Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413073 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a wierd bug after the .2 patch.  Loaded up a save and resumed a flight.  Screen went black.  Menus worked.  escaped back to space center.  screen stayed back.  quit to main, closed, re-opend the game.  Space Center worked again, but that flight had vanished from tracking.

I was going to restart anyway, so I did.  Loaded up the latest experimental of scan-sat (which seems to support this version well enough)  and the latest stable remote tech.

Discovered that with the remote tech, probe cores were not on my early research path and I didnt have much motivation to build a satelite network.  So... now I need to install Life Support to motivate myself not to use crewed missions.

First mods since before the big orange tanks were stock parts of the game, trying to take it slow.  Seems like most people that report problems have huge lists of mods that they are using, so I'm keeping it as clean as possible.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

So yeah, tentatively labeling 64 bit as "unplayably buggy." Get in VAB, throw cockpit down...and it crashed. Do anything else and it crashed. Very crashy.
Nope. I played through enough to unlock most of the stock tech tree, crashed a grand total of once. And that wasn't even a disruptive crash (enter VAB, drop a cockpit down, attach probe, crash). So yeah, non-disruptive 1 crash in like 20 hours. Not exactly unplayably buggy. Better than most release titles even.

Though doing so with mods is another story entirely (mod tech trees do not like x64 apparently; though that may also be mission related)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I heve been playing 64bit with alot of mods, its only realitivly crashy.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

So yeah, tentatively labeling 64 bit as "unplayably buggy." Get in VAB, throw cockpit down...and it crashed. Do anything else and it crashed. Very crashy.
Nope. I played through enough to unlock most of the stock tech tree, crashed a grand total of once. And that wasn't even a disruptive crash (enter VAB, drop a cockpit down, attach probe, crash). So yeah, non-disruptive 1 crash in like 20 hours. Not exactly unplayably buggy. Better than most release titles even.

Though doing so with mods is another story entirely (mod tech trees do not like x64 apparently; though that may also be mission related)

That might be it then, because I was trying to Interstellar with it.

In other news, I made an inexplicably horrible plane today. Seriously, I kept getting sideslip ON THE RUNWAY for no discernible reason. And after multiple redesigns, when it finally got in the air it was just godawfully unstable.
And then I accidently deleted everything but the cockpit and accidentally saved it. Fuck.

But yeah, I kept checking everything I could think of, CoM, CoL, CoT all looked good at first, but then I noticed something REALLY weird about my Center of Lift.
Specifically it wasn't pointing straight up. It was pointing slightly forward and somehow that wasn't caused by any of the wings so I have no idea wth was wrong.

EDIT: ok, so fixed the runway slippage after carefully looking at stock designs. The CoL pointing forward thing is apparently normal somehow.

Anyway, now I need to know how the hell you make planes not flip end over end when you switch them from atmospheric engines to "you're going to space today" engines.
Every time I do this the plane goes "Oh HELL NO! You did not just have one millisecond of not thrusting forward while your engine switched! Go back down in a spiral and crash into the water to think about what you did"
I really don't know what to do here, if I wait till I'm fully out of atmosphere where it would presumably take no issue with said switch, I get a flameout and spiral down into the water. If I switch in atmosphere, it does exactly the same thing.

BFEL cancels spaceplane: BFEL has gone berserk!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:28:27 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In other news, I made an inexplicably horrible plane today. Seriously, I kept getting sideslip ON THE RUNWAY for no discernible reason. And after multiple redesigns, when it finally got in the air it was just godawfully unstable.
And then I accidently deleted everything but the cockpit and accidentally saved it. Fuck.

But yeah, I kept checking everything I could think of, CoM, CoL, CoT all looked good at first, but then I noticed something REALLY weird about my Center of Lift.
Specifically it wasn't pointing straight up. It was pointing slightly forward and somehow that wasn't caused by any of the wings so I have no idea wth was wrong.

EDIT: ok, so fixed the runway slippage after carefully looking at stock designs. The CoL pointing forward thing is apparently normal somehow.

Anyway, now I need to know how the hell you make planes not flip end over end when you switch them from atmospheric engines to "you're going to space today" engines.
Every time I do this the plane goes "Oh HELL NO! You did not just have one millisecond of not thrusting forward while your engine switched! Go back down in a spiral and crash into the water to think about what you did"
I really don't know what to do here, if I wait till I'm fully out of atmosphere where it would presumably take no issue with said switch, I get a flameout and spiral down into the water. If I switch in atmosphere, it does exactly the same thing.

