Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Interesting adventurer facts others may not know!  (Read 13546 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting adventurer facts others may not know!
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 03:27:12 pm »

1]Throwing trains archery and makes you throw faster.
2]You can attack someone with any item you can hold, including food
3]You can ignite plants in adventure mode, but it takes a long time to burn someone and for the fire to spread
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »

Huh. I never stick around a fire I set to see the thing spread. I usually stand in it and start melting and then bleeding to death.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 07:59:07 pm »

It will usually only spread in hot, dry areas like tropical shrublands. Or, it will take a very long time otherwise.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smasher89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 08:03:30 pm »

*training weapons (made of wood of course) may or even will cause high damage like a metal one, so training things like axeman or such may require the rick of hit in impossible areas...

*much vermins can be cacht and sell if put in a cage

*sometimes if u go in a desert or such and u encounter a ambush it may be also to someone near but may not be directed to u

*rarely copper weapons as daggers and spear may not penetrate silk or wool clothes (u need really bad luck)

etc...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 08:18:37 am »

Non-agressive wildlife often can not be hit by projectiles (thrown or fired) until you attack them in melee or they decide to attack you.  They often pass straight through otherwise, because they are not an enemy, and have the friendly target projectile protection.

It took me forever to realize that when I would be 3 tiles from a hippo and empty an entire quiver full of bolts and not hit the damn thing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MightyJAK

• Bay Watcher
  • MightyJAK makes his own gravy.
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress DONE countdown
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »

Adventure mode is, in  a way turn based. You see, try standing still for a moment in adventure mode, notice how nothing moves. Then move and notice how everything else moves. This is really useful to plan out strategies in the middle of battle.
I don't mean to be rude but... no shit.
A less rude and more snarky response would be:
Adventure mode is a roguelike.

Companions will always attack wildlife, hostile or not. Unless you like losing your companions (not getting them killed, but literally having them get lost) and having the archers waste all their ammo, fast (T)ravel out of the area after accomplishing your main objective if there's copious wildlife present.

This AI quirk doesn't only affect your companions, though. If you're hopelessly outnumbered and need to run away, look for a herd of animals. If your character is fast enough to outrun the animals you can just cut right through the herd, but if you're slower it may take some careful circling around. Either way, try to get those animals closer to your attackers than to you. You can safely make your getaway once that goblin ambush party is distracted and decides to go hunt warthogs instead.

Another way to get attackers off your trail is to set fires. Most enemies won't be stupid enough to just sit there and burn to death (unless you also stay dangerously close to the fire), but the smoke will obscure their vision. This is even more effective at nighttime.
Quote from: Toady One
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
Quote from: Demon
But when will the game be done!?
Eight years.
So Dwarf Fortress will be done on Friday, September 14, 2012.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 09:53:46 pm »

1]Enemies will go to where they last spotted you if disappear on them somehow (dodge through forest, sneak, etc.)
2]If you're being chased and are a decent distance away you can duck behind a tree, begin sneaking, and (hopefully) move out of range before the enemy arrives on the scene.
3]You can't see the sun (sleep till dawn) in any place that'd be considered subterranean in Fort mode (lairs, labyrinths, caverns). Everything else is fair game though.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 06:22:55 am »

You can survive your first Bogeyman attack by sneaking.

Pick up rocks/train in ranged weaponry then when night falls and you are nowhere near a safe area/lair and then get ambushed, go run around a tree and try your sneaking on. Your sight range will be VERY small but don't panic, they can't see you even if they are 4 squares away. Here you can try to snipe them off with ranged attacks.

The only problem is dodging, "Bogeyman dodges, YOU'VE BEEN SPOTTED." If they dodge near you, you will mostly be spotted if you are a novice ambusher, then they descend upon you like dwarves on booze.

All of the above is a last resort option when trapped at night, although you could try sniping in any battle, just know that speed counts, go THROW at your enemy to save the most turns if you are that paranoid of life  :)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 08:35:30 am »

If you start as a human wanderer, every faction in the game is neutral to you. This means that for instance goblin ambushes target your companion peasants instead of you. Even though you get the announcement from the leader, they only murder your sleeping companions.

After this they can be recruited if they like you already. Bringing goblins into town tends to lead to massacre and no jobs as the lord and his family were killed by that bunch of psycho goblins or bandits who follow you around forever now.

The best way to solve this is to find a heavily populated town and introduce your green friends to every randomly generated (with a stabby knife) unimportant peasant you meet while you calmly watch from the sidelines.

I like to think my adventurer knocks on the door and says Help! Goblins!

EDIT: Also, as if it rains it washes all the blood off immediately.

Snow is different and I'm not sure whether it's either the dragon and dragon casualties corpse's from my backpack that are still bleeding, or if it's the snow washing blood off one layer at a time off me and my adventurers randomly. Either way there are blood trails in the snow behind my little army, which means Toady has done something awesome again.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:06:58 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 04:44:09 pm »

You can, in fact, clean blood and vomit off of your body and armor by drinking it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »

1) At night, only fast traveling and sleeping summon bogeymen. In the normal "walk around and fight things" mode, you can walk all night unmolested. Remember this if you are ever caught out in the wild without companions.

2) If you sneak up to someone standing next to a tree and light the tree on fire, that person will be killed by the fire and their body destroyed.
2a) A dead body takes a lot longer to burn than a live body. Who'd've thought?

3) It is difficult to travel across arctic regions because huge sections of ice will periodically rise up and kill anything standing where the surface was previously. Expect to lose many adventurers to the ice if you make the attempt.

4) In Dwarf Fortress mode, a single unit of gold bars will yield 500 coins. You can visit your old fortresses in adventure mode. Do the math.

5) Vacant lairs are a good place to store loot. Unlike your old fortresses.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 01:27:34 am »

Fairly certain the Bogeymen one above is false. I've had Bogeymen spawn as I was throw training.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 05:12:27 am »

In the current DF versions, you can gain weight and grow fat from eating/drinking too much. Just by drinking the rainwater on you/your clothes will make you gain weight.

Fat is a skin layer, it helps in deflecting blunt blows but not by a lot, it also slows you down.
Pages: 1 2 [3]