Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to temp modify reaction raws to get wool  (Read 1469 times)

Taigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to temp modify reaction raws to get wool
« on: July 12, 2011, 07:28:16 am »

Good day all,

I have a fortress that I would really rather not start over, and a dwarf that is screaming for wool cloth (yarn) when there is nary an alpaca or other wool bearing creature to be seen.  I am trying to modify a reaction so that I can just get some cloth so my dwarf doesn't freak out to little success.  Anyone have a sample PRODUCT line that I can use for a process that outputs yarn cloth?

Taigi

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to temp modify reaction raws to get wool
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:04 am »

I'm guessing something like

[PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:ALPACA:HAIR]
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:01:41 am »

It's not necessary to restart a fortress just because a single dwarf goes insane...

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:55:26 pm »

you can save the dwarf with runesmith, you know?

Just change the mood type to "none", click on the dwarf list so the "none" loses focus, and save... you'll get a error in the in-game log telling you exactly what the dwarf wasn't able to get and he'll be fine...

I've even fixed dwarves after they had gone mad with the same method...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:02:11 pm »

Adding a reaction will require a regen anyway so you may as well just wall the dwarf in and/or give him a war dog to minimize any damage he might cause or do as Kaos said and save him with runesmith.

You might even get lucky with a caravan if you just wait it out.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Taigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:27:10 pm »

Well I am editing a reaction that I dont intend to use. No hope of a caravan.  Right now it is saved about a minute and a half before he goes insane.

I had not thought about setting the Mood to none.  I will check that out.  I have been trying to limit the runesmith addiction I have been experiencing.

I had really hoped to save him as he is a legendary engraver.

Thanks all for the suggestions! 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:37:25 pm »

You could temporarily edit your (region-specific) plant raws and add [YARN] to the pig tail CLOTH material.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 05:01:23 pm »

Sent a PM off to OP, but I was able to come up with two of them that worked while I was experimenting last night.

The first one is [PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:SHEEP:HAIR] for sheep wool cloth (I imagine it would be the same for alpaca or llama).
The second one is [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:SHEEP:HAIR] for sheep wool yarn in order to make the cloth.

I wasn't able to come up with one that worked for getting the raw wool to spin into yarn to make the cloth with, though, but both of these are still really useful in case you need the wool for clothing, crafting, or uniforms. I know that I've been using them to outfit my military specifically with emerald wool cloaks.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 05:48:30 pm »

Oh my god Urist its a necromancer, run as fast as you can here may be zombies ready to slam your skull through your brain, run for your lives run in a completely senseless direction and get yourself horribly murdered ....

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »

Adding a reaction will require a regen anyway so you may as well just wall the dwarf in and/or give him a war dog to minimize any damage he might cause or do as Kaos said and save him with runesmith.

You might even get lucky with a caravan if you just wait it out.
Adding a reaction requires a regen, but modifying one does not.  Just pick a reaction like smelting galena or something and replace it with the wool-producing one.  Do not change the reaction's tag/name.

Once you have the wool in hand, save and put the original reaction back.  Of course, all of this should occur on a copy of the save.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 02:14:06 am »

Oh my god Urist its a necromancer, run as fast as you can here may be zombies ready to slam your skull through your brain, run for your lives run in a completely senseless direction and get yourself horribly murdered ....

Ha, ha, I brought back a post from three years ago. Oh well. It was relevant to a Google search I did last night.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 09:00:51 am »

I am sure you helped that guy to save the fortress.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »

Well, if someone would invent a time machine, we can still save that dorf's life!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.