Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448637 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Congrats, I still have yet to successfully land anywhere but kerbin, however ice gotten ok at changing orbits, I still get confused when I need to burn normal or anti normal, whatever that means =/
iirc normal = north, antinormal is south. Basically.
Normal is the top triangle marker, antinormal is the bottom triangle marker.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Congrats, I still have yet to successfully land anywhere but kerbin, however ice gotten ok at changing orbits, I still get confused when I need to burn normal or anti normal, whatever that means =/
iirc normal = north, antinormal is south. Basically.

Except when you are tourning counterclockwise. Or clockwise. Right hand rule!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Normal is the top of the navball and antinormal is the bottom.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I didn't land, I just did some science and an EVA within the range of the Mun. Landing is my next goal, but I have no idea how to do so, other than a bunch of small engines and a retrograde burn.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

You also need landing legs.

It's important to get low on your approach and try to burn retrograde to stop horizontal movement at perimun. That way, you fall less and use less fuel on the way down.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Normal is the top of the navball and antinormal is the bottom.

Nope. Bottom (center orlf the red part) is usually radial. Top (center of the blue part) is antiradial.

Can move from the dead center for eccentrical orbits

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's important to get low on your approach and try to burn retrograde to stop horizontal movement at perimun. That way, you fall less and use less fuel on the way down.

What does this mean?  I've been having a hard time with Mun landings -- I can get down there but never have enough fuel to get back.

Here are some of the orbital options I can think of, can someone explain which ones are best to start with for a landing and why?:

- low circular:  you are close to the surface, but need to burn off a LOT of horizontal velocity.  The lower you are, the more fuel you have to burn to zero out your horizontal velocity.

- high circular:  not as much horizontal velocity to cancel, but you'll need to burn more to counter gravity as you come down harder

- elliptical, descending from apoapsis: as 'high circular' but with almost no horizontal velocity to counter and a huge ton of acceleration due to gravity

- elliptical, descending from periapsis: just like low-circular but far worse in terms of horizontal velocity.  This is probably never a good idea unless you're aerobraking or something.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Just try to put your periapsis over where you want to land and move it as near to the surface as possible (beware of mountains though). It doesn't matter where your apoapsis is.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

I prefer low circular, once you cancel horizontal velocity you're set.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I just finished my first successful Mun flyby in career mode! I know that's kid stuff to you all, but still, I was excited. ^_^

On the contrary, it's always fun to welcome someone else to SPAAAAAAAAAACE.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile

I just finished my first successful Mun flyby in career mode! I know that's kid stuff to you all, but still, I was excited. ^_^

On the contrary, it's always fun to welcome someone else to SPAAAAAAAAAACE.
*Ahem*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

So, I have a question with something that's been plaguing me.

I built a large 5-stage rocket mostly held together by duct tape struts. In build mode, everything sets up nicely.

Then, when I get it to the launchpad, the struts disappear and the whole damned thing falls apart. What's the deal with disappearing struts?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Struts disappear when things break apart.

Note that this includes staging, just in case you didn't know that you could build struts cross-stage without needing to blow anything up :P

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

We'd need to see a screenshot.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

We'd need to see a screenshot.
Here ya go!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Struts disappear when things break apart.

Note that this includes staging, just in case you didn't know that you could build struts cross-stage without needing to blow anything up :P
I actually did know that, but nothing seems to be breaking apart. The rocket hits the launchpad, and then there are cans rolling about everywhere.

Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 848