Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XI Mod v0.6  (Read 4645 times)

neosorcerer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XI Mod v0.6
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:33:47 pm »

This is a total conversion mod based on the world of Final Fantasy XI, including the creatures, races, jobs, items and more. Many features are added but still unfinished. I'm releasing this alpha version for some feedback.

Still a million things left to finish! I'm sure much of it is horribly broken at the moment but why not?

Screenshot
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Download: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4654
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:06:59 pm by neosorcerer »

neosorcerer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:34:06 pm »

reserved

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:24:47 pm »

I never played XI, actually. After I played Final Fantasy X, I decided that they were incapable of making a plot that made ANY sense, and gave up on the series.

Good work though.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »

Just basing off regular FF experience, I can see a few recurring creatures being involved in this. Bombs, oh dear lord, bombs. They will end forts if they explode before being killed. Gel/flan will be rather hard to kill unless affected by the element they're colored after instead of physically attacked (great for adventuring). I think elementals would be rather insane to deal with as well (similar issue with the gel/flan, except opposing elements to kill with). Essentially anything with an elemental modifier would in general be difficult to kill, especially if physical attacks are rendered moot against them. Unless you can enchant armor in fort mode, I think you've got a meat grinder attacking your place.

EDIT:
FF EXP: 986645860 EXP
LVL. 99

But seriously, I am as far experienced as any other kid was playing since the 90s. So my experience is with FF4, 6, 7, X, X-2, and XII, Tactics and Dissidia (got more background on Espers and the heroes/villains of the other games). I had an SNES but no NES back then, and never got around to playing the ones I missed. Just as well, I only managed to afford 7, but not the others (time and money); yet another to remedy. As for next-next-gen with XIII and onward, I dunno; kinda heard that XIII was a bit of a disappointment that was far too linear. Then again, I also don't own a PS3 or XB360 anyway; and if/when I could afford to get either, I think I would just invest in rebuilds of the classics I played anyway for their previous systems (Shadow of the Colossus with a PS3 upgrade? worth it).

If you want to include some of the other games' elements, I would love to see magitek armor in use as mounts, but they might be a bit difficult to program to stay still and not die without pilots.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:39:47 pm by Itnetlolor »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:01:41 pm »

I say go for it!
Final Fantasy have always been some of my favorite games.
So it's the Online one you base this of. Interesting choice.

@Armaco: You could try playing some of the earlier games.
FF6 and FF9 are what I would recommend.
You could try FF7, many fans love it, many non-fans hate it. I am somewhere in between.

neosorcerer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 07:26:00 pm »

Just basing off regular FF experience, I can see a few recurring creatures being involved in this. Bombs, oh dear lord, bombs. They will end forts if they explode before being killed. Gel/flan will be rather hard to kill unless affected by the element they're colored after instead of physically attacked (great for adventuring). I think elementals would be rather insane to deal with as well (similar issue with the gel/flan, except opposing elements to kill with). Essentially anything with an elemental modifier would in general be difficult to kill, especially if physical attacks are rendered moot against them. Unless you can enchant armor in fort mode, I think you've got a meat grinder attacking your place.

Hehe... magic, elementals and other arcana are a work in progress. I'm trying to hack in something resembling magic but it's quite messy right now. I'm also going to have to spend a lot of time fiddling with material values so I can get all the proper strengths/weaknesses working.

I say go for it!
Final Fantasy have always been some of my favorite games.
So it's the Online one you base this of. Interesting choice.

FFXI just works as a dwarf fortress mod. It has all the creatures and plants and crafting and different races, while other Final Fantasies don't have all that depth. But I'm still going to take inspiration from other games in the series where ever I can.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »

Can't we base it off FF1 and FF2? Those are the only ones I played.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:06:15 am »

so... because you've only played 1 and 2, so modmaker should make a mod just based on those?
well i havent played FF at all so should he also quit making the mod?

and yes. im just trolling around

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:20:20 am »

Ooo, a FFXI mod, nice!  I only played it for a little while though, heh.  I lose interest in MMOs pretty fast.

I currently am working on a FF9 conversion myself....the one real problem I'm running into is trying to find a siege race.  (Although, since I'm slowly replacing all the animals in the world with FF9 bestiary monsters, the Fun can come from just embarking.  Why yes Grand Dragons can appear in any mountains!)

Will be watching this to see where it goes. :3

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:40:32 pm »

In FFXI there are plenty of Siege Races.
Goblins and orcs (who are very different from the gobbos and orcs you might know.)
The uh.. flightless bird people.. forgot their names.. The Quadav (tortoise people).
And some others I forgot.. But plenty of besiegers.  :D

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 03:35:54 pm »

THIS. MOD. IS. THE. SH*T!
Good job, I love it, i don't know what half the stuff is cause i rarely play final fantasy outside of the "tactics" franchise.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »

No Moogle race? I feel betrayed...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 04:17:53 pm »

In FFXi Moogles are.. weird flying things and they are not a playable race.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 04:39:04 pm »

In FFXi Moogles are.. weird flying things and they are not a playable race.

Well they are a race, just not a playable one.

MASTER_PROGRAMMER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 08:15:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You beat me to a release. XD

here, this all is from FF3 for the nes. :3

from what i remember, all the velocity values, is the weapon's attack power, with 2 or so 0's added to the end....but the magic was different.

anyways, you can take full credit for this is you use it. :3
i don't really care, so long as SOMEONE uses it. XD

Pages: [1] 2 3