Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1411542 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

My first working plane was before they showed center of mass and lift. Interestingly, I couldn't re-create it using them.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Your first plane should have the center of lift a LITTLE bit behind the center of mass and make sure you even out the fuel tanks as they deplete the center of mass will move so act accordingly, but most of the time having center of lift behind the center of mass is the best way to go, always dont get lazy on lift power you need LOTS of them to be stable and also these little flap thingy? place as many of them as possible, at least thats how i do it and serves me well.

Flaps also exploit the aerodynamic system, so there's that. :P

This also brings me to a question I've had: Why is it good to have the center of lift behind the center of mass, anyways? I mean, I've seen that it seems to really help with takeoff, at least. But I really dunno why.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Someday I'll have to try this mechjeb thing I keep hearing of.
My experience with mechjeb autopilot has been rather poor. It fails at landing.
If it fails at landing it must be because you have a too poor TWR during suicidal burn ( last full thrust burn before touchdown ). Myself never had any problem for rocket landing, as for plane landing well i always do them manualy, never tried auto-landing with planes.

Also when you do a rocket landing you must make sure you start from a high enough orbit or well... wont work.
I had four radial tanks full of fuel.

Mechjeb didn't even engage the engines, preferring to maneuver into landing position but not actually doing anything. I tried three times then just landed manually, on the Mun.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Your first plane should have the center of lift a LITTLE bit behind the center of mass and make sure you even out the fuel tanks as they deplete the center of mass will move so act accordingly, but most of the time having center of lift behind the center of mass is the best way to go, always dont get lazy on lift power you need LOTS of them to be stable and also these little flap thingy? place as many of them as possible, at least thats how i do it and serves me well.

Flaps also exploit the aerodynamic system, so there's that. :P

This also brings me to a question I've had: Why is it good to have the center of lift behind the center of mass, anyways? I mean, I've seen that it seems to really help with takeoff, at least. But I really dunno why.
Load up a basic spaceplane, turn on CoM, CoL and CoT and rotate its pitch. Note the resultant torque direction (including drag) and vary it for various amounts of torque.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

If it fails at landing it must be because you have a too poor TWR during suicidal burn ( last full thrust burn before touchdown ). Myself never had any problem for rocket landing, as for plane landing well i always do them manualy, never tried auto-landing with planes.

Also when you do a rocket landing you must make sure you start from a high enough orbit or well... wont work.

Mechjeb didn't even engage the engines, preferring to maneuver into landing position but not actually doing anything. I tried three times then just landed manually, on the Mun.
Thats... odd. Did you have electricity? I believe it does require electricity to function.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

it requires the power.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

Well, I got caught by the gravity of Jool. Now, that in it of itself might not seem very big, but keep in mind that this rocket was originally designed to get to Duna. I didn't establish an orbit around Jool, but I still got caught by it. The fact that this rocket can get that far impresses me. Keep in mind, this thing has a heavy-ass lander sitting on top of it the whole time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I recently used a rocket intended for the mun to get out of the solar system :D

(with some help from tylo, mun and jool)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

Yay! I finally landed on the Mun! Thanks, Mech Jeb!

It's important to select a target on the surface for landing, I think. At least, Mech Jeb didn't seem to want to do much about the unoptimal horizontal speed I was going until I did that. Heck, Mech Jeb even handled having to eject a set of engines during braking pretty well. I'm pretty sure I would have crashed and burned even if conditions were ideal.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Today I learned that rcm thrusters can overheat and explode. TMYK...

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never saw RCS truster blow up on me o.O
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Never saw RCS truster blow up on me o.O
Fun fact: Everything in Kerbal Space Program, including structural components and wings, can overheat and explode.

Heat Tolerance stat, nuff said. :P

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

....what the hell were you doing that caused the RCS block to overheat?!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Probably mounting it to the bottom of a mainsail.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Probably mounting it to the bottom of a mainsail.
While I feel ashamed to say this as a Bay12er: WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THINGS HOLY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?

:P
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 848