Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1398916 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5280 on: September 10, 2013, 08:55:10 pm »

Thanks to everyone's advice I got a spacestation in orbit and I actually managed to reach a refueling station in orbit with a spaceplane!  Thanks guys!

However the next mission me playing around with mechjeb's docking autopilot caused a expansion module trying to connect to systematically deconstruct that very station.   Oopsie.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:00:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5281 on: September 10, 2013, 08:57:45 pm »

BUAHA!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:57 pm »

The other thing is in this weeks dev thingie.
This tells us all so very little...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: September 11, 2013, 03:33:54 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzdizR6bJiM

The video that explains the things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVGPjUmYHmI

And the one that was in the newsletter.
Highly Opinionated Fool

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: September 11, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »

HOLY SH*T
HOLY SH*T

At first it looks like a normal autopilot, but then he proceed to launch TWO ROCKETS AT ONCE. That's AWESOME!

Now onto weaponizing that stuff :D

First idea: Smart missiles!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: September 11, 2013, 06:09:48 pm »

Hm, that seems like it would be useful for things like multi payload rockets that can be programmed to all head to a different Jool moon or something like that.   They probably stop working when they leave render distance though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: September 11, 2013, 07:06:15 pm »

As to the smart missiles thing, why the heck is that what i was thinking?
Highly Opinionated Fool

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:40 pm »

Remember how the first time one of your rockets exploded? Remember the raucous laughter that shortly followed?

Remember how you got your first plane off the ground? Remember how you began experimenting with small rockets on your planes? Remember the raucous laughter that shortly followed?

That is why.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: September 11, 2013, 10:05:06 pm »

I have done a little science (some accidental, some not) and learned some things you all probably already know.

1. It is possible to send a spaceplane into a spin so severe that the engines fly off.

After that I had decided to strap some emergency abort chutes to my test plane for emergencies such as unplanned engine separation.  Tests were successful, despite me not actually expecting it to work.  Heck a couple parts slid off from the sudden drag when the chutes fully deployed but nothing broke when it hit the ground!  Success!

2. Enough parachutes can slow down even big stuff to landing speeds.

3. I also learned that if you have a kerbal in EVA and move them near a spent parachute they can repack the parachute.

Really only 1 and 3 are big surprises to me.  I expected 2 to work, but it did surprise me that 4 radial parachutes is enough to safely drop a medium size spaceplane.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: September 11, 2013, 10:33:34 pm »

Keep this in mind for future versions - attaching parachutes to booster rockets that are ejected, will likely save you a lot in the recovery vs replacement costs.

Also keep in mind how rotational forces will break a long craft.  I have on at least one occasion used this to detach a part of my rocket that I thought had a decoupler.

On parachutes: Any body with an atmosphere, it's a lot cheaper to parachute down than to slow descent by burning fuel.  If you can repack the chutes, then you can save a LOT of fuel when landing on, for instance, Eve, which has an atmosphere.  You just slow enough to aerobrake, deploy chutes, and hit the ground, instead of burning the whole velocity off.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: September 11, 2013, 10:34:49 pm »

Wait... do all the moons exist?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: September 11, 2013, 10:39:16 pm »

In the current version (not the free demo) there's a full solar system - as far as we know, there's no plans to add any new celestial bodies.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: September 11, 2013, 10:40:17 pm »

From what I know 'kinda'   Kerbin actually has 2 moons, the Mun and minmus farther out on an inclined orbit, Duna has a moon, but I think only one, and Jool has a bunch, just like Jupiter.  Apparently from what I read one of the Jool moons is downright earthlike.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: September 11, 2013, 10:43:58 pm »

I think one of Jool's satellites actually has its own, smaller moon too?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: September 11, 2013, 11:05:19 pm »

I think one of Jool's satellites actually has its own, smaller moon too?

Ike has the magic boulder and Minmus has Tutanjebhamen or w/e, but those aren't orbital bodies with SOIs and all that.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 848