Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1398920 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, remember waaay back when I built that hybrid airship and took it up to what I considered absurd speeds?

Well, that was before I got used to actually throttling back jet engines. And so I did it again just now, with... well, very different results, to the tune of about 400 m/s faster and around 20,000 meters higher at maximum. Also intake abuse, though not nearly as much as that on the Firebug. Behold, the robotic Miriam being awesome and looking awesome:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note: I had an idea wherein I would launch the mechjeb cockpit off at the apex of its flight (45,000 m or so, as it turned out) but that did not end up being a thing that happened. Oh well. I got amazing pictures, so hey.

Other Note: The Mechjeb pod's 'eye' effects are pretty bitchin'. Just saying.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:40:51 pm by Twi »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

And the ting is thats its not my favorite...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

I've finally figured out docking without mechjeb. And now that I have done it, I plan on never doing it without mechjeb again. So I've been wasting all my time on getting ginormous space station parts into orbit as well as refueling stations across the solar system. Now I'm abusing space planes.

Also, as a side note, one of my first few satellites has just cleared the edge of the Solar System.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, remember waaay back when I built that hybrid airship and took it up to what I considered absurd speeds?

Well, that was before I got used to actually throttling back jet engines. And so I did it again just now, with... well, very different results, to the tune of about 400 m/s faster and around 20,000 meters higher at maximum. Also intake abuse, though not nearly as much as that on the Firebug. Behold, the robotic Miriam being awesome and looking awesome:
Cool, you should post that on Hooligan's thread (well, once KSP's forums are back up). He'd get a kick out of it!

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Cool, you should post that on Hooligan's thread (well, once KSP's forums are back up). He'd get a kick out of it!
That reminds me, I swear I had a KSP forum account... :P

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've finally figured out docking without mechjeb. And now that I have done it, I plan on never doing it without mechjeb again. So I've been wasting all my time on getting ginormous space station parts into orbit as well as refueling stations across the solar system. Now I'm abusing space planes.

Also, as a side note, one of my first few satellites has just cleared the edge of the Solar System.

You can't gravitational slingshot on the sun, the object you are slingshotting around needs to be in orbit.( I know technically the sun is in a tiny orbit dominated by Jupiter, so a tiny slingshot should be possible, but negligible)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

You can't gravitational slingshot on the sun, the object you are slingshotting around needs to be in orbit.( I know technically the sun is in a tiny orbit dominated by Jupiter, so a tiny slingshot should be possible, but negligible)

It went past Duna and was flung close to Jool. Poor wording on my part, but Kerbol's sun pulled me into the correct path.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

AND NOW I'M ON DUNA

Spoiler: Martian Sunrise (click to show/hide)

Finally.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are the forums back up yet?
There was a news article on the site saying that they were back up last Friday, but nothing seems to have changed forums wise
Magma is overrated.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Someday I'll have to try this mechjeb thing I keep hearing of.
My experience with mechjeb autopilot has been rather poor. It fails at landing.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Someday I'll have to try this mechjeb thing I keep hearing of.
My experience with mechjeb autopilot has been rather poor. It fails at landing.
If it fails at landing it must be because you have a too poor TWR during suicidal burn ( last full thrust burn before touchdown ). Myself never had any problem for rocket landing, as for plane landing well i always do them manualy, never tried auto-landing with planes.

Also when you do a rocket landing you must make sure you start from a high enough orbit or well... wont work.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Landing is the thing it does best o_O, assuming you have enough thrust and fuel of course.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Recently I have had trouble building planes. No matter what i do, they refuse to take off without crashing in violent explosions.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your first plane should have the center of lift a LITTLE bit behind the center of mass and make sure you even out the fuel tanks as they deplete the center of mass will move so act accordingly, but most of the time having center of lift behind the center of mass is the best way to go, always dont get lazy on lift power you need LOTS of them to be stable and also these little flap thingy? place as many of them as possible, at least thats how i do it and serves me well.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

And remember to spacetape. It's a plane, not a bird. Unless you want it to be a bird.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 848