to find the minimum apoapsis where the maneuver would be more efficient than a straight retrograde burn on the original orbit. Turns out, in KSP any higher apoapsis seems to do. I also found the minimum amount of delta-v required for this maneuver to be roughly 41.4% of the delta-v for the simple retrograde burn. In other words, you save at most 58.6% delta-v doing this maneuver, the higher the better. (Or in KSP's case, aim for an apoapsis close to SoI.) Furthermore, with an apoapsis at least 8 times higher than the circular orbit, you'll save at least 50% delta-v.

Example, if you're orbiting Eve (Radius 0.7 Mm) at 1 Mm (1 Mm + 0.7 Mm = 1.7 Mm), you can save 50% delta-v with a "work" apoapsis at 12.9 Mm (1.7 Mm * 8 - 0.7 Mm).

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I opened the spoilers expecting pretty pictures but alas, *gasp* there's only math...  :-[

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

I opened the spoilers expecting pretty pictures but alas, *gasp* there's only math...  :-[
I suppose you want some empirical evidence? :P

Spoiler: Simple retrograde (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Maneuver (click to show/hide)

Total DV for maneuver is 881.96 m/s compared to the simple 1748.8 m/s. The apoapsis is a bit lower than "50%-efficiency" height (50% was outside SoI at the time). Actual efficiency was at 49.7%.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 848