Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1409949 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5265 on: September 03, 2013, 01:54:19 pm »

My adventures in failure continue.  I now have 2 spaceplanes horribly stranded in orbit with poor unfortunate kerbals wondering where their air is coming from.

My genius plan to solve this?  A rescue rocket. Three separate cockpits (because 3 seems lighter than the one that holds 3 by itself) one with a pilot and 2 empty for pickup. The plan is to launch the rocket, refuel at the orbital fuel depot, and then intercept the stranded spaceplanes and either give them enough fuel to deorbit themselves, or pick up the kerbal.

Rocket gets into orbit easily and I intercept the fuel depot.  But after a few failed attempts to dock I turn on mechjeb auto docking to try to see what I'm doing wrong.  When that also failed it struck me why it wasn't working.  The rescue rocket and the fuel depot have different size docking ports.

D'OH!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5266 on: September 03, 2013, 02:05:10 pm »

Am I the only one that uses unmanned probes for prototype craft? ;_;

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: September 03, 2013, 02:06:49 pm »

It depends on my craft. And my problem is always the power. Gotta go crunch them numbers!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: September 03, 2013, 02:08:20 pm »

I say unmanned probes are for satellites.  Everything else must have a poor innocent (preferably high stupidity) kerbal soul in the balance.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: September 03, 2013, 02:42:50 pm »

I like to send an unmanned probe ahead of my manned expedition so I can understand what flight path to take. That said, supply drops are going to be delivered by drones.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: September 03, 2013, 02:47:30 pm »

My adventures in failure continue.  I now have 2 spaceplanes horribly stranded in orbit with poor unfortunate kerbals wondering where their air is coming from.
Kerbals can refill their EVA RCS packs for free an infinite number of times by just reentering a command pod.

If you're ever stuck in space you can always just get out and push.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: September 03, 2013, 02:50:46 pm »

Kerbals can refill their EVA RCS packs for free an infinite number of times by just reentering a command pod.

If you're ever stuck in space you can always just get out and push.
This sounds like a fantastic idea. And one that could easily doom you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: September 08, 2013, 03:17:50 pm »

You really shouldn't repeat yourself like that, Immaterial. It's unbecoming!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: September 08, 2013, 07:16:48 pm »

More adventures in failure.

I figure I may get enough fuel to do things in orbit if I found ways to make my flight more efficent.  I see that I have to keep my plane's nose up a good 20 degrees over my actual direction of travel because my plane dosn't have enough lift.  Well that will probably help quite a bit!

So I modify my planes to have more wing surface and add control surfaces to match.  And now instead my planes can't continue to climb after 10000 meters, I just end up having very little control over my angle of attack, even with the joystick all the way back.  I can't pull up or down more than a few degrees, and at higher altitudes the plane eventually just starts nosing down and losing speed no matter what I'm doing

And the nose is still pointing a good 10 degrees above the direction it's actually going...

I ended up making a neat little water landing once though.  The plane disintegrated but the cockpit lived.  So I let bob out to swim around a little bit.  I like to think he was happy for the R&R.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: September 09, 2013, 01:58:18 am »

trying to design an eve return lander.

getting 11k dv to land there is a real challenge  :o

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: September 09, 2013, 02:34:14 am »

@Greiger
Sounds like you need more lift in the back(maybe a tail) and more control surfaces.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:37 am »

trying to design an eve return lander.

getting 11k dv to land there is a real challenge  :o
Did you Asparagus?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: September 10, 2013, 08:18:22 pm »

Two things:
One, SABERs are real. Or atleast close to real. Almost done.
Two, The kerbal AI thing.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: September 10, 2013, 08:25:02 pm »

You're gonna have to explain both of those.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:58 pm »

Allright. In the UK some people are testing prototypes of SABERs.
Yes, I am most likely spelling that wrong.
Well, here is one page talking about it.
   http://www.space.com/22004-skylon-space-plane-rocket-engine.html

The other thing is in this weeks dev thingie.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 848