Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1398531 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5250 on: September 02, 2013, 03:51:39 pm »

I recently bought the full version of this game

Really? I thought it wasn't done.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5251 on: September 02, 2013, 03:51:51 pm »

I have a massive rocket base that can get to Kerbin orbit. Then I just add a part of the spacestation on top, and lots of struts to keep it secure. When I get up there, I just detach it. Then you rinse'n'repeat with different parts. They attach via docking ports, preferably 2 or 3 at a time, so you get nice alignment :)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: September 02, 2013, 03:57:14 pm »

By full version he means non-demo.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: September 02, 2013, 03:59:04 pm »

My favorite is to build a 'starbase' which implies some movement.  Basically a space station that also has enough rockets to move around.  The easiest way to do this, to me, is to put one of those 6-sided-connectors with docking on all sides, a long fuel canister, and then another 6-way-with-docking.  Then do a similar setup, with a rocket on the bottom.  So you can put 4 of them on each side and get some pretty impressive thrust.  You basically build your ship in orbit!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: September 02, 2013, 04:00:10 pm »

Well the version that costs $20 and has other planets, spaceplanes, and doesn't run like a slideshow.  :P

Thanks for the advice, I think I may have to just give up on a spaceplane for now and build a nice little space refueling dock to crash into at high speed the first time I try to use it.  That sounds easier.  I already have a rocket base I use for my satellites.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: September 02, 2013, 04:19:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WEEEEEE

first working "spaceplane". I'm so proud :D
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: September 02, 2013, 04:31:35 pm »

As far as I can see, there are two design philosophies to the 'spaceplane', 1.) Is making and incredibly light/efficient plane with a high thrust/mass ratio and 2.) is just strappin' a regular ole plane on to big rockets, then detaching said rockets in space.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: September 02, 2013, 04:32:41 pm »

As far as I can see, there are two design philosophies to the 'spaceplane', 1.) Is making and incredibly light/efficient plane with a high thrust/mass ratio and 2.) is just strappin' a regular ole plane on to big rockets, then detaching said rockets in space.

Just like in real life.

Mind you in real life #1 is a orbiting spaceship.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: September 02, 2013, 06:23:45 pm »

I don't use space planes per-se but I lots of experience with SSTO's that use jets for atmospheric propulsion so these tips should apply to spaceplanes too.

First off, use MechJeb and (optionally) Engineer. Mechjeb can control your heading and pitch much better than the current stock SAS. Engineer will let you watch your orbital numbers in real time. Mechjeb can also control your throttle much more finely than you can and can prevent flame outs all the way out of atmosphere. Here is what my set up looks like when launching.

For the design, like Urist McScoopbeard said, make it as light and efficient as possible. Especially the space stage, you souldn't need very much engine at all once you're up there. Since you're going to be spending most of your in-atmosphere time at 20km-40km only use turbojets since they're more efficient at that altitude and don't require cooling. One common trick for air intakes is to put cubic octagonal struts on the side of your craft and attach Ram intakes to them or to stack cubic octagonal struts inside each other and attach circular intakes to them. To get a good idea what's possible go though the MachingBird challenge thread on the KSP forums. Some of the designs are just obscene.

When flying you'll want to get up to 10km as quickly as possible then slowly level off until your apoapsis is 20km. Engineer is great for watching your apoapsis while doing this part. From there on you'll want to keep the angle at about 5 degrees. Then it works mostly like bringing a standard rocket to orbit. As you gain speed your apoapsis and periapsis will raise until eventually your periapsis will be just below you and your apoapsis will shoot up. The goal is to use as much of your jet stage's fuel and as little of your space stage's fuel as possible before exiting the atmosphere just below 70km. When you exit the atmosphere completely your periapsis should be around 40km-60km and your apoapsis should be somewhere above 100km. This should make it so your space stage only needs 100dV-200dV to get into a stable orbit.

EDIT: I have shift+space set to start playing Winamp and pressed it while trying to launch. Guess what song it was on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:48:29 pm by Leonon »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:30 pm »

My luck with spaceplanes has improved with your advice.  I didn't get the addons yet, as I didn't want to have to restart the game. But I will before my next session. I got a spaceplane in what I thought was an orbit but as it approached the low point in the orbit it lost speed rapidly.  I guess the low point was still in atmosphere.

Just as well I guess.  I used all the oxidizer getting up there, so if it hadn't come back down on it's own Bob would have become a permanent resident.

After that failure I looked up the atmospheric distance and used a vertical rocket to park a fuel station with tanks and a docking node in a circular orbit of about 71000m.  Soon.  Soon I will have a space plane able to dock with it, then the universe will be my oyster.

I also saved the design for the fuel station launcher, because I am almost certain to crash into the thing at high speed many many times before I get docking down.  It seems like it would be a lot like landing, except everyone involved is traveling at 5000 miles per hour.

EDIT: With the assistance of Mechjeb I got the same plane into a slowly degrading orbit.  Tops out at 300km, bottoms out at 58km so if I understand it right he'll eventually come down to earth as the low end of the orbit enters really thin atmosphere and slows him a bit.  Might take a few orbits though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:38:04 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: September 02, 2013, 10:41:00 pm »

I also saved the design for the fuel station launcher, because I am almost certain to crash into the thing at high speed many many times before I get docking down.  It seems like it would be a lot like landing, except everyone involved is traveling at 5000 miles per hour.
Na, more likely you don't even get anywhere near close enough to hit it. :P

Though the real trick to docking, beyond knowing generally how to do a rough intercept in orbit, is realizing that when you get close and have it targeted, the velocity & trackball switch to being relative to the target vehicle. Thus it's actually fairly easy to zero out relative velocities and come in real slow on linear RCS. Also, be sure you have RCS, or you probably won't be docking any time soon. Believe me, I've done it once or twice, docking without RCS is not something you ever want to try, and takes like an hour and a half to get right, assuming you don't both end up exploded.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5261 on: September 02, 2013, 11:00:02 pm »

I wish extraplanetary launchpads wasn't so horribly ugly. I've tried using kethane models with Ore instead of Kethane in the kethane_extractor (or whatever) module. It doesn't seem to work...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: September 03, 2013, 12:44:49 am »

Why ugly?

I like that it is more difficult than ketane to set up ore drilling, kind of makes sense.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5263 on: September 03, 2013, 01:51:31 am »

Stuff like the big open faces on most of the models, like the ends of the ore and metal bins, for instance- and the textures are generally lower quality and clash with the smoother stock and kethane ones. I think B9 parts actually refuse to attach to them... Not that I've done any better, mind, it's just annoying.

But yeah, I tinkered with the parts so they're essentially the same as before, just with Kethane models instead of the original ones... and they don't work. I don't see why- the functional modules are identical and I've checked several times.

Also, the base parts are absurdly huge. Masswise and pure size-wise... I've tried rescaling them and those don't work either. I can't get a 0.5 meter auger to work even if I just rename the original one and rescale it!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: September 03, 2013, 02:27:28 am »

It makes sense for them to be bulky and heavy

But i agree with other points you made
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 848