Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413101 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8295 on: February 25, 2014, 12:36:05 pm »

You could probably make something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And it would probably work just as well.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8296 on: February 25, 2014, 12:59:15 pm »

How exactly would one go about making a circular ship, anyway?
It's not easy, or pretty, but you can approximate it with hexaradial symmetry.
But that just ain't the same, maaaaaaan.
I must contact a modder, and ask them to make a disc hull...

There are donuts of various dimensions built as habitat. You could go from there.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:43 pm »

The one thing I dislike about the current engine: you can fork parts but you can't get them back together again. You can't build a square box without a lot of space tape.
Huh? What about bi- and tri- and quad-couplers?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: February 25, 2014, 01:21:27 pm »

The one thing I dislike about the current engine: you can fork parts but you can't get them back together again. You can't build a square box without a lot of space tape.
Huh? What about bi- and tri- and quad-couplers?

You can't get them back together again at the other end. Put two tri couplers together. They are only connected at one node, not three. Use three way symmetry on an I-beam on one tri coupler. You can't get the I-beams' other ends together.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:24:46 pm by BigD145 »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: February 25, 2014, 01:26:37 pm »

You can use docking ports, though it's weaker.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: February 25, 2014, 01:44:58 pm »

I've just tried the demo and it looks awesome! only one thing though...
When ever I successfully (unsuccessful is when I launch but instead of flying something breaks off from the ship then it crashes on the ground) launch, the rocket starts tilting slowly until it starts heading for the beach and crashes :(

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: February 25, 2014, 01:52:33 pm »

I don't know much about the demo, but try using more wings and SAS modules. If there are any things on the outside which may cause drag, remove them or add them on the other side too.

On a more basic level, if you aren't using auto-symmetry, use it. One booster being just a little higher than the others can do that do ya.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: February 25, 2014, 01:53:55 pm »

Sounds like a case of pushing the throttle too hard. Let up on it a little while you're in the lower atmosphere or add more parts which give you better control like control fins, vectored thrust engines and SAS/Reaction Wheels.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: February 25, 2014, 01:59:46 pm »

Well, I did push the throttle up button for a very long time so that might be the problem, thanks.

I don't know much about the demo, but try using more wings and SAS modules. If there are any things on the outside which may cause drag, remove them or add them on the other side too.

On a more basic level, if you aren't using auto-symmetry, use it. One booster being just a little higher than the others can do that do ya.

I did this when the rocket hit the beach, the wings jumped off the rocket and exploded, then I pressed the launch button again and it went up then crashed to the beach.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: February 25, 2014, 02:44:13 pm »

You could try using the procedural fairings mod to make the UFO. It should give you a nice, clean curve. I wish it had existed when I built my first Foo Fighter.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: February 25, 2014, 05:57:44 pm »

so you inspired me this

it can barely reach orbit. but the most interesting part are all the little detail that got added, one failure at a time.

like, it has backward intake scopes, so the rapier can breathe while landing (crash1)
it has some girders extending from the middle tanks that don't have rapier, so that it is more resistant to landing (crash2) and it has the engines double strapped to the struts to avoid them falling on touchdown (crash3)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: February 25, 2014, 09:41:09 pm »

Huh... I wonder if I could make a UFO powered by phantom forces now that I'm using a modpack which includes a freely rotating ball bearing system. Though I also need to see if phantom forces work at all in FAR... Science time.

edit: Nope, my classic phantom forces abusing design fails to function at all in FAR; if anything, it slows it down.

Edit2: So instead, in the style of XKCD What If, I did even better. I modified the Infernal Robotics rotating docking collar to spin at a rate of 500 instead of 20, and built a helicopter prototype. More to follow.

Edit3: Remember folks, just because it's impossible, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. UFO:

For the curious, that's using the Interstellar Quest mods (including FAR), with only modifications to the Infernal Robotics rotational docking collars (increasing their speed from 20 to 500). It has 2 sets of rotors, in order to counteract any torque, which works perfectly. Each set of rotors has 2 layers of 4 fan blades each made of 2 SH 4x1 wings (B9 aerospace I believe?). It goes up at around .2 m/s, before eventually tipping sideways due to lack of other controls.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:49:54 pm by alway »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: February 25, 2014, 10:59:52 pm »

You can't get them back together again at the other end. Put two tri couplers together. They are only connected at one node, not three. Use three way symmetry on an I-beam on one tri coupler. You can't get the I-beams' other ends together.
Really? Huh.

When ever I successfully (unsuccessful is when I launch but instead of flying something breaks off from the ship then it crashes on the ground) launch, the rocket starts tilting slowly until it starts heading for the beach and crashes :(
Was the SAS on? Did you have SAS modules? (I believe they're under Control.)

-snip-
Awesome.
Wait, air intake depends on the orientation of the intake? That's...unexpectedly realistic and stuff...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: February 26, 2014, 02:48:43 am »

Awesome.
Wait, air intake depends on the orientation of the intake? That's...unexpectedly realistic and stuff...

well, it's complicate: they provide air flying backward (a long standing bug) but rapier somehow knows something is up and don't switch to atmospheric, which is bad because the limited amount of oxidizer that ship carries.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: February 26, 2014, 01:49:42 pm »

Was the SAS on? Did you have SAS modules? (I believe they're under Control.)

I tried it with the SAS and it worked, managed to get old Jeb into orbit but ran out of fuel, and if I add more fuel tanks the rocket loses balance crashes.

How do you set the launch stages? as in which engines get fired up first, when should the detach things cut off said engines and their fuel tanks after they're exhausted and so on...
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 848