Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginning to hate ghosts  (Read 1186 times)

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beginning to hate ghosts
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:01:16 pm »

So I've been working for a long time on making my ring of fire. Basic idea is just to have a volcano, and build a ring of fire with a lot of hatches that I can open at will (I plan to weaponize this further later, as soon as I can go outside the walls safely enough). However, recently the ghosts that I can't get rid of have decided to inhibit my plans as much as they can by opening the hatches, which is annoying as I'm only now filling the ring.

Grrrr. Damn ghosts.
=Uncool-

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning to hate ghosts
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:31 pm »

Just bury the body or memorialize the dead, and you should never have to deal with ghosts.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:35:58 pm »

You're not supposed to like them...

Use floodgates.  Ghosts open doors and hatches, as these are meant for foot traffic, although they ignore the mechanisms locking them down.  Floodgates are not meant for foot traffic, and are ghost immune.  That, or use an elaborate system of failsafe pressure plates to lock down the ring in case of breach.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:52:22 pm »

You're not supposed to like them...

Use floodgates.  Ghosts open doors and hatches, as these are meant for foot traffic, although they ignore the mechanisms locking them down.  Floodgates are not meant for foot traffic, and are ghost immune.  That, or use an elaborate system of failsafe pressure plates to lock down the ring in case of breach.
The problem is that I specifically want to use a hatch, since it allows the magma to flow over it at all times, while a floodgate (and any other similar building, as far as I can tell) does not.

The failsafe pressure plates are actually part of what I plan to use to weaponize the ring - the ring will (hopefully) activate whenever a monster steps onto the plate, and will deactivate once a sufficient amount of magma has been discharged.
=Uncool-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:30:27 pm »

Float your gates.  Build a wall, place a floodgate atop the wall, then dismantle the wall.  The gate remains floating.  Gates also prevent flow across Z levels, so you can really replace hatches with gates unless it's a tight fit.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:12 pm »

Float your gates.  Build a wall, place a floodgate atop the wall, then dismantle the wall.  The gate remains floating.  Gates also prevent flow across Z levels, so you can really replace hatches with gates unless it's a tight fit.
Let me see if I'm getting this right:

I want to have a hatch design as follows (cross-section):
Code: [Select]
O_OO = wall, _ = hatch.

You're saying build like this:
O O

O

O O
 F
 O
O O
 F
with F = floodgate
right?
=Uncool-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:56 pm »

Pretty much, yes.  That will float the gate, and allow fluids (but not creatures) to go above it, while blocking the flow of liquid down (or blocking from going up, with appropriate pressure).  I grew to love this because I had a water trap on a temperate biome.  First year of testing, the freezing destroyed my hatches and ruined the plan.  Second year, floated some floodgates.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:06:47 am »

Pretty much, yes.  That will float the gate, and allow fluids (but not creatures) to go above it, while blocking the flow of liquid down (or blocking from going up, with appropriate pressure).  I grew to love this because I had a water trap on a temperate biome.  First year of testing, the freezing destroyed my hatches and ruined the plan.  Second year, floated some floodgates.

Weird. I've been working on a glacier, and freezing has had absolutely no effect on the hatches I used to separate an ice field from the farms (I allowed the magma to melt the ice to irrigate the farms to begin with). I can even open and close the hatches while the field is iced over.

I assume the floated floodgates don't allow walking across? That will make things a little more annoying, but still workable.

ETA:
Ironically, the hatches are, in a meta way, self-correcting. When the magma gets to flow downwards, the fps plummets, alerting me to the fact that there's a problem somewhere and allowing me to correct it really, really quickly. Who woulda thunk that fps death would be awesome for the fort?
=Uncool-
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:31:37 am by uncool »