Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413368 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Something along the lines of "try to make the B12 space program real in KSP".
Which may or may not be impossible.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something along the lines of "try to make the B12 space program real in KSP".
Which may or may not be impossible.

everything is possible when you abuse MODS

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Try it without. Its more interesting.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Although I wouldn't mind Alarm Clock and Subassembly.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Although I wouldn't mind Alarm Clock and Subassembly.
I havent tried those yet.
Highly Opinionated Fool

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

I wouldn't mind Alarm Clock and Subassembly.
I havent tried those yet.
They are both excellent.

In other modding news, Hooligan Labs is now making a submarine mod. Controllable submersibles may finally see the light of day!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder if they will eventually become official... You know, to explore the seas of other worlds.
Highly Opinionated Fool

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

It would sure be great. Exploring the depths of Laythe while panning a camera that works underwater...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:39:44 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The new version of Mission Control nerfed jet engines hard by raising their price to about 34000. This has led me to make some new ultra-cheep designs.

I tried that one before any of the mods were updated to see if I could make a teeny tiny asparagus with the new engine. It turns out that there's some issues with those tanks' fuel flow that makes it so it doesn't work like a normal asparagus staging rocket. The fuel can flow from the center tanks outward and the engines that should run out of fuel first keep going.

That one is OK-ish but wastes a massive amount of dV due to atmospheric friction.

That's the one I currently use for most lifts. The booster gets the main engine up enough to be quite efficient. I'm still using the old engine for the satellite itself because while the new one is more efficient it's also much heavier.

EDIT: Those were taken in Mission Controller Extended 0.12. The current version is 0.16 and most of the costs have changed but the relative usefulness of the above designs doesn't seem to have changed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:33:28 pm by Leonon »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With that mod wouldnt it e best to simply make a SSTO that can deploy small to medium payload? I mean the only thing you will really pay would be fuel no? since you bring back everything exept the fuel + payload.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Go stock. I find it's the best thing to really flex your creative muscles. If you want to make an "easy mode" SSTO, then remember - the effectiveness is proportional to the amount of lift, and the amount of air intakes. Make an aircraft that can fly on two or three turbojets, then give it enough rockets to produce at least as much thrust (more the merrier), give it enough wings/lifting surfaces to take off easily in those conditions, then cram as many intakes on it as you can. At least five or six per engine will do. Make sure it controls well and has RCS. Add an action group to toggle all of your jet engines and air intakes simultaneously. Add an action group to toggle your rockets as well. Your goal is to take off and reach as high an altitude and speed on turbojets as you can - you'll be flying pretty much level by the end of the ascent. Once you can't keep the jets running anymore (with that setup it'll be at around 30Km and some five times the speed of sound), fire rockets, cut jets, and pitch up (with RCS). Get out of the rest of the atmosphere as fast as possible, wait till your apoapsis is at 100km or thereabouts, cut rockets, coast until you're in space, and circularize.

That's if you want a spaceplane SSTO.

For a rocket SSTO you just need a gaggle of fuel tanks and aerospikes. Keep the acceleration around two G's during ascent, and just plain fly up into orbit.

And yes, you're not spending anything but fuel with an SSTO.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Assuming you don't mess up, that is.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

A note when using Mechjeb and SSTOs: Mechjeb assumes that all engines that are not on the current stage will be used, but on the current stage it only counts the ones that are enabled. So for proper mechjeb readouts, press space once on the runway to turn on all of your engines, then turn off all the ones you don't want. THEN turn on throttle. This will allow Mechjeb to correctly account for things.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 848