Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443916 times)

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1095 on: December 20, 2011, 12:43:49 am »

I had a lot of fun building a long distance plane for trips around the world and since I suck at getting to the moon Ill give this a go. Im guessing it will be hard to get the right fuel/thrust ratio to make it all the way around with stock parts but failing horribly is the real appeal of this game for me.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1096 on: December 20, 2011, 12:49:50 am »

I think it'll be nigh impossible to make it around with stock parts. People were seeming to possibly manage with modded in parts. But one of the big problems was fatigue. Manually piloting something like that for the hours and hours and hours it'd take for a circumnavigation isn't exactly easy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 20, 2011, 12:52:06 am »

The game in short?

Take a Dwarf.  Now make him green, with a big head.  Alright?  His name is Jebediah.  He has a desire, a drive to a goal.  He will get into space.  He will!  Unfortunately he has no idea how to build a rocket, but that's ok.  He found a solid rocket booster on the side of the road, and there's some surplus metal supports over in the junkyard.  With nothing more than a nose-cone, a few tones of jet fuel, and a smile that demands the demented suicide of all who witness his joyous grin, this little disguised dwarf is going to the stars.  Very likely, doing so with no fuel for return, no rockets to use his fuel stock on, or most likely in pieces.

The physics are real, the rockets are not.  Tower up your rocket, set the activation stages, and watch it all go terribly terribly wrong.

ALSO: You can orbit in upper atmosphere.  20km is extremely close, I think the atmosphere goes up to like 80km or so, right?

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 20, 2011, 12:54:33 am »

I was able to find a sweet spot in regards to thrust/angle that kept me level at a couple of hundred metres off the ground. Obviously I wasnt going very fast but I think that for fuel conservation max power is probably not the right way to go. The hardest thing seems to be getting enough fuel to make it around without ruining the flying ability/speed of the craft.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 20, 2011, 06:52:06 am »

Which of course mean you need a huge, kick-ass aircraft. Let's start by seeing who can go the furthest without going above 10 km. Winner will win something.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I started playing this game.

21 space ships later I escape earth orbit and head for the moon.

Spoiler: Captain Bills Diary (click to show/hide)

So.

Turns out the moon is hard to hit.

At the most I was 13 billion meters from the earth. With 165 billion meters total traveled.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:43:18 am by Criptfeind »

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

There's a really easy visual cue that will get you to the mun's SOI every time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile

I got a spaceship to orbit the sun!

There it is right after its Periapsis. The blue ball is kerbin.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

This method is pretty good, but it doesn't really give you an appreciation for how you and the moon meet it orbit, typically entering it's realm doing about 3000m/s.  I managed to control my slingshot enough to get back into Kerbin orbit, but it's going to take me more tries and more fuel to hit a stable orbit.  God only knows what landing on it would be like.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

This method is pretty good, but it doesn't really give you an appreciation for how you and the moon meet it orbit, typically entering it's realm doing about 3000m/s.  I managed to control my slingshot enough to get back into Kerbin orbit, but it's going to take me more tries and more fuel to hit a stable orbit.  God only knows what landing on it would be like.
... Dunno how you're doing it, but I'm usually at around 350 m/s relative speed upon entering the mun SOI.
(just tested it out and I was at ~600 m/s at my munar periapsis of ~230 km)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:07:06 pm by Peewee »

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So has anyone here actually made it to the Mun, landed intact and then made it off the Mun and back to Kerbin intact? The very best I've managed is getting to the Mun, landing, blasting off from the Mun with only RCS fuel left, missing Kerbin completely and ending up orbiting the sun. It seems that the majority of people's failed missions that don't end in explosions end in orbit around Kerbol.

Oh and for reference... because tiny things like these bother me...

The little green guys = Kerbals
Their surnames = Kerman
The planet they live on = Kerbin
The sun that planet orbits = Kerbol
The moon = The Mun

Thank you, this has been a public service announcement.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

So has anyone here actually made it to the Mun, landed intact and then made it off the Mun and back to Kerbin intact?
Yep. Want to see the rocket I did it in?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

So has anyone here actually made it to the Mun, landed intact and then made it off the Mun and back to Kerbin intact?
Yep. Want to see the rocket I did it in?

me too! (even on standard parts)
I've recorded some failures and navigation instructions there http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=3961.msg44263#msg44263 (it's using nova silisko mod due to landing legs and being nicer in screenshots)

it's pretty easy once you have a craft that is consistently flying so you can predict its trajectory.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

Bah, mods. I do everything with stock parts. I just did it again for fun and picture taking.

http://imageshack.us/g/252/ship1z.png/
(album)

1&2: On the pad, ready for liftoff. Perhaps not the most realistic ship...
Note that the bottom control fins are blocked by the extra LFTs, but I'm not complaining.
The side attached LFTs are ejected as soon as each set runs out of fuel, as well as the obvious SRBs.
It's not until the second set of LFTs is ejected that the center, vector-thrusting engine ignites.
This ensures stability after the top and bottom fins are ejected, about halfway through the top set of fuel tanks.
3: The lander has enough fuel in the landing gear to make the TMI then land, with four quarter-tanks left.
4: Safely home. It only took ~3/4 of the first fuel tank to get off the mun and then lower the periapsis down to 40 km.
I dumped the fuel tanks and waited through the long aerobraking.
5: I was late in hitting the stage button, so I ended up throwing the landing gear around the mun a bit, hence the explosions.
Note the low g-max, which probably occurred when the chute opened.

Not pictured is the complete munar orbit at 740m +-2m
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 04:00:13 am by Peewee »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The moon = The Mun

Actually it's the Mün, but most people can't be bothered to type that properly.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 848