Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69

Author Topic: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE  (Read 239139 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

UPDATE: As of May 2021 Beginner's Games have not been run on this forum for several years as there's not enough activity to support them. If you are interested in playing mafia, state your interest in the Games Threshold Discussion and List thread.

Welcome to the Mafia Subforum

If you've wandered down here, odds are you're curious about the game and want to know what mafia's all about, or maybe you already have some experience and are looking to find a place to play, or maybe you accidentally clicked the link and are wondering what the hell you're looking at.

Whatever the reason, we want you here.

If you don't know anything about Mafia, it is a game where a large group of players known as the town plays against a small group of players known as the mafia. The mafia begin the game with two advantages the town does not have: knowledge of who the other members of the mafia are, and a nightkill, the ability to remove a player from the game during the Night phase. It is up to the town to use the Day phase to scrutinize players and determine who the members of the mafia are, and then vote to decide who to lynch, which removes a player from the game. The town wins when the mafia are all eliminated, and the mafia wins when the town are eliminated. There are many variants of the game, and many roles which give players special abilities that can be used during the phases of the game, but at its core, Mafia remains a game about the interplay between the town and the mafia, and the day and the night.

If you're already excited about the game of Mafia and desperately want to play it, just post in this thread and say that you're interested. Posting here lets us know that you're interested, so it makes you easy to find when the next Beginner's Mafia Game starts up. You'll be added to the waiting list, which makes it even easier for moderators to find you when games start up. Beginner's Mafias start up every couple of weeks, and there's always a need for replacements, so odds are you won't have to wait long to begin playing.

We like having new players, but it's often an intense and stressful experience for brand spanking new players to join a game and get thrown in immediately with experienced players. To help ease new players in, we started a Beginner's Mafia system, to train new players and get them accustomed to the game. Over the course of time, we've worked at improving the system, resulting in the highly polished, efficient training games we currently have now.

While we do have the Beginner's Mafia system, we don't have an easy way to inform new players about the unwritten rules we have for new players, and we don't have an easy way to gauge interest for the next Beginner's Mafia. This thread serves these two purposes.

As mentioned, if you're interested in the game of Mafia and learning how to play, post in this thread, and let us know you want to play. This thread will be kept up to date with important information about the current and next Beginner's Mafia.

In the meantime, if you absolutely can not wait to get your Mafia fix, there's several resources you can look over to give yourself a head start:

Mafia: A Basic Tutorial - A general rundown of the rules and how the game proceeds.

The Notable Games Archive - Games that are spectacular above the rest.

Mafiascum Wiki - A helpful resource of roles and gametype information. Includes theory discussion and guides as well.

If you have a question, just ask! I can guarantee someone will be by to answer your question in minutes. Seriously, this is all we do all day.

Current Beginner's Game: Beginner's Mafia LV

Last Beginner's Game: Beginner's Mafia LIV: Town victory!

Beginner's Mafia Waiting List:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 04:46:54 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:40:47 am »

Reserved.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:05:19 pm »

I approve.
This should be pinned.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:06:36 pm »

Agreed, this should be pinned.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »

Voting for pin, and also suggesting to maybe add a descriptor to the BM's. Like in the notable games archive.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:34:03 pm »

Yes.  Just... fuck yes.

Voting for a pin and seconding the short description idea, because right now it's sort of a wall o BMs.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:36:17 pm »

Okay.

I'm interested in playing Mafia.

Finally.

Anyway, yeah, pin.

EDIT: One thing I've never been clear about. To perform a Nightkill, Mafia members have to PM the GM to vote?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:39:04 pm by freeformschooler »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 03:39:38 pm »

Nah. They have a special topic where they can post in.

A serial killer or a vigilante, on the other hand, has no topic so they have to PM the mod, yeah. That goes for any power role, really.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 03:41:42 pm »

A serial killer or a vigilante, on the other hand, has no topic
All the cool ones do.  It's pretty much the best chance you'll ever get for monologuing.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 03:45:27 pm »

Nah. They have a special topic where they can post in.

What? Why? Aren't the townies able to read that topic then and find out who the mafia are? Or is there some way to limit a topic to be able to be read or viewed or noticed by certain members?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:46:12 pm »

They can't. That's the beauty of quicktopic: it's part of the "hidden" internet. You can't just google for it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 03:47:43 pm »

Oh, you mean that the topic is not hosted on bay 12.

That makes sense.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 03:47:52 pm »

To clarify: the mafia talk on a thread on a site called quicktopic. Quicktopic has all threads set so that Google doesn't crawl them, so the only way to get to the thread is to have a direct link to it provided by the moderator.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »

That is completely awesome. I'll probably be a huge idiot (bluh bluh) starting out but I've read through the entire basic ruleset. Awaiting XXV.

Another thing: do people usually roleplay in the day?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 03:51:35 pm »

We had a RP mafia (arseholes). But no, rping isn't needed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69