Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1399055 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Why? A bug is a bug, plenty of simulator allow you to save in midst of anything. Until the rail system kicks in, this game phisics is just the stock unity physix
There is, however, one notable issue.
Quicksaves make the game forget that your parachutes were still open.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

So, who else submitted things for HOCGaming's thing?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What thing?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

His "final mission" series, he invited people to send in a ship, and I sent in the tug thats on the last page.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

So I packed 13km dv in a scansat satellite: objectice, eve!

But it was the wrong time of the year so I couldn't get a intercept unless passing in sun orbit and waiting for the window. So I went to moho.

It wasn't a good intercept and I passed by at 8km/s, far more of what I had left to circularize my orbit.

I collected what scan data I could then, at the other end of the moho soi, I found an almost perfect intercept to eve

Mission accomplished!

Almost. Need to get there and see if I can circularize but eve has one thing moho doesn't to help me: atmosphere so tick asteroids float*

*figuratively. Need to try anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

His "final mission" series, he invited people to send in a ship, and I sent in the tug thats on the last page.
Ah. I have a Eve-copter that if I had heard about this before it was over (and before I learned that it couldn't really take off from Eve, at least not easily), I would have submitted it.
I like how he just stayed silent through much of the Duna-plane-with-too-many-numbers test. Also amusing was how he said it would take more than a minute per craft, but the video was almost exactly one minute for each craft he tested.

...atmosphere so tick asteroids float*
*figuratively. Need to try anyway.
At 20 degrees Celsius and one atm of pressure, air has a density of 1.2 kg/m3. According to the KSP wiki, Eve's atmospheric pressure is 5 atm; assuming a mean surface temperature of 100 degrees Celsius, we should be able to get somewhere.
The Ideal Gas Law states that PV=nRT. Let us assume that the atmospheric composition of Eve and Earth are similar in molar mass, so n is proportional to density. Thus, for Earth, we have (1 atm)(1 m3)=n(8.205e-5 m3*atm*K-1*mol-1)(293 K), with n equaling 41.6 (assuming the math and the constant are correct--the constant was screwed up the first time I did this). Similarly, for Eve, we have (5)(1)=n(8.205e-5)(373), with x being 163.4, very nearly four times the value for Earth. Thus, we can conclude that Eve's atmosphere would be roughly four times denser than Earth's (not quite five kg/m3, or 4.8 milligrams per cubic centimeter). That's not dense enough for much of anything, save lighter gases, to float on top of.

Sorry, Eve's atmosphere cannot float asteroids.
Sig

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*begins hollowing out an asteroid to fill with hydrogen*

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So hum what is this hollowing asteroid mod?

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It doesn't actually exist, sorry. I just posted that to spite GreatWyrmGold and his claim of Eve's atmosphere being unable to float asteroids.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It doesn't actually exist, sorry. I just posted that to spite GreatWyrmGold and his claim of Eve's atmosphere being unable to float asteroids.
I'm not sure that an asteroid, hollowed out, filled with hydrogen, and then plugged up before being dropped into Eve's atmosphere would count as an asteroid any more than a zeppelin counts as being hematite.
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Attach enough balloons to an asteroid and you might be able to float it in Eve atmosphere. Yes, this mod does exist. I think any docking you attempted would rip apart from the weight of the asteroid. Search Hooligan Labs.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

problem statement:

fit a crane for minmus base building which can be put into orbit using far&deadly reentry.

using infernal robotic to pack up the structure, kas to strut pieces together once unfolded

need to fix those stairs, however :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I'm sorry but actually it does.
forsaken mentioned it earlier.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

album from my duna mission using FAR, DR and TAC (plus some more, but not here)

http://imgur.com/a/KfMQA

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

using infernal robotic to pack up the structure, kas to strut pieces together once unfolded

Have you tried quantum struts? There's a KAS version.
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 848