Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1398525 times)

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yes, that's the stuff, mighty sexy orbits you got there mate !
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:47:01 pm by Mookzen »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Hm. Would lowering the periapsis prior to raising the apoapsis result in any delta-v savings? I mean, due to the oberth effect and whatnot? I.e. you want to reverse a 2000km orbit. Lower to 70km, burn at new periapsis till maximum apoapsis, retro burn at new apoapsis till orbit reversed and periapsis=2000km, circularize at new periapsis. I'm not quite familiar enough with the intricacies of orbital mechanics, but the experimenter in me demands to know. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

It might be possible if you aim for a periapsis at a moon, but not the planet itself, as it appears to only be in effect for escape trajectories according to Scott Manley (Mentioned near the end).
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Interesting... I was plotting a maneuver to fully reverse the orbital plane (of a circular orbit) from 180º to 0º by raising the apoapsis, reverse the planes at the new apoapsis and finally lower the apoapsis to its original height and I wanted to find the minimum apoapsis where the maneuver would be more efficient than a straight retrograde burn on the original orbit. Turns out, in KSP any higher apoapsis seems to do. I also found the minimum amount of delta-v required for this maneuver to be roughly 41.4% of the delta-v for the simple retrograde burn. In other words, you save at most 58.6% delta-v doing this maneuver, the higher the better. (Or in KSP's case, aim for an apoapsis close to SoI.) Furthermore, with an apoapsis at least 8 times higher than the circular orbit, you'll save at least 50% delta-v.

Example, if you're orbiting Eve (Radius 0.7 Mm) at 1 Mm (1 Mm + 0.7 Mm = 1.7 Mm), you can save 50% delta-v with a "work" apoapsis at 12.9 Mm (1.7 Mm * 8 - 0.7 Mm).

Good god.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

I LANDED ON IKE. CLOSE ENOUGH.

I didn't have enough fuel to land on Duna without exploding horribly. Still! It's something!

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

AND NOW ON EVE. LOOK OUT, KERBOL SYSTEM, HERE I COME.

Thank god for parachutes.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

I INVADED MOHO. WITH PROBES. ALL YOUR KETHANE ARE BELONGS TO US.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Youknow, you have all these people saying that these videos are good and use nice mods, i say now:
Have a channel where KSP has space battles WITH NO MODS. It can be a bit... odd sometimes, but hey, NO MODS.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaceyDean
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

i think that's the 4rth time that's been posted

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

It's worth every single mention.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

Youknow, you have all these people saying that these videos are good and use nice mods, i say now:
Have a channel where KSP has space battles WITH NO MODS. It can be a bit... odd sometimes, but hey, NO MODS.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaceyDean
Mentioned... twice, AFAIK, I posted it first, then a couple of pages after, someone else posted it again.
actually, it was posted twice, but it was mentioned a third and a fourth time, by... that's right, the guy who brought it up a fifth time.

someone already has carrier battles. with no mods used. I am not lying.
I know, there is the links a couple pages ago. This is AWESOME.

Hey, something you probably want to check out:

The carrier w/o mods. look on you tube. if you get some dude talking about a giant space-carrier, then you might be there. even more so if they dont use mods.
Its been linked and discussed here before if you're talking about the one I think you are. Without you providing a link there's no way to know.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

wow. i suck. i really cant read shit...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Its really not. I mean it was interesting for one or two views but the same guy has posted it every time and tbh its getting damn annoying. Stop spamming our thread with your favorite video.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its really not. I mean it was interesting for one or two views but the same guy has posted it every time and tbh its getting damn annoying. Stop spamming our thread with your favorite video.
Can i post video i made? pritty please? On a more serious note, if you want my point of view, posting it once every 2 page in my book is acceptable, but for the majority of our community its just past the spam line in general, unless its something REALLY worth it, wich this video is near that thresold.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Mmm. Didn't realize it was the same guy >.<
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 848