Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448049 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I wonder if it will let us build more things... like railways so we can set up new launch pads and ships to collect things that splashdown...
What I want is the ability to launch rail launched rockets.  Kind of like the V1/V2/VWhatever rockets the Germans had. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I wonder if it will let us build more things... like railways so we can set up new launch pads and ships to collect things that splashdown...
What I want is the ability to launch rail launched rockets.  Kind of like the V1/V2/VWhatever rockets the Germans had.

The Germans had a lot of rockets, but none of them really ran on railroads. The V1 required a fixed base for it's ramp and booster and such (basically, the V1 runs on that notorious pulsejets and pulsejets tend to not work so amazingly at low speeds), while the V2 could be fired pretty much anywhere you could stand it up vertically.

That said, if you want a mobile launch pad, weeel what do you think the HUMONGOUS WHEELS are for? :P

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Germans had a lot of rockets, but none of them really ran on railroads. The V1 required a fixed base for it's ramp and booster and such (basically, the V1 runs on that notorious pulsejets and pulsejets tend to not work so amazingly at low speeds), while the V2 could be fired pretty much anywhere you could stand it up vertically.

That said, if you want a mobile launch pad, weeel what do you think the HUMONGOUS WHEELS are for? :P
What I meant was that I could launch it off a rail, but now that I think about it I can probally use the spaceplane hanger to do so.  Strap some wheels to a solid fuel booster... strap some more boosters.....

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

The A4 (thats the V2's name) was built to be carried by rail.
as for the massive wheels... they like bending...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

The A4 (thats the V2's name) was built to be carried by rail.
as for the massive wheels... they like bending...
You can strut them, believe it or not. While you can't place a strut startpoint on them, you can place an endpoint.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, I might have promised B9 stuff. I have a project I'm working on, but first, have some experiments:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Immelmans are fun.
And a teaser: Multi-track drifting!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I did some testing with building a hideusly inefficient aircraft, and strapping it to a bunch of solid fuel rockets with wheels.
Can you spot the problem?

"Join the space program, they said.  Fly state of the art planes, they said."

I actually managed to get it into the air, eventually.  Unfortunately only one side had wings, so I didn't get far.  My biggest problem was boosters falling off, and not being able to control my direction.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

So, I did some testing with building a hideusly inefficient aircraft, and strapping it to a bunch of solid fuel rockets with wheels.

I actually managed to get it into the air, eventually.  Unfortunately only one side had wings, so I didn't get far.  My biggest problem was boosters falling off, and not being able to control my direction.

Hehehe, that is definitely not the right kind of wheels. :P

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Other wheels didn't give me enough ground clearence.  I could probally get ground clearence with some other wheels, but for that missile I was just doing concept testing.  I'm also sure I didn't place ANYTHING else properly. 

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also appears that those solid boosters are going to send it heading backwards at a fairly solid clip.
Signature goes here.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

I suddenly feel the urge to make a modular missile pack SAM launcher, along with a railgun tank using the new rover parts.

What would you make a railgun with? I am curious.
Any mods for that?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Do multiple electric xenon gas powered engines provide significant boosts in acceleration in the vacuum of space, compared to like, the same aircraft with half that hypothetical ammount?

I'm currently trying to get this absurd ship equipped with 1218 of them into space but I'm wondering if it'll give it'll even make such a different compared to the same ship with only 6 engines.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Ion engines can't get to space. They can barely fight air resistance.

Ion is much more effective as a deep-space drive, where it has a fantastic ISP. Having multiple ion engines requires multiple times a many power sources, which will drastically increase mass (it's about one huge solar panel per drive, I think, plus any reserve batteries you think you'll need).

That said, you do have to make sure that the duration of your burn is less than the duration of the flight, which is a possible problem with ions.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

I didn't mean using ion to get to space, but how their performance would be IN space. I'll use regular engines to get it there first :P

Currently, in direct sunlight with all panels extended and its batteries it can burn for half a minute, I'm going to add more batteries and panels but its mass is already pretty impressive.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

The stock Ion engines are very... very... slow. You'll spend a fair amount of time doing anything useful with them.

There are mods which give you more powerful versions, though, and I find those a little better balanced. They're still not enough to get you off of Kerbin, but they'll still allow you to change orbits in a decent amount of time.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 848