Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1413847 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Yea that's why I tend to enjoy atmospheric stuff like spaceplanes and mining more than actually going to space.  Even if I wanna go to duna it's either overengineer the hell out of some supercraft that could make it to any point in the solar system just to get to duna without an ideal launch window, or spend multiple years in flight, or even multiple years just waiting for a window. And it is just immersion breaking that the space program would do nothing in this time.

I can kinda solve the multiple years in flight thing by running other missions while waiting, but then I risk doing something stupid like accidentally forgetting about a key date or something and 'Duna or Bust MK IV' ends up lithobraking on duna while I'm building racecars and ramps at the KSC.

So yes, I've only been to Duna once. (yes it involved explosions)  Never went there again.  Been there, done that, stranded a kerbal there.  So I'm perfectly happy building mining bases and more and more complex transport planes and SSTOs at kerbin.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:14:01 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

while I'm building racecars and ramps at the KSC.
what am I doing with my life?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile

I can kinda solve the multiple years in flight thing by running other missions while waiting, but then I risk doing something stupid like accidentally forgetting about a key date or something and 'Duna or Bust MK IV' ends up lithobraking on duna while I'm building racecars and ramps at the KSC.

I'd suggest getting Kerbal Alarm Clock, it's a good mod that doesn't add anything cheaty, just a realistic scheduling feature I would imagine getting added to the game eventually.
Famous for stupidity and humor.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Literally next version.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

while I'm building racecars and ramps at the KSC.
what am I doing with my life?
Evidently not building racecars.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Go make some stylish functional pieces of art now!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Er, Caution; contains small parts which are a choking hazard for infants, spontaneous disassembly may occur, see a doctor if nausea persists, race cars are not to be taken internally, or to be used for transport of live animals, racecars are not a significant source of dietary nutrients.
Edited because large gif was insufficiently explody enough.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:45:19 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Are there any mods that give fueled wheels?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just put flywheels on stock fuel tanks.  Nothing could go wrong with this.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm a newbie with Kerbal and have been toying around with the career mode for a while. Currently working on Project Munshot. Phase I, the satellite, went without a hitch but now I'm stuck in Phase II, the unmanned lander. The first lander touched down in the canyons, fell over, dropped from a cliff and exploded. The second one fell over, I got it flying again regardless but a mishap with the flight computer (modded) sent it careening back into the surface. Right now the third lander actually landed upright and made it back to Kerbin. Unfortunately I landed on the dark side of Kerbin and the batteries ran out before I could deploy the parachutes  :'(

Just wanted to share...
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Experiences like that are priceless.  In stock, you can actually deploy parachutes before hitting atmosphere and they are strong enough not to rip off as you re-enter.

Unless you are using something like Deadly Reentery, there is no penalty from popping the chutes early.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

On that note, it is now a personal tradition when playing with TAC Life Support that my first Munshot must be built without solar panels, thus requiring me to throttle up occasionally to prevent death by air toxicity. Note: It is REALLY hard to do this without quicksaves.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

My mun landers tend to use the engine that doesn't produce power, so...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I think he is mostly talking about transfer stages.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

We need some kind of stock fuel cell.

Protip: If you disable electric charge resource on a batter you can enable it later. It is basically the same as shutting the craft down to save power. I do this to save power for my unmanned probes. They only turn 'on' when I have a correction burn to make.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

we've the rtg but that's unlocked way later. you can always pack more capsule, for that extra battery capacity at low tech :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I guess you could include two engines pointed exactly opposite each other so that their thrust cancels out, and fire them to generate power.
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 848