Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF mode music  (Read 2419 times)

Void Rocket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF mode music
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

Okay, the first time I played Dwarf Fortress, I gotta say it was the music that struck me most (since the joy of "HOLY JEEZ I CAN SUSTAIN MY OWN FORT NOW" didn't come until several weeks after I started). What the heck is it? Don't tell me Tarn or Zach just sat down one day and recorded a quick little acoustic riff just for the purposes of adding a bit of liveliness to the game. It's seriously a beautiful piece, at least in my opinion, and I must know the story behind it. D: Do the two play music as well as program? I mean, it's almost too good for a non-commercial product (no hate toward DF though, definitely better than about 95% of games out there). Etc. etc., enough of my questions. Anyone know much about it?

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF mode music
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

All I know is that toady answered some questions about it and one of those answers basically said that he wrote it.

Void Rocket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

Hopefully someone has the source of that thread/conversation

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

THE SOURCE

I only remeber because I have been here awhile. Also search is a useful tool.

[ April 02, 2008: Message edited by: ricemastah ]

Void Rocket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

My gosh, I can't imagine how he could've done that. Thanks, ricemastah.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

It's a rather nice piece. Sounds it bit rough in a few places, but that might just be that he's doing something weird that I'm not used to hearing. Much better than anything I can do on guitar. Toady is teh kick-assery.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

I'd only been playing for a year and a half at the time...  a lot of it is flubbed notes + me not knowing how to prepare and clean up a recording.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 04:15:00 am »

Yeah, you mute and miss a few notes here and there but the compositions are really good !

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

Wow, looking at those tabs, it finally hits me that the DF music is about 95% basic finger-picking techniques. I tend to get lost in it while its playing - Sometimes I have to actually turn it off so I don't lose track of time.  :p

This thread makes me appreciate how much work this game that much more - I always figured that track was some freely available demo piece from teh Intartubes.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

You can sort of simulate that style of improvisational guitar playing by learning a limited set of chords, mostly in the minor keys, and playing them by finger picking one string at a time, with different (random?) patterns, in rapid tempo. It has a really cool effect.
火族

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

I loved it, too, but it drove me -insane- after listening to it and nothing else for eight hours straight in the middle of the night.

That's when I said: "This game is really, really awesome.  And it needs more music."  Of course, I did see that this is planned for the future, and this made me happy.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

Yeah, I'll be glad when it can take more cues (seasonal, high activity, low activity, siege, trade, so on, so forth). I play harp and have been noodling around with DF-themed songs (my modding urges know no limit?!) but there's not much ability to use 'em yet.

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »

I suspected that the guitar bit was a Toady. It's nice and atmospheric, and decently skilled.

I'm sure the community would make some more great music files for various events and cues. I'd love to hear them in the game!

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

I liked the funky pauses as much as the music itself. Maybe the motto is contagious...

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

I'd like to see the community band together and make some more music for the game.  Maybe even with a utility of some sort that could detect what's happening in the game and adjust the music accordingly. Actually, something that could generate random music based on what's currently happening in the game would be awesome... Probably crazily difficult, though. Hmm...
Pages: [1] 2