Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1410534 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Kerbin city has had a release!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Woo!
Woo?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've built my first ugly but self sufficient colony!

Now I can build on the colony itself the crafts to build a better colony :)

Woo!
Woo?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/47666-Kerbin-City-OPENS!-Build-1

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5240 on: September 01, 2013, 09:38:53 am »

So my friend couldn't get into orbit.  We turned on skype and screen sharing, and I showed her how to build a stable rocket.  Then she asked about Mechjeb...

I turned on my screenshare, and built...
Cockpit + parachutes
Solid Booster
Decoupler
Long 1m Fuel
Nuclear Engine
Decoupler
1m -> 3m structural cone
3m Large Orange Fuel + 6x Asparagus
Mainsail

Using Mechjeb 2.  I showed her how it'll get into a 100m orbit easily, and got my nuclear drive, solid booster, and capsule up with ~3/4 fuel tank left.  She said "Impress me" so I said "Let's go to Eve."  With ~1,500 Delta V on my nuclear drive, I set up an interception for Mun, tapping and tugging the maneuver node to get a crash course.  I let Mechjeb take us to the sphere of influence change, then set an immediate maneuver to bring periapsis to 5km.  It did perfectly, and we passed so close to the surface of Mun that I actually pulled in my solar panels and angled my ship because I was afraid of hitting a mountain!  Luckily, being so close gave a SUPERB gravity boost, and we quickly left the sphere of influence of Mun, and then Kerbin, entering a Solar orbit.  Using Mechjeb, I then set up an inclination change and Homman transfer, but alas ran out of fuel halfway through the Homman!

So what's a little Jebediah to do?  Stuck on a single solid rocket booster in solar orbit...  Well, I said I was getting to Eve didn't I?  I did a quick google, the stage had ~1,275 Delta V left, an SRB burns for 30 seconds, and Eve has an atmosphere.  So I made a maneuver node, and set it to "Retrograde 1,275" to try and drop orbit far enough for an Eve intercept.  Then played with the time, pushing the maneuver node forwards and backwards by 10's of minutes, then 1's of minutes, then by the seconds, until it would show an intercept that had no periapsis - a collision with Eve.  I time warped to the node, waited until T - 15s and burned the solid rocket.

With parachutes deployed, we slam into the atmosphere of Eve at something like 15km/s or so.  Thankfully the SRB is on the bottom, and takes most of the atmospheric shock as it rapidly slows down at over 15 G-Forces (that's as high as the meter foes!), the solar panels rip off, the chutes deploy, and the capsule touches down - detaching from the SRB with the force of landing at 2.5m/s and leaving the capsule on a slight hill on the surface of Eve.

And that's when I realize that Mechjeb is placed directly over the capsule door, and that we've taken Jebediah, and welded him inside a tin can using Mechanical Jebediah.  My friend muttered, "That's dark."

So that's how, at 2am, I managed to get a fairly rickety, tall ship into orbit, slingshot so close to the Mun I probably could have sheared off my engine, ran out of fuel, and performed a Homman transfer using an SRB.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5241 on: September 01, 2013, 09:45:25 am »

<snip>
"MechJeb, let me open the pod bay door!"
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Jeb."

:)

Neat little mission. Send someone with another ship to smack MJ off the doors. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: September 01, 2013, 09:55:45 am »

I actually debated attempting a low-speed collision to break it off.  But in my 2am stupor I just X'd out and lost the mission...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: September 01, 2013, 10:42:03 am »

"MechJeb, let me open the pod bay door!"
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Jeb."
Omg so sigged.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: September 01, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »

I think (math is hard!)
that because of the oberth effect slingshotting with mun is less efficient that burning directly to intercept in low kerbin orbit.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: September 01, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »

I think that it was proven that it was either a waste or a savings of 1 or something sad like that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: September 02, 2013, 12:15:48 pm »

I think that it was proven that it was either a waste or a savings of 1 or something sad like that.
Still, it's worth doing for the Wow! factor.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: September 02, 2013, 02:41:56 pm »

I am so very, very happy right now. I finally got Mun orbit. Pics later. I really should be doing homework instead of rocket science.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: September 02, 2013, 03:40:37 pm »

I recently bought the full version of this game, and while some things became a great success, others I feel aren't working as I think they should.

I'm good with rockets it seems.  Experience with the old alpha versions probably helped there. I got a satellite into orbit on my first attempt (second if you don't count the one I sent up that I forgot to deploy the solar panels on before it was out of juice), and I also 'sorta' got a satellite in Mun orbit ('sorta' as in the game crashed on orbit transition, and wasn't there when I got back, but I had plenty of fuel left).

But I can't seem to make a spaceplane that can actually get into orbit.  If it carries enough fuel to power the rockets for more than a few seconds it's either too heavy to take off, it's center of lift vs center of mass is all wrong and it does backflips off the end of the runway, or both.  What am I doing wrong?

(also how do you make space stations?  Those look awesome.)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: September 02, 2013, 03:50:36 pm »

To get a space station, you basically lift the parts.  For the most part, that means you take a fuel container, and put a docking clamp on the top or bottom.  You then lift it up, detach it, and leave it there.  The next ship that comes up has its own docking clamp, and can dock to siphon fuel off.  Or attach a new segment.

Spaceplanes are an arcane art.  I cannot offer any help to you.
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 848