Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413678 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

There's probably a good place on Eve and that jetcar looks pretty small...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Why is everyone talking like building a plane that can fly without wings is an achievement?

I haven't been able to build a plane that can fly with wings ;-; (they always get torn off)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Anything can fly if you give it powerful enough engines. This is true in reality as well.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Anything can fly if you give it powerful enough engines. This is true in reality as well.
Well...not ANYTHING.

Things like black holes can't really "fly" due to the fact if they contact atmosphere they instantly destroy whatever planet they would be "flying" around. Though I guess one method of achieving flight is to remove the ground from the equation... O.o
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

A black hole in the atmosphere certainly wouldn't be instant! It'd be quick, of course, but not instant.

Flying isn't throwing yourself at the ground and missing; that's what orbit is!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

If the black hole were small enough to fit in the atmosphere it would just dissipate I'm reasonably sure.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

black holes are not antimatter.  contacting matter does not cause annihilation, it just feeds them.

If you had a sufficiently advanced spaceship using microscopic black holes as a power source (the smaller and shorter lived they are, the more energy they give off through hawking radiation) you could refuel it (extend its life) by throwing it through the center of a planet and picking it up on the other side.

Most planets would not notice the difference.  The radiation effects as it passed through the atmosphere would be vastly more noticeable than whatever matter it absorbed on its way through the crust / mantle / core / other side.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

But wouldn't it be quite the problem that whatever mass you'd take from the planet, you'd have to carry around afterward? What's the energy density of black holes compared to other fuels?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting question. So interesting I decided to check it out. :P

The wikipedia article for Hawking radiation gives several formulae and examples. One of the examples is semi-useful here. A ~200 ton black hole evaporates in about a second, producing a total of ~1022 J of energy. As with all large energies, for some reason, wikipedia compares with bombs; this is equivalent to 5 million megatons of TNT. Another useful comparison is that 2022 J over 1 second (i.e. Watts.) is about a ten-thousandth of the luminosity of the Sun. The volume for such a black hole, using Schwatzchild radius for volume calculation purposes, is ~10-22 meters, i.e. significantly smaller than a proton. The energy would be released almost exclusively as high-energy gamma-rays, though so you'd probably have a tough time harnessing it. On the other hand, if you're already making tiny black holes then you should have learned to capture and harness high-energy gamma rays by now, I'd say.

So, in conclusion, <<stellar mass black holes have incredible energy densities. They don't scale well upwards, though, an earth-mass black hole has a luminosity on the order of 10-18 W, which is not very exciting at all.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:14:42 am by Silfurdreki »
Entropy is not what it used to be.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

in other news, I made my first successful career flight with interstellar relay powered thermal turbojet!

http://imgur.com/a/Gky3n

because first gen fission reactor are soo underpowered, I had to use two massive relays - four reactors, one generator, massive radiator all over the place

I learned interesting things however:

one antenna front and one back is enough to cover 360 degree of flight, even if efficiency drop at an angle (and thrust with it)

I packed some fuel but the turbojet defaulted to consume my monopropellant first :P

There is massive lag when interstellar recalculate the relay path, might be an artifact of me entering and exiting the 2km physical bubble around relays.

antenna produce heat waste and thus most of the fuselage were inline radiators.

to reach space, need more booster.

edit: it was actually an ATTILA engine, shame on me

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:39:48 pm by LoSboccacc »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's best to put your reactors well away from Kerbal Command so you don't get physics loading during launch and such. I drive mine at least 3-4 km away. You'll have faster load time when first launching a vehicle from VAB/SPH if Command is clear of other vehicles.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

all reactors have broken the wheels upon descending the landing strip XD

will put some in orbit before properly launching real microwave powered craft :P

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More wheels. Bigger wheels. You can also repair wheels with a kerbal. I put a reactor on a blimp and sent it over to the abandoned landing strip. You could also paradrop some around kerbin for funsies.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:10:11 pm by BigD145 »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile

OK children remember this, do not make the kerbal jet pack, just don't it can save your life from a 10,000 meter free fall after being propelled by a rocket, DO NOT MOCK IT!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 848