Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 849

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 975391 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you tried the Kerbal Avionics mod? It works decently for uneven engine setups. It's still in development though.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29387-0-21-x-KerbCom-Avionics-0-3-0-1-Alpha-%286-August%29-gimbal-support-bugfixes

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Not yet, but I probably will have to for the interplanetary section. Once I've docked everything to it, it'll likely be even less symmetrical, and I won't have the center of mass/thrust displays to help me out -- and of course, no wings to keep it going straight.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did some more work on my cheap orbiter for Mission Controller and made this.

Engineer lies about the dV for the jet stage, it can actually do closer to 4000. The jet stage recovers 20000 for splashdown or 27000 for touchdown. The stack design is actually slightly more dV efficient than asparagus staging. I used this to complete Kerbolo II (escape from the Sun's gravity carrying 3 long antenna and all 4 sensors) with 3241dV to spare. For smaller lifts I take off fuel until I'm satisfied with its abilities.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Practicing slingshots (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Decent slingshot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Just passing by, Mun. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Minmus Orbit achieved (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Minmus claimed (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Much better! (click to show/hide)

The MinBus is... wierd. It randomly explodes/superbounces on loading and the game continuously thinks it's about to crash into Minmus. It should be decently drivable on Minmus at relatively high speeds with the wide base, though.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I need a  bit of advice on changing my orbital inclination. I can't really figure out how to do it manually without fucking up my orbit completely.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

In any orbit, even very skewed ones, there's two points in which you pass the equator line. When you get there, burn straight north or south. That fixes it pretty fast :)

I've also only been to the Mun yet... I need to learn slingshotting as well!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

burning straight north or south will fix lightly skewed inclinations, but say if you wanted to go from a 90 degree inclination to 0, that wouldn't help at all. You need to burn perpendicular (across, at 90 degrees) to your orbital path. As you burn, your path will change, so you'll need to change your heading as well. It's not easy to do perfectly without autopilot, but it's not complicated either as long as you've got the fuel to clean up a little bit of sloppy piloting(it's a very wasteful maneuver usually, better to launch at the right inclination) After you're done, you can clean up your orbit with prograde/retrograde burns.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For more extreme orbit changes you can raise your apoapsis until you'll move very slowly at that point, wait until you get there, and burn retrograde until you come to a near stop. After that you can burn into any orbit you want.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

For more extreme orbit changes you can raise your apoapsis until you'll move very slowly at that point, wait until you get there, and burn retrograde until you come to a near stop. After that you can burn into any orbit you want.
But it has its limits. A full orbit reversal for a circular orbit will only be 58.6% ((2 - √2)*100%) more efficient at most compared to doing it at the original orbital radius. You'll of course hit SOI before that but 50% will occur at an orbital "work" radius which is eight times the original orbial radius (when both are calculated from the center of the orbital body).

Although for any given inclination change, the delta-v required will be the same as doing a full orbit reversal by the same method. However, the efficiency will most likely be different (decreasing I'd conjecture).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:14:28 pm by da_nang »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • Try not to give up!
    • View Profile

I can't believe this works. But it does. Takes off damn near instantly, though landing it is more challenging.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile

I don't.. What? How? That should never be able to fly. Like, ever. That's too cute to fly.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Jebediah looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • Try not to give up!
    • View Profile

I can has sig?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

I can has sig?
Go ahead. :P

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Sounds like Jeb found out about where Kethane comes from.
Space 'Murrica! United States of Space! (Stellaris Democratic Succession)

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 849