Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413577 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3105 on: December 15, 2012, 04:10:00 pm »

Damn you skyrunner!
Now my space station looks like crap!
must... add... wings...
Wings are pretty. It's a proven fact and oh no don't go adding logic to that equation ahhhhhh
Personally the wings make it look cluttered to me.

I like Solar panels better in terms of aesthetics. So what if we need only need 2-3 gigantours to power the station? LET'S ADD TWENTY!

The biggest issue with panels is that they block each other when built along a spine. Spread them out. Circle the planet with a solar belt.

I'd genuinely give 20$ to anyone who bothered building a sphere of connected solar panels surrounding Kerbin. I mean, it'd be the biggest waste of time in the century but god damn would it be amazing.

$20 for a year of work? Seriously, it'd take that long at the very least.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3106 on: December 15, 2012, 04:13:39 pm »

Damn you skyrunner!
Now my space station looks like crap!
must... add... wings...
Wings are pretty. It's a proven fact and oh no don't go adding logic to that equation ahhhhhh
Personally the wings make it look cluttered to me.

I like Solar panels better in terms of aesthetics. So what if we need only need 2-3 gigantours to power the station? LET'S ADD TWENTY!

The biggest issue with panels is that they block each other when built along a spine. Spread them out. Circle the planet with a solar belt.

I'd genuinely give 20$ to anyone who bothered building a sphere of connected solar panels surrounding Kerbin. I mean, it'd be the biggest waste of time in the century but god damn would it be amazing.

$20 for a year of work? Seriously, it'd take that long at the very least.
I'd give you $20 to even prove that it can be done. An eighth of a sphere (one quadrant) or a simple ring would  be good enough for me. XD

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: December 15, 2012, 04:24:03 pm »

I believe there's already somebody working on building a connected orbital ring.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: December 15, 2012, 04:37:01 pm »

I can just imagine the lag from the sheer number of parts involved to surround Kerbin with solar panels. There may even be a distance cutoff threshold for physics.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: December 15, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »

There is, in fact, a distance cutoff threshold for physics, or at least there certainly was recently. It may have been removed/made editable at some point, though. Not sure.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: December 15, 2012, 04:51:12 pm »

If debris still can't lose speed in atmosphere, then there should be one. We therefore only need to find out how the docking clamps perform at that range, assuming lag is not a factor (futuristic computer from outer space).
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3111 on: December 15, 2012, 06:39:13 pm »

The distance of the sphere in which you can operate I think is around 2500m. It's impossible to build a ring around any planet or moon. That I know for sure.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3112 on: December 15, 2012, 07:07:11 pm »

I just spent quite a few hours trying to dock stuff... no luck so far :(

I can now fairly easily use orbits to get close. I can get within a couple dozen meters. Then... no way. I think the problem is that the port I am trying to dock is at 90 to the cockpit, so all the controls are muffled up. It's this way because I wanted to bring two pieces to orbit with one ship, but next time I try this it's going to be one ship-one part. Eesh.

And yeah, using control from here and selecting the other ship's docking port. I don't think I've got the hang of using the navball to navigate that, especially as the retrograde display keeps jumping everywhere.

Aligning is also a bug pain. I think N/S is the only thing that really works?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: December 15, 2012, 07:38:54 pm »

While I'm nowhere nearly as advanced as you guys are (your spacestations are pretty;) I've just recently managed to get satellites orbiting Kerbin, the Mun and Minimus; of which I am far more proud then I probably have any right to be.

Minimus was a hoot, because I missed the first time, so I let the clock accelerate for 120 days until the satellites orbit and Minimus happened to converge again.

My goal is to eventually get a satellite in orbit around all the planets and moons, but I think I'll have to start building bigger rockets - I don't think that the small tank of fuel with a single nuke engine and 40 pounds of RCS fuel that my current design can get into orbit will get me far enough.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3114 on: December 15, 2012, 08:47:54 pm »

To be honest, my ultimate goal is to get a space station around Jool. Mainly because of how pretty I find it to be.

However, I can't even land on  the damned Mun, so I doubt I will even reach Jool, let alone Eve or Duna.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: December 15, 2012, 09:06:56 pm »

sing-rocket' interplanetary craft

I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a firey doom as singing.

I couldn't resist. Kill me.

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: December 16, 2012, 12:27:22 am »

I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a firey doom as singing.

Why wouldn't I consider that singing? It sure is musical.

Also, consider yourself sigged!
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3117 on: December 16, 2012, 12:46:40 am »

Welp, this Meun mission is a bust, and now I have a probe orbiting the sun hoping to get lucky so it can orbit Duna.

I am either greatest rocket pilot ever or need to be taken out back and shot.

All I know is NASA will never hire me.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: December 16, 2012, 12:54:21 am »

I just dropped off the command center for what will be my Mun base. I sent the command center and a sky crane separately into orbit around the Mun, rendezvoused the two then landed it next to the Mun base landing beacon. My skycrane is manned, so the plan is that I can send it back into orbit after dropping off it's payload. This way I can send a bunch of base modules into orbit around the Mun, and then retrieve each with the same crane as long as each module brings enough fuel to refill the crane.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the process of completing this endeavor I did get a smaller manned skycrane that I had used to land the beacon, stranded in orbit around the Mun. I'm using it's rcs thrusters to rendezvous with the discarded interplanetary stages that came with my command module and second skycrane and siphoning off the remaining fuel so that it can be ready to land a new base module.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: December 16, 2012, 01:02:30 am »

Why wouldn't I consider that singing? It sure is musical.

Also, consider yourself sigged!

O:
...You sigged me.

My life is fulfilled!
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 848