Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413083 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drogue_parachute
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejector_seat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_flare#Military_use
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_mine

Spoiler: edit guff... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:14:12 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok now have time to play KSP, just waiting for kas and novapunch price changes (discarded waiting for remotetech few versions back - it's always last to update, shame as it should be merged into a game itself long time ago). How stable is stock 64bit?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So-so.
Highly Opinionated Fool

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, time to restart career mode with remote tech. 

Sending gravy sensor orbiters to mun and minmus, plus my 9-lander science harvestor took me from about 20% of total science to around 130%.

Now, instead of doing missions with experimental parts, I have everything unlocked and am suddenly bored.

So, next time with remote tech.  And, no more mega science harvesting missions.  Also, will require myself to immediately try to explore any celistial body that there is a mission for, with whatever parts I have at the moment.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gravy? What form of Gravy?
Highly Opinionated Fool

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Negative gravioli gravy.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick question. Will KSP reasonably convert my 0.23.5 career game to 0.24.2? I don't want to redo all the science gathering, and restart my space program from scratch. :-\

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Science is easy. Do you have your vab/sph craft saved? Just rebuild. Copy those over. Challenge yourself to operate on a budget.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

my saves converted nicely, but I started over to try out career with contracts.  worth doing.

Now that you can get a bit of science from contracts, I didnt have to bother with scraping up tiny bits of easy science from local Kerbin biomes. 

Also, I suck less at orbital mechanics now, so I didn't have to do as much tedious scraping for the cheap science.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Challenge yourself to operate on a budget.

That's what I'll try to be doing. I'm all about having goals, but I'm worried the budget system will enforce always using the most efficient designs if you want to stay in the green, which can get boring fast. There's really not much design leeway when it comes to absolute efficiency for a given task. I'm worried a good number of parts will be left out of the equation because they're overkill and/or there are more cost-effective alternatives.

Are the contracts dynamic enough to present less orthodox objectives every now and then, and ask for things like multi-kerbal crews, which is generally considered grossly inefficient?

my saves converted nicely, but I started over to try out career with contracts.  worth doing.

Now that you can get a bit of science from contracts, I didnt have to bother with scraping up tiny bits of easy science from local Kerbin biomes. 

Also, I suck less at orbital mechanics now, so I didn't have to do as much tedious scraping for the cheap science.

Good to know, thanks!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, the contracts allow you to make the wackiest designs and staging if you're trying to do more than two in a single craft.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm worried the budget system will enforce always using the most efficient designs if you want to stay in the green

Nah.  You'll have some cheap and efficient designs early on, but before long you'll be rolling with over a million funds in the bank and looking at doing some "just for fun" missions or sending up some super heavy lifters with 500k boost stages.

One of my lessons learned from my first contract game - dont build too efficient or exploit only the high ROI contracts.  Else you end up with too much cash and bored.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile

Yeah everyone I've talked to is afraid to do career because they don't want to run out of funds... and that isn't really a huge issue. Maybe if you don't savescum or revert and you explode a couple super heavy launches it might set you back, but... not much.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I am mostly waiting for my realism modset to update, then will start a career. Founding will not be an issue but still you need some planning and I hope the management part of the program to become challenging when using tac life support, remote tech, ferram and deadly reentry combo

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

If you're worried about funds, get debRefund and put a parachute on everything.  You'll usually get back 75-90% of the part value (minus the fuel) and that'll keep you in funds easily.
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 848