Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weapon Guide?  (Read 6652 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Guide?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 04:39:06 pm »

Yea vanilla whips and scourges exploit the combat physics a bit and are a bit overpowered due to that.  Extremely tiny contact areas at extremely, EXTREMELY, high velocity.  Their low weight is overcome by their velocity and contact area.

They are technically bludgeoning weapons, but in reality they are like little metal lightsabers, without the craving for wrists.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:41:43 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 06:00:42 pm »

Plus any battle that can get you into an eternal struggle with a Troll or hag is a good one.

Unless your fighting Boogymen

Though for now... In the future not only do I suspect Whips will be weaker (though Scourges...) but that Blunt weapons won't have their horrible "Dusting isn't all that great" from shattering every single bone 100 times.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:47:58 pm by Neonivek »

smasher89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 08:05:31 pm »

Yea vanilla whips and scourges exploit the combat physics a bit and are a bit overpowered due to that.  Extremely tiny contact areas at extremely, EXTREMELY, high velocity.  Their low weight is overcome by their velocity and contact area.

They are technically bludgeoning weapons, but in reality they are like little metal lightsabers, without the craving for wrists.

wouldnt that like being hit by a bullet? WHICH wherent manufacture in times before 1400 AC...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 08:19:30 pm »

No because Blunt cannot peirce no matter what.

It could be an adamantine pin but as long as it is blunted it won't go through skin.

smasher89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 08:29:04 pm »

It could be an adamantine pin but as long as it is blunted it won't go through skin.

i thinked that it did pierce the skin a bit up to muscular layers cuz it causes bleeding, also sometimes when i hammer someone with blunt damage i make limbs go flying, but maybe its cuz legendary ability level?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48:20 pm »

I've seen whips cut flesh.  Probably just imparts enough force to a small enough area to trigger skin's shear yield values, (Probably something along the lines on how American College Football players can rip through a paper banner by running through it) that I'm not sure how it comes about, game mechanics wise, but it appears to happen.

Blunt weapons also seem to pierce armor with enough force per contact.  If whips didn't pierce armor they probably wouldn't do much harm at all to an armored opponent, because the opponent's armor would absorb and distribute the impact.  If I'm understanding how the attack system works properly that is.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 11:44:33 pm »

Blunt weapons sometimes get stuck in the body. Simply through sheer logic and/or the way our minds work (i.e. cannot grasp logic outside of what we know), inevitably that would mean the weapon did in fact pierce. DF logic however is not real-life logic. We may never know.

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 01:22:41 am »

Blunt weapons sometimes get stuck in the body. Simply through sheer logic and/or the way our minds work (i.e. cannot grasp logic outside of what we know), inevitably that would mean the weapon did in fact pierce. DF logic however is not real-life logic. We may never know.

We shall call this phenomenon magnetism.

By the way, is there any way to acquire adamantium weapons in Adventure mode apart from creating one in a Fortress and then stealing them as an Adventurer?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 01:29:35 am »

By the way, is there any way to acquire adamantium weapons in Adventure mode apart from creating one in a Fortress and then stealing them as an Adventurer?

It involves caves, zombies, and a whole lot of luck.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 01:32:37 am »

It involves caves, zombies, and a whole lot of luck.

My character has survived a cave. And has heard of a zombie. But I am the luckiest bastard ever, so that's a check.

EDIT: Just noticed I made (again) the adamantium mistake... how long can it take for me to learn?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:36:41 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 11:34:34 am »

My personal experience suggests that short swords are better than long swords in terms of dismembering. Dual-wielding a bunched of hacked +!!candy!!+ short swords and using them against the !!clowns!! was yielding more limbs than +!!candy!!+ long swords.

I might be wrong though, since it's just my personal experience.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 11:39:27 am »

No, no it didn't PEIRCE, it merely dented the thing so badly that it got stuck.

It's not peircing damage, if it doesn't break the skin!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

iFreshco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »

I'll give what I know about weapons.

There are 3 different styles of attacks, slashing, impaling, and blunt.

Slashing is good at removing those annoying limbs from enemies and are pretty effective at bleeding them.  They are effective against non-metal armoured foes and are extremely effective at killing creatures.  My legendary swordsmaster has actually chopped bogeymen, night creatures, goblins, and all kinds of wolves and other animals in half. [You slash the ____ in the lower body and the severed part flies off in an arc!] <lol>  However, they are generally not very effective at killing metal-armoured enemies.

Stabbing is considered "edge" instead of "blunt" for weapons, but is different from slashing.  Polearms and spears are made for stabbing but other edge weapons can accomplish the same, though possibly with lesser results.  Stabbing weapons are good for messing up your enemy's innards and causing them a good deal of internal bleeding.  One drawback however is that stabbing will get your weapon stuck in the enemy quite often.  Stabbing is the prime method of attack in a lot of larger beasts like Hydras where chopping off all the heads is difficult and blunt attacks not doing as much.  A good stabbing weapon could pierce the lungs of said hydra with ease, causing it to bleed out or suffocate.  Like slashing attacks, they aren't as good against armoured foes.

Blunt weapons are nice in that they are highly effective against armoured opponents compared to their edged counterparts.  Blunt attacks can't slice off your enemy's sword arm but can shatter its bones.  They generally aren't as effective as edged when attacking upper and lower bodies except in cases where the force of your attack sends the goblin's rib through their heart.  However, they are just as effective at headshots.  Whereas edged weapons would mostly deflect off armor, blunt can just smash right through it.  Blunt weapons rarely get stuck in enemies but is almost a good thing when they do, as such a feat requires an expertly timed blow and/or colossal strength.

Personally I use edge weapons on almost all my adventure saves and train up their kick (counted as blunt) ability for goblin ambushes who have armour.  You'd be amazed at how your character can become Urist McNorris, delivering legendary roundhouse kicks to their heads and killing those pesky armoured goblins instantly.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 07:53:35 am »

Limb Scattering
Axes > Swords > Everything else (spears/pikes CAN limb remove but it's usually only on Simple Direct Hits)

Stabbing
Daggers/Knives > Spears > Swords

Blunt
Hammers > Maces > Swords

I've found whips to be enjoyable but kind of lacklustre against bogeymen and other no-painers. The main advantage of whips is the stupid amount of pain they inflict through chips. Head shots often result in brain-caving as well. Apart from that swords can be good for their versatility. If you want to bludgeon something you can pommel strike or if you want to end it quickly just limb remove.

Edit: Posted on accidental to early.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:00:56 am by CriticallyAshamed »

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 10:27:58 am »

Want a good weapon?
Pickaxe.
Pages: 1 [2]