Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress mode cooperation  (Read 2574 times)

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress mode cooperation
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:32:22 pm »

Could I build a world for adventurer mode, play it in fortress mode, rush the adamantine, make a set of armor, abandon the fortress, and retrieve it with an adventurer?

Also, what are the limits of intermode play? Does anything cause the game to glitch out?

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress mode cooperation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:35:35 pm »

It's all intended and plenty of people have done it. Make sure to dig a stairway all the way down to the very bottom ground. That way you have somewhere to go to die if your adventurer ever becomes too powerful.

The only problem is you can only make small armor as a dwarf, so you'll either have to start an elf/dwarf adventurer, or enable human forts.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:07:38 pm »

If you craft yourself a gear, i see no reason to start a human. Humans are just humans, they dont NEED booze to get through a work day, they are tall, they cant trance and only reason to ever start as a human is that you can use most of the gear found in adventure mode.

And yes, it is acceptable to craft yourself a gear for adventurer

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 04:35:34 pm »

Thanks guys. So if I just leave a bunch of valuables laying around, kill off my whole fort, and come back as an adventurer, the goods will still be there, undisturbed?

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:50:46 pm »

well, they will be all over the place, but they will be there nonetheless :)
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:04:53 pm »

If you make adamantine weapons, it's very good edge weapon material being lighter than even paper and sharper than the sharpest point you can get on an obsidian pebble in the real world. Very.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:22:06 pm »

If you craft yourself a gear, i see no reason to start a human. Humans are just humans, they dont NEED booze to get through a work day, they are tall, they cant trance and only reason to ever start as a human is that you can use most of the gear found in adventure mode.

And yes, it is acceptable to craft yourself a gear for adventurer
The reason to start human is their +size, which is a huge advantage in combat, especially when charging. Getting surrounded is not a good strategy, so if you play right, trance should never be of any use to you.

I made a fort and modded dwarves to be able to produce scimitars for my current adventurer. Why? Well... you see... scimitars are a kind of a saber. If you make them out of the blue metal, they will be very light. So if you make a blue scimitar, you've made a very light saber. Make sure to wear nothing but a red/black dyed robe if you do this. Bonus points for imbedded gems in the saber.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:23:46 pm by JohnieRWilkins »
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »

Oh yea, its ok, and adds a little spice to the fort, setting up an adventures guild. While the fort is operating, you can trade for human size armor and weapons, save certain goblinite stuff, while creating dwarf sized armor/weapons,quality shields,clothing, backpacks for adventurers.  Adding a adventurers archery range, swimming pool, and a companion skill up room is nice.
 If you do not want to use a utility to keep items from scattering, you can just create loads of heavy metal bins. If you want to create a Mountain home, there are techniques you can use so that forts can behave like the old ones did
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 04:14:18 pm »

This plus trances mean that playing anything but a dwarf is pointless. Set up a good sized world with massive numbers of clowns and night creatures, make a fort with a stairway to the HFS, churn out some masterwork weapons and armor, and have fun with your adventurer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:37:52 pm »

This plus trances mean that playing anything but a dwarf is pointless. Set up a good sized world with massive numbers of clowns and night creatures, make a fort with a stairway to the HFS, churn out some masterwork weapons and armor, and have fun with your adventurer.
don't get what your talking about? All this means is vanilla humans suck at the moment.
you could play as an elf/goblin/koblod have a nice fort and have the whole place deck out with cage traps and lure bandits into them and build an arena filled with the crazy prisoners for the merchants to fight. though you might have to add all those fort mode entity abilities to them or you would be playing a gimp fort mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:18 am »

The reason to start human is their +size, which is a huge advantage in combat, especially when charging. Getting surrounded is not a good strategy, so if you play right, trance should never be of any use to you.
emphasis added.  you get a big advantage for attacking an opponent on the ground.  and they move quite slow.  furthermore, they have to spend a turn to get up.  there are advantages and disadvantages for elves, humans, and dwarves.  the only races i see that dont really have a "hard" advantage, but do have disadvantages are goblins and kobolds.  which, if memory serves, are not playable by default.

isnt it possible to mod in reactions to make human sized armor at forges?  i may do that, whenever i get around to doing a project like this.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time