Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1412139 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you think you'd enjoy it but worry that the game will "never be truly fun because it was never truly finished", just get it. It was hilariously fun from the very first version, and each patch has only made that better. It's not one of those games where you only see potential in the future, and it never gets fully realised. What's already there is amazing.
Like Dwarf Fortress!

And seriously. Does no one have save-editing-or-otherwise-landing-precisely-and-quickly advice?

Nope. Rounding errors with physics loading pretty much kill you, especially when mods monkey with that. Drop back to stock physics/aerodynamics and use hyperedit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Or, like I said, go full debug and land manually. If your craft has more rocket-like qualities than a brick, it should be able to slow down and descend gently enough that DR will not affect you. If all else fails, come to a dead stop, hack gravity, and just fly where you need to be.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

so, this is the first time I am actually trying to reach duna with far and deadly reentry in carer mode.

this is how I intend to land there:

going down, the fins should stabilize descent while heat shields should protect science equipment.

drogue chutes open and the shield detaches, then the radial engines are enabled for powered landing.

at liftoff, the fins are detached, so tail becomes a pointy nose and the science equipment dropped to reveal a fifth engine.

will test a while in kerbin atmosphere then see how it goes. godspeed, Jedidiah.

update:

everything failed. mission to duna was successful.
I also sent a shipment with supplies and everything, so now jeb is back with bob and bill.

it is now year 2, day 152. I have 365 day of supplies, 3.4k dv, and no solution to get back home; the first window is in 500 days or so.

this is the only transfer solution that could make it. only ejection cost is shown; it assume a perfect burn straight into kerbin atmosphere .
and it relies 100% on aerobraking for capturing... which at that speed is next to impossible as orbit passes quite close to the sun, arriving at kerbin at an odd angle (odd angle = more dv between me and kerbin)

so I will have to mount a super fast shuttle to go and intercept the craft, slow it and drop it in the atmosphere at a reasonable speed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:09:12 pm by LoSboccacc »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

If you think you'd enjoy it but worry that the game will "never be truly fun because it was never truly finished", just get it. It was hilariously fun from the very first version, and each patch has only made that better. It's not one of those games where you only see potential in the future, and it never gets fully realised. What's already there is amazing.
Like Dwarf Fortress!

And seriously. Does no one have save-editing-or-otherwise-landing-precisely-and-quickly advice?
Nope. Rounding errors with physics loading pretty much kill you, especially when mods monkey with that. Drop back to stock physics/aerodynamics and use hyperedit.
I've been using Hyperedit.
And somehow, I don't think that the infinite-void-with-weirdly-spinning-altitude is due to conflicts with Deadly Reentry.

I'll probably give up on the stuff I've got and try messing around some with switching spacecraft instead of moving the one. If that fails...I'll just hack it there and land it normally or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been using hyperedit for many versions of stock physics without issue. It sets me down with the utmost gentleness.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been using hyperedit for many versions of stock physics without issue. It sets me down with the utmost gentleness.
It makes me explode the second after I press the button. For no apparent reason.

I had marginally more success this time! See, I was trying to get a big rocket to Eve, so I switched bits of its...thing in the quicksave file with the same bits from the thing on the ground.
Spoiler: What I took (Example) (click to show/hide)
I'd explain what happened to my rocket, but a picture is worth a thousand words.
Spoiler: Explanation (click to show/hide)
Any idea what caused this, or how I could change it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know how you're using hyperedit, but I do this:
kerbal orbit > target SOI orbit > land at target

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been using the Land/Drop button. This causes an instantaneous explosion. Every time, without fail. And I don't see any "land at target" button...
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whatever it's called. I don't have KSP open right now. There's a recommended order of operations from way back.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It doesn't say anything except what the button does. And...huh. Somehow, putting in 200,000 as altitude finally made it not explode! It might take a while to get down, though. Any idea why that worked even though lower pan-atmospheric ones didn't?
Sig

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Watching Kirrim On Duty a millionth time made me ask myself, what would happen if Gilly actually hit Kerbin?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

according to the physics engine?

a poof of smoke

manley already did this one, it'd be hard as fuck to actually move any planetary body (since they're on fixed orbits) but sure i'll run some basic, abstract as fuck math for you

we're taking gilly's mass from the wiki and calculating for the following impact speeds: 800m/s (atmospheric slowdown handwaved as for standard craft) and 3000m/s (interstellar speed necessary for interception, rounded to thousand)

for the first it's 9.93641×10^19 kg m/s/5.2915793×10^22 kg = 0.00187778 m/s

for the second it's 3.726154×10^20 kg m/s/5.2915793×10^22 kg = 0.00704167 m/s

so there, other than the damage slamming a giant fucking asteroid would do to an inhabited planet, nothing should really happen orbit-wise. now to wait for people who'll give enough a fuck to apply variables such as impact angle, etc. etc.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Watching Kirrim On Duty a millionth time made me ask myself, what would happen if Gilly actually hit Kerbin?

It can't. Bodies are on rails.

It doesn't say anything except what the button does. And...huh. Somehow, putting in 200,000 as altitude finally made it not explode! It might take a while to get down, though. Any idea why that worked even though lower pan-atmospheric ones didn't?

In all this time you could have read the entire thread at the ksp forum. Mods do not have the greatest faq's, if at all, but there's always the official forums.

I'm fairly sure it has to do with the differing gravitational forces in each SOI. Changing SOI's instantly is a big deal. A lot happens.
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 848