Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Vengeful Mafia 8: Pirate commits suicide, Scum wins  (Read 18421 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful Mafia 8, Day 1: Thar be no treasure!
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:18 am »

No, I'm still voting because someone else hasn't appeared scummier, which is actually kinda hard to do in this situation.
And that is a policy, just like I said.

You misread. It's kind of hard to look less scummier than Max, and for the same reason. Like I said, he's about 50/50 right now and the rest of everyone I either don't have a scum meta on or haven't posted anything revealing.
Aren't we all 50/50 as of this point? At least by my maths...

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2011, 02:50:40 am »

No, I'm still voting because someone else hasn't appeared scummier, which is actually kinda hard to do in this situation.
And that is a policy, just like I said.

A policy for scumhunting? Yeah, I guess.

You misread. It's kind of hard to look less scummier than Max, and for the same reason. Like I said, he's about 50/50 right now and the rest of everyone I either don't have a scum meta on or haven't posted anything revealing.
Aren't we all 50/50 as of this point? At least by my maths...

Explain your maths, then. What do you find scummy or not scummy about me and the other players?
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2011, 02:54:30 am »

Haha, you don't see it? I suspect you a little now Native.
Three town, two mafia. If you are a town, your looking at two town, two mafia, 50/50 chance for anybody to be either mafia or scum. Although if you are mafia, and not sneaky enough to catch on, you see things for what they are, so 100% chance on everybody.

Your inability to see things from a townie perspective is rather incriminating to you. If Panda didn't already have a vote on you, I would do it myself.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2011, 03:05:04 am »

Haha, you don't see it? I suspect you a little now Native.
Three town, two mafia. If you are a town, your looking at two town, two mafia, 50/50 chance for anybody to be either mafia or scum. Although if you are mafia, and not sneaky enough to catch on, you see things for what they are, so 100% chance on everybody.

Your inability to see things from a townie perspective is rather incriminating to you. If Panda didn't already have a vote on you, I would do it myself.

Your inability to answer my simple question only reaffirms my suspicion on you.

Your math is silly. When looking from the perspective of town, yes, two are town and two are scum, but those statistics don't count for squat, you still have to root out who's who. I look at things assuming everyone is a suspect, when I'm rooting out a scumbag, I spread the percentage around, focusing on one or two people. For example, I'm about 55% sure you're scum, which makes the other 45% spread out among the others, since I don't have an idea of a partner yet. So no, not everybody is 50/50.

It seems like you're getting kind of nervous because my vote is sticking on you, are you trying to scare me off of you?

Also, answer my damn question. What do you find scummy or not scummy about me and the other players? I want your read on everybody.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2011, 03:09:29 am »

I did answer your question, and my maths is flawless. I don't see how you can accurately quantify your suspicions as a percentage in any way but through mathematical probability. Sure, you can call somebody more scummy than somebody else, but trying to apply some objective scale to that? Somebody doesn't understand the difference between quality and quantity.
Or somebody is scum hoping to twist words.

Also, I didn't give my scum picks for two simple reasons. I thought you wanted to know my maths, the thing  explained, and I already gave both of them. Kilakan, for seeking advice on how to act townie, and you for not thinking like a townie.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2011, 03:18:19 am »

I did answer your question, and my maths is flawless. I don't see how you can accurately quantify your suspicions as a percentage in any way but through mathematical probability. Sure, you can call somebody more scummy than somebody else, but trying to apply some objective scale to that? Somebody doesn't understand the difference between quality and quantity.
Or somebody is scum hoping to twist words.

Also, I didn't give my scum picks for two simple reasons. I thought you wanted to know my maths, the thing  explained, and I already gave both of them. Kilakan, for seeking advice on how to act townie, and you for not thinking like a townie.

You answered my maths question, not the follow up. Fine, "mathematically" you're more likely scum than anyone else at this moment. Mafia is all about being objective. You take in the facts you have, how the players act, how they react, what they do, the slips they make, how they've acted in the past, and you make an informed guess at who's scum. The only role statistics play in this is determining how many scumbags you're looking for. Furthermore, what does quality or quantity have anything to do with this? Now you're just spouting nonsense.

Now please answer my question.

What are your reads on EVERYBODY and why. What makes you think I'm not thinking like a townie? What do you think Kilakan was trying to gain by asking those questions? What is your read on Pandar and Jack? Do you have anything on me or are you just OMGUSing like it looks like you are?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2011, 03:27:15 am »

*Facepalm*
Ok, that explains it, your just realy, realy bad at maths, and logical analysis.
No, mathematically everybody has a 50% chance to be scum, if your a townie that is. This is a quantified figure.
However, we don't hunt scum by making random guesses, we look for tells. These are both subjective and qualitative.

One figure is quantity, the other is quality. If you don't understand, then fine, but I am right.

I currently read Jack and Pandar as town due to lack of evidence otherwise. When I didn't name them, that was implied.
I think your not thinking like a townie because you can't see game figures from a townie point of view, but that could be explained by your inability to appropriate high school terms like quality and quantity.
I think kilikan was trying to get advice on how to play as scum, because he has never been scum before.

Why are you demanding I repeat myself over and over?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2011, 03:33:58 am »

Ignore this, nothing here, move along.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:46:53 am by Darvi »

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2011, 03:41:27 am »

*Facepalm*
Ok, that explains it, your just realy, realy bad at maths, and logical analysis.
No, mathematically everybody has a 50% chance to be scum, if your a townie that is. This is a quantified figure.
However, we don't hunt scum by making random guesses, we look for tells. These are both subjective and qualitative.