It's hard.  Make sure your plane is stable using both the space engines and the normal engines in the atmosphere.  Try switching between both of them and making sure your plane can fly at different atmospheric levels.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It's hard.  Make sure your plane is stable using both the space engines and the normal engines in the atmosphere.  Try switching between both of them and making sure your plane can fly at different atmospheric levels.
You might simply be running into a control problem. Turbojets are pretty good with the thrust vectoring, and if the engine you're switching to doesn't have that  - say an aerospike or an LV-30 - then the little offset in CoT/CoM you undoubtedly have will no longer be tolerable, as your control surfaces are rapidly losing grip on the thinning air.

You might also be drastically altering your drag profile if you have a lot of air intakes that you close - or if you have intakes on the nose of the craft that you forget to close. With a lot of intakes towards the rear the airframe will tend to "shuttlecock" and self-stabilize due to their high drag - so closing those might throw the balancing off.

Finally if you think that the little jolt between switching airbreathers and rockets is what gets you, do what I do and fire rockets first, then turn off airbreathers. The extra speed boost from the rockets will allow the airbreathers to function for a smidge longer, and you won't have such a drastic shift of acceleration.

Or just tech up and use RAPIERs. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile

My first experience with mods:
A +kerbal engineer redux+ strikes the player in the GameData folder, adding and replacing files through the folder structure!
The player is blown backwards by the force of the blow!
The player's cursor skids along the mod list, downloading some of them!
The player installs more mods.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Well I guess part of the problem there is I'm using Interstellar and attempting a thermal turbojet. This is in sandbox mode, so it has the functionality to switch from airbreathing to closed circuit but it must be done manually, unlike RAPIERS.

It DOES have the advantage that unlike stock airbreathers it can use "atmosphere" which means it requires no liquid fuel whatsoever in atmospheric mode (because its getting its "fuel" from pure thermal power of a fission reactor) however its thrust to mass is barely enough to keep the thing flying/climbing which exacerbates the getting to space issue.

As for the intakes/atmosphere scoops I'm not actually closing them at all (the scoops I don't think even HAVE a "close" function, its weird) and the only thing using intakeair is the precooler, which in Interstellar is pretty much mandatory for any plane flying above 10000 meters or so.

How exactly does one make their control surfaces er....stop controlling? Basically is there some way to keep them from TRYING to "grip the thinning air"?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

basically, the less air there is, the less air drag there is, and there are two good ways to increase drag: get more air or go faster

therefore you gotta turn into a hedgehog

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How exactly does one make their control surfaces er....stop controlling? Basically is there some way to keep them from TRYING to "grip the thinning air"?
Heh, you don't. Basically, them trying to grab onto something and steer is what keeps you on course. Otherwise they are either plain lifting surfaces that create lift and drag, or plain decorations depending on how far out of the atmosphere you are.

Can you post a picture of what you're trying to fly? And does the thermal thruster have vectoring (i.e. gimbal range), and is its airbreathing-mode thrust lower than its rocket-mode's?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want to increase the thrust/weight of thermal jets you can add more intakes or switch to microwave beamed power. When I tested it in KSP 0.23.5 with 64 ram air intakes and 14.853GW of beamed power I could get 4555.3kN out of one 1.25m thermal turbojet engine while stuck to the ground with launch stabilizers.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Heh, you don't. Basically, them trying to grab onto something and steer is what keeps you on course. Otherwise they are either plain lifting surfaces that create lift and drag, or plain decorations depending on how far out of the atmosphere you are.

Can you post a picture of what you're trying to fly? And does the thermal thruster have vectoring (i.e. gimbal range), and is its airbreathing-mode thrust lower than its rocket-mode's?
I think you can set an action group for 'stop controlling surfaces'.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can turn off the surfaces, but it won't stop them affecting your plane. Turning them off will not accomplish anything except worsen your control.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

You can turn off the surfaces, but it won't stop them affecting your plane. Turning them off will not accomplish anything except worsen your control.
Maybe he's just frustrated seeing his wings flapping when he's flying over Mun.

If you want to completely disable them and prevent their affecting your craft, separate them.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Whoa if you click the flag of the company your looking at a contract for it will bring up a little description of the company.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 848