Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448088 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8115 on: February 05, 2014, 02:56:46 pm »

Yes, but are they tweaked to work properly together?

deadly re-entry tweaked, tested with ksp, everything seems in order.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66020-B9-0-23-fixes

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:54:25 pm by bertix »
Set phasers to tsun.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8117 on: February 05, 2014, 03:59:31 pm »

Finally got a nearly working SSTO spaceplane with the Interstellar Quest mods.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's got quite a massive payload space (big enough for an orange tank, plus some); though it still needs a few tweaks that could get it fully orbital. 10 rapiers and 6 subsonic engines on the main wing, as well as VTOL engines on the back to improve its ability to pitch up or down as needed.

Is there a mod pack for the Interstellar quest mods?
Seems like a lot of work to get them all :(

I have some free time lemme make it for you all.

http://www.multiupload.nl/O20H5XKAO4 beep boop modpacks :D

THANKS!  :o

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: February 05, 2014, 05:18:12 pm »

It's got quite a massive payload space (big enough for an orange tank, plus some); though it still needs a few tweaks that could get it fully orbital. 10 rapiers and 6 subsonic engines on the main wing, as well as VTOL engines on the back to improve its ability to pitch up or down as needed.

Recommend a clean install though, also Id like to add I do not claim to possess any part of this mod-pack, credits go to the original authors, take this as a mere linking to direct downloads of them all grouped up for convenience, cheers.
Set phasers to tsun.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: February 06, 2014, 08:52:04 am »

Recommend a clean install though, also Id like to add I do not claim to possess any part of this mod-pack, credits go to the original authors, take this as a mere linking to direct downloads of them all grouped up for convenience, cheers.

Of course, i always do a clean install when I get try out new mods... which is why i now have 10.7GB worth of KSP on my computer 8)

EDIT: seems that mod pack has a few bugs. I got three magenta squares on the screen, and the space Kraken seems to have been awoken. I might try making my own lite version of the pack, with slightly fewer mods.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:12:02 pm by ank »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: February 14, 2014, 10:03:56 am »

Hi, I'm GreatWyrmGold. I've been trying my hand at Kerbal Space Program, having managed...95 minutes of crashes of various sorts. Recently, I gave up the idea of "If I can master DF without tutorials I can master KSP without them!" and found this tutorial. I tried following it with the stock many-stage rocket, snd failed at Step 6. I couldn't get it to turn. Does anyone have some advice?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: February 14, 2014, 10:15:49 am »

Hey GWG. Your link doesn't go anywhere so I'm not entirely certain where you're having problems (although I suspect it's this one: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:_How_to_Get_into_Orbit). Also, I'm sure that others with vastly more experience will chime in soon and outweigh my bit of advice. I've made it to the moons and back and to Duna and back (without landing) but I'm certainly not an expert and efficiency. Anyway, here goes...

If you are going through the tutorial I linked above that means you are in map mode when you get to step six. In map mode you are unable to control the craft until you pop up the navball which is at the bottom in the middle. It does mention that in step 5 of the tutorial, but I'm going to assume that it got missed somehow.

If that's not the case then it's possible that your ship will turn but it's weight and whatnot make it very slow to turn. I've had ships massive enough to need a good 10-15 seconds of constant key press before they begin turning in any meaningful way. That can be offset by adding some RCS to the ship (as well as RCS fuel) and toggling RCS on wth the R key. I doubt this is the problem if you are using the ship outlined in the tutorial.

Anyway, that's the info I've got for you. If you can give a bit more specifics on where you are running in to trouble that would be helpful.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:43 am »

Add more reaction wheels and winglets, and use engines with thrust vectoring. Also, just using Mechjebs ascent guidance function is great. It pops up a target on your navball, and now I can do basically perfect gravity turns easily and without mechjebs help.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:21:25 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: February 14, 2014, 10:29:11 am »

Hey GWG. Your link doesn't go anywhere so I'm not entirely certain where you're having problems (although I suspect it's this one: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:_How_to_Get_into_Orbit).
You would be correct and I would be confused at how I bungled the copy-paste.

If you are going through the tutorial I linked above that means you are in map mode when you get to step six. In map mode you are unable to control the craft until you pop up the navball which is at the bottom in the middle. It does mention that in step 5 of the tutorial, but I'm going to assume that it got missed somehow.
I couldn't get it to change even in non-map-mode.

If that's not the case then it's possible that your ship will turn but it's weight and whatnot make it very slow to turn. I've had ships massive enough to need a good 10-15 seconds of constant key press before they begin turning in any meaningful way. That can be offset by adding some RCS to the ship (as well as RCS fuel) and toggling RCS on wth the R key. I doubt this is the problem if you are using the ship outlined in the tutorial.
Anyway, that's the info I've got for you. If you can give a bit more specifics on where you are running in to trouble that would be helpful.
Alright, I'll try your suggestion when I get a chance (KSP during class is not a good idea) and get back to you on that.

Add more reaction wheels and winglets, and use engines with thrust vectoring.
Two things of note:
1. I'm using the demo. I'm not sure if I have reaction wheels.
2. Last (aka first) time I tried to design a ship, is didn't get very far before it spontaneously flipped around. This kind of thing isn't ideal for improving my confidence in my shipwrightery.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: February 14, 2014, 10:38:05 am »

The demo is a completely different game at this point.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: February 14, 2014, 10:46:01 am »

I'm pretty sure reaction wheels were added in .18, which the demo is based on.

Also, yeah, wings. I'm pretty sure the 48-7S was in, so you can make a super-simple SSTO with the smallest probe core, a T200 fuel tank and a Rockomax 48-7S to practice getting-to-orbit technique.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: February 14, 2014, 11:59:02 am »

Whoo.
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: February 14, 2014, 12:18:21 pm »

Whoo.

At this point I don't remember .18 at all. It's been more than a year since demo release.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: February 14, 2014, 12:50:22 pm »

Note to self: Just because you can put parachutes on solid fuel boosters does not mean you should.
Note to self: Just because there weren't heat issues before you removed the parachutes does not mean you will be fine afterwards. Also, put a decoupler between the command pod and the final engine.
Note to self: Why the heck did the command pod detach first? Investigate this matter for the next version.
Note to self: What the heck just happened. Why are the engines not turning on now?
Note to self: Okay, I think I see what happened there. Let's try this again.
Note to self: Okay, second stage still not firing.
Note to self: Alright, this went well, except for the part where we ran out of fuel at 26,000 meters. That actually screwed things up. On the other hand, the new RCS systems in the command pod were a hit with Ground Control, much more than with Bob Kerman. In related news, we need to hire new Ground Control personnel. On the bright side, the RCS system also works in water.
Note to self: There needs to be an Undo option for people who somehow accidentally delete their entire ship. Also, a zoom-out option. Also double-check action stages. Still, this was a pretty darn successful rocket; aside from the angled-ascent stage going a bit long at a slightly steep angle and some problems when I remembered and activated my RCS systems, it went pretty well. However, in the end I merely ascended to a height of slightly over 1,700 kilometers before descending in an orbit so elliptical it crashed into the opposite side of the world. Also, time warp is useful, but it messes with parachutes. RIP, Robert.

Alright, I think I'll take a break.
Sig

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: February 14, 2014, 12:52:08 pm »

Ctrl+Z for undo, boss. Scroll your mouse wheel down to zoom out.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 848