Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443846 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5415 on: September 20, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »

I can FINALLY buy the game.
Any essential mods to get?
Kethane.
Note that the forums are down right now, and the Kethane mod has no official mirror.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5416 on: September 20, 2013, 12:06:13 pm »

if you need ten stages you clearly are not using enough boosters

i can get you to any planet in two stages given enough math and a good enough launch window, and maybe a cpu blessed by armok if you need me to fly into the sun with the double-cannon method (a little above a thousand srbs needed, plus struts and decouplers)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: September 20, 2013, 12:07:19 pm »

Well, for aspargus you've generally got quite a few stages.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: September 20, 2013, 12:17:17 pm »

if you need ten stages you clearly are not using enough boosters

i can get you to any planet in two stages given enough math and a good enough launch window, and maybe a cpu blessed by armok if you need me to fly into the sun with the double-cannon method (a little above a thousand srbs needed, plus struts and decouplers)
I typically fly three to four-stage rockets, for the really long hauls. Two- or three-stage if I refuel in orbit.

I tend to frown at launch windows. In a term I dubbed "linux launching", I just do a reverse bi-elliptic transfer from a lower Sol periapsis to get where I need to go. Horribly inefficient, but eh. Saves time waiting. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: September 20, 2013, 12:56:48 pm »

I tend to use 2 stage rockets with a liquid booster stage (or some times solids, depending on what the payload is), only resorting to bigger launch craft (such as asparagoids and 3+ stage ones) for really heavy craft (like my Joollama from my previous save).

Oh, this reminds me. I need to put a fuel depot in orbit after I'm done with the mun landing. Any orbits I should be aware of?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: September 20, 2013, 12:59:19 pm »

If you can manage a particularly eccentric orbit, you could dock at lower orbit, and let it carry your craft to a higher orbit to toss it off.  That takes quite a bit of fooling about to make it work, though...  Otherwise a standard orbit, nothing fancy.  I just dump everything at 100km.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: September 20, 2013, 01:02:16 pm »

Okay, I shall use my standard parking orbit at 200km. This should also provide me with an opportunity to train my docking skills.  :P

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: September 20, 2013, 01:34:43 pm »

They said I was crazy, they said it couldn't be done...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finally made it to the Mun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: September 20, 2013, 02:02:11 pm »

Sir, you are beating me. Please stop. I wish to do something without others beating me to it.

Has anyone built a station encircling a world yet?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: September 20, 2013, 02:06:47 pm »

Sir, you are beating me. Please stop. I wish to do something without others beating me to it.

Has anyone built a station encircling a world yet?
Like a planetary ring?  Unfortunately it's beyond the scope of the physics engine.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: September 20, 2013, 02:12:53 pm »

Bah. Even around a flying monolith?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: September 20, 2013, 02:13:37 pm »

Space elevator?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5427 on: September 20, 2013, 02:25:58 pm »

Bah. Even around a flying monolith?
By default things beyond a few kilometers stop being handled by the physics engine
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:23:15 pm by forsaken1111 »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: September 20, 2013, 06:01:56 pm »

Could someone send me a copy of the Kethane .zip? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #5429 on: September 20, 2013, 08:22:13 pm »

Is there an ETA on the .22 patch? I don't want to get too into this again and then restart, but all this talk has gotten me itching to try it again :)
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 848