Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1412878 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10635 on: October 27, 2014, 10:31:39 am »

What does reputation even do?

It influences which contracts you get offered and probably how many at any given time.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10636 on: October 27, 2014, 01:04:57 pm »

It's fun to play with a bit. I spent a ton of reputation by purchasing some strategies, and they stopped giving me the big money missions.

Had to work at it a bit before anyone wanted to pay me to explore another planet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: October 31, 2014, 06:42:10 am »

50 minutes burn - ion is efficient, but booring

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: October 31, 2014, 06:59:37 am »

That's just ridiculously low TWR. You can get much better burn times with a few Near Future solar panels and a basic Gyro-Two argon thruster. To say nothing of a, say, AFTER xenon thruster. Or a HI-SNAP, although the energy requirements for those start mounting up pretty quickly.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: October 31, 2014, 07:08:45 am »

That's why you force physical time warp or set burns like that with higher twr chemical rockets. A Poodle and the smallest 2.5m tank could push that vehicle far.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: October 31, 2014, 07:19:12 am »

Yeah, but 6000 m/s ⌂v !

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: October 31, 2014, 08:46:25 am »

Just played my first 2 hours and already lost a command pod + kerbonaut in the orbit on accident. Poor little guy. :(

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: October 31, 2014, 09:25:07 am »

Yeah, but 6000 m/s ⌂v !
Not even that good m8.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: October 31, 2014, 09:40:50 am »

Poodle and smallest 2.5m tank alone is 3500 m/s with a really nice TWR if it's pushing a small payload. That will shave half an hour off the burn. Totally worth it. With an atomic and same tank plus a quarter of a ton more you can get double that dV using the Atomic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: October 31, 2014, 10:03:16 am »

that antenna required for remote tech weights a lot, plus it needs some gigantor to run and each gigantor needs a radiator or two thanks to interstellar :P

to make things work there is a lot of dead weight to carry around (just the way I like it, no mad stuff like satellite visiting jools out of a xeno tank)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: October 31, 2014, 10:57:57 am »

I know all those parts. I add in ScanSat parts to stuff like that and a Poodle pusher can help save time. Using two Ions also helps, but the panels aren't enough if you're relying entirely on the biggest dish for connection. That dish is only half a ton. The Gigantor's collectively weigh more.

This thing is built for Jool aerocapture. It has 1700 m/s to play with around Jool. That's a poodle pushing around 20 tons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It doesn't need to even touch the poodle before it hits Jool's SOI.

Just swapped in an Atomic and it gets 0.43 TWR and 3500 m/s.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:59:44 am by BigD145 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: November 04, 2014, 08:30:11 pm »

Had the luxury of playing this on the laptop last night. Sent a mission to Moho, and managed to put my craft on a collision course with it. Fixed that after much panicking when I realized the collision was only 3 minutes away. And of course i hadnt quicksaved yet. I apparently bled off most of that speed in correcting for a flyover with 30km head room: when I left the periapsis was 7 minutes out. Barely enough time to finish circularizing.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: November 06, 2014, 02:18:51 am »

Something in Remote Tech seems to have broken in my Realism Overhaul game. I can't launch satellites because it doesn't register a link while on the ground. Once I get something to space it can connect with the ground fine, but not within the atmosphere. I even tried making my launch platform into a remote command center to no avail. I was able to control probes before, and I haven't changed anything about the game since then so I don't know what could have happened.

Also, in light of the recent SpaceShipTwo crash, I tried to make a replica of SpaceShipOne. It actually looks pretty good considering the limited parts, but I haven't been able to get it into space yet. The aerodynamics are extremely difficult to get right when dealing with something so small with a strongly shifting mass, and I can't emulate the feathering effect since I'm not using infernal robotics. I've gotten it to the point where it can deploy from the launcher and make it to about 50km, but the weight of the wings causes it to destabilize and stall out as it uses fuel.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: November 06, 2014, 02:33:29 am »

I this is a feature. Check your antennas.

most are fragile and needed to be extended after you are in space. There are a couplethat work immediately and in atmosphere, you will need one of those to launch an unpiloted craft.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: November 06, 2014, 02:35:23 am »

I've gotten it to the point where it can deploy from the launcher and make it to about 50km, but the weight of the wings causes it to destabilize and stall out as it uses fuel.

have you put rcs on your replica nose? vernors might actually be required even if they use a smaller rcs system.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 848