One figure is quantity, the other is quality. If you don't understand, then fine, but I am right.

I currently read Jack and Pandar as town due to lack of evidence otherwise. When I didn't name them, that was implied.
I think your not thinking like a townie because you can't see game figures from a townie point of view, but that could be explained by your inability to appropriate high school terms like quality and quantity.
I think kilikan was trying to get advice on how to play as scum, because he has never been scum before.

Why are you demanding I repeat myself over and over?

Please tell me you're just tired. I really don't want to believe you're misunderstanding this this terribly.

When the game is made, everyone has a 40% chance at being scum. During the game, a townie know that two out of the four other people are scum. That's as far as statistics go. If you use statistics to determine anything other than the number of scumbags or power roles, then you're simply a moron.

Tell me, do you know the difference between subjective and objective? Because tells sure as hell aren't subjective. Though it is qualitative. If you're trying to sound smart to build your ethos in this game, at least know what you're talking about. Looking at things objectively means you're only looking at the facts, the tells, the slips, and the actions, you're focusing more on logos. How it should be in a situation such as this. If you're looking at things subjectively, you're letting your beliefs and emotions into the fray, things like OMGUSing and being reactive and playing a lot on pathos. It's like voting somebody because they insulted you and it will usually get you lynched.

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell you're bringing up quantity and quality. If it's about tells, certain tells are weighted differently. A bunch of small tells can hold as much weight as one big tell.

What about Jack and Pandar makes you think they're town? According to your "logic" they shouldn't be any more town than me or Kilkan. I mean, we're all 50/50, right?

Ooooh, insults. More pathos and you're trying to damage my ethos. But seriously, learn the difference between subjective and objective. Please.

I'm demanding you repeat yourself because your answers are shit. Give me a quality answer. This wouldn't be a problem if you were town. Doesn't seem like you've spent too much time reading up on people if that's the best you can do, very untown of you.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2011, 03:42:00 am »

Not a lot time because appointmen with a ophthalmologist, but the original vanilla mafia shows ottofar in al his scummy glory.

Um...thanks?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:31 am »

WROOOONG FUCKING THREAD

WHY THE FUCK DOES THAT KEEP HAPPENING

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2011, 03:53:21 am »

Yes, I am tired. You don't understand some very basic ideas here, and trying to show you the light becomes harder and harder when you are sure that trying to educate you is trying to confuse you. I will explain them to you some other time, when I feel like teaching you why a scumtell is subjective, and why a 50% chance to be town is enough to assume somebody soft town.

I'm tired of trying to tell you how maths works, and being told I am insulting you for my efforts. My answers are of quality, you just can't read them out of wilful ignorance.

Edit: Ninj'd! Perhaps given the nature of the conditions, we should allow Native to edit the quote out of he's reply to you Darvi.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2011, 04:11:02 am »

Yes, I am tired. You don't understand some very basic ideas here, and trying to show you the light becomes harder and harder when you are sure that trying to educate you is trying to confuse you. I will explain them to you some other time, when I feel like teaching you why a scumtell is subjective, and why a 50% chance to be town is enough to assume somebody soft town.

I'm tired of trying to tell you how maths works, and being told I am insulting you for my efforts. My answers are of quality, you just can't read them out of wilful ignorance.

Edit: Ninj'd! Perhaps given the nature of the conditions, we should allow Native to edit the quote out of he's reply to you Darvi.

I think you need to pick up a dictionary. Or go to dictionary.com, same thing. If you're "trying to educate me" don't bother. 1.) I don't need it, I know damn well what I'm talking about and 2.) You're terrible at it, stop.

If a scumtell is subjective, it's not a very good tell. When this game gets emotional, it gets nowhere and it ends with town losing. Subjectivity is one of scum's biggest weapons. It causes false-tells and clouds thought. You're still hung up on this statistics thing. Saying somebody might be 50% town is enough to call them soft town is just stupid. By that logic you could also call them soft scum. Assume everyone's scum until someone appears scummier.

Is that what you were trying to do? I know my maths, quality and quantity came out of nowhere from you and you still can't explain why you brought it up. You think you're not insulting me? Just look at your above paragraph:

You're trying to "educate" me? You're talking down to me and I hardly think you have the qualifications to do so, especially when you don't even seem to know what you're talking about. Furthermore:

*Facepalm*
...but that could be explained by your inability to appropriate high school terms like quality and quantity.

Funny, that looks like an insult. Also, it's "really". Please learn how to spellcheck.

One more:

Somebody doesn't understand the difference between quality and quantity.

Where did that even come from? It had nothing to do with what we were discussing.

I know what you're trying to do. You're trying to incite anger in me so I give a false slip. It's a rather elaborate OMGUS, but it's one nonetheless.

Really, if I had the chance to, I would be willing to put you at L-1. You threw me off a little with your reaction to my initial vote, but it's starting to look like your partner was coaching you there. Without your partner to coach you right now, you're falling apart.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2011, 04:12:30 am »

Post-post edit:

Oh, and if needed, I'd be willing to edit out that quote if you'd like, Darvi.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2011, 07:58:02 pm »

In other news, this is turning into a tunnel.

Jack, Pandar, Kilakan: Your thoughts, if any, on the above? (Feel free to ignore the petty arguments if you wish.) Do you feel that I'm thinking in an "untownie" way? Do you think Max is OMGUSing and trying to cover it up with a poor argument? Or do you think something else?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9