Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413026 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

You'd just have to plan long range journeys so all players want to warp at the same time. I assume this would be like Paradox games, except that the difference in warp speed is exponential in KSP.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Or maybe you can warp independently, but you can't warp within a certain distance from another ship.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Its stupid. Theres a reason why orbiter has no mp
Fuck multiplayer anyways. Space games in the vein of orbiter and KSP just dosent go well with multiplayer.
Whaaaaaat!?

Two carriers battling in low Kerbal orbit sounds pretty good to me. Avoiding enemy fire is probably very easy, except that you can only control one craft at a time.

Damn, I want this :/ Stupid April Fools Day.

Go play EVE.

It has stupid warp gates and no physics.

KSP just wouldnt work as a multiplayer game.
Its a design problem and a technical limit.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

You know you can already have carrier battles in KSP right? It's just the multiplayer thing that is not possible yet, and I see no reason why KSP could not eventually have multiplayer.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Damnit, I want KSP multi so badly...
The physics system and the realism would make it a wonderful space combat game. Amongst other things... But let's be honest, out of ten KSP servers, if there isnt at least half of them being massive battles, something isn't working properly.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

someone already has carrier battles. with no mods used. I am not lying.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

someone already has carrier battles. with no mods used. I am not lying.
I know, there is the links a couple pages ago. This is AWESOME.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

The only multiplayer I want to see in KSP is one like this.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:25:43 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait how could you even have multiplayer in Kerbal Space Program?

I mean I know EA could find a way, but normal people?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

For one, the same way people have multiplayer in Dwarf Fortress. Kind of a "hotseat" game.

Second, well... with a little creativity, one could make the game dynamically save and reload a single savefile between several instances. So the underlying persistence file keeps changing, new vessels appear and move, but you don't actually see any of it happen realtime, only as fast as the game updates. A little like a very advanced PBEM game.

With the latter, you could have artillery exchanges. Two massive ships with arrays upon arrays of rockets poised to shoot at each other. As each ship fires, the game updates, the missiles in transit hopping on rails and going on static orbits. This way, the ships exchange fire without being within physics range of one another.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean I know EA could find a way, but normal people?

WUT

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only multiplayer I want to see in KSP is one like this:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37085-Can-a-team-of-KSP-fans-put-an-inexperienced-pilot-on-Mun-Mission-Control-simulation?highlight=Mission+control

I support this.

The idea of having multiplayer where 1 player is ground crew and 1 is pilot would be fun. Ground crew can have access to a bunch of the map information and mission planning stuff while the player is stuck in the cockpit.

Beyond that...

Seriously, getting a many part ship next to a many part station slows computers to 1fps anyways. Why on earth would we want that complicated by a network and another ship actually *moving*. Turning it into a space combat game wouldn't be that fun either, it doesn't play like a space fighter game. Most of the battles would be worse than docking attempts where you get close only to miss it and end up really far away.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The biggest issue I think is that Kerbal Space Program isn't a game about running a space station. It is a game about building the best space ship for fun (This game falls under game by having what I call an "implied goal")

Ok.. fine here is an idea

It is a versus mode and each player gets a section of a rocket that are not allowed to change (So it could be large and clunky) and the first one to get it to fly to the target wins.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only multiplayer I want to see in KSP is one like this:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37085-Can-a-team-of-KSP-fans-put-an-inexperienced-pilot-on-Mun-Mission-Control-simulation?highlight=Mission+control

I support this.

The idea of having multiplayer where 1 player is ground crew and 1 is pilot would be fun. Ground crew can have access to a bunch of the map information and mission planning stuff while the player is stuck in the cockpit.

Beyond that...

Seriously, getting a many part ship next to a many part station slows computers to 1fps anyways. Why on earth would we want that complicated by a network and another ship actually *moving*. Turning it into a space combat game wouldn't be that fun either, it doesn't play like a space fighter game. Most of the battles would be worse than docking attempts where you get close only to miss it and end up really far away.

I’m afraid that it doesn’t play as a space fighter game because that would be only secondary to the goal of being a... well, space program simulator. Also, we haven’t even hit 0.2 yet, have we? I’m pretty sure that until the full version is released (I give them two years, personally) everything will be nicely optimized and we might even get multiplayer in the form of, for example, a good part of the physics calculations being offloaded to the host server. And we don’t really know what the technology of two years from now can bring to us in terms of hardware, either.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You sure this game is even about a Space program? I thought that was just part of the name and really.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 848