Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXV - Game over, webadict wins.  (Read 59841 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXV - Game over, webadict wins.
« Reply #435 on: July 15, 2011, 11:12:16 pm »

Also...
I WAS IN IT FOR THE BITCHES.

Real cute.
You also didn't react the way you are now, but I guess you were just cutting me some slack or something?
Dude, that was strike one. You should probably stop at strike two. Strike three involves decapitation.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 15, 2011, 11:14:42 pm »

No, I totally understand.  I used to be a misogynist myself--I'm not even kidding.  I mean, you'd think "how does that work," right, but I definitely thought women were stupid and all those other sorts of things.  I laughed at the jokes.  I made the jokes.  I had to learn.  Fifteen is also neither too young, nor too old to learn--right?

The thing is, though, that it doesn't matter where you came from, what your circumstances are, your excuses, your reasons.  If you were beaten you would deserve sympathy, gentleness, and protection, but that would not give you an excuse to make jokes about raping women.  And, indeed, I hope you feel pretty bad at least momentarily, because... well, honestly, there are victims of rape on this forum, and when people joke about it sometimes their PTSD is triggered.  They hurt themselves, they have horrible nightmares, they feel like they can't keep on living, just... remembering.  I try to protect these people as much as I can, so that they can have fun with the rest of us.  They didn't deserve what happened to them.

The other important thing to know is that, according to some studies I'm not digging up right now, rapists think that everyone else is a rapist; indeed, when you don't name it rape, some... what, 6% of men entering college will admit to having already having raped a woman.  It doesn't matter if it's just a joke or not, because they can feel that it's funny, it's light, no one cares.  That their intention was good.  That the result doesn't matter.  It's important to express that rape isn't something to laugh about or trivialize, so that they understand that they're the minorities in the society.  So that peer pressure works against them, rather than for them.

Now, I really didn't want to derail this thread, but on the other hand I find it really, really important to stop this now, rather than just sitting back and letting it keep happen (or, say, blowing up in the middle of a game like some sort of atomic explosion--that's happened more than a few times, and I'm really trying to get a handle on it >_>).  I want everyone to feel safe and comfortable here.  This is especially important in the Mafia subforum, because we attack each other in game and really support each other out of the game.  When we don't build the out-of-game community as strong as we possibly can, we can't press each other or be mean in the game as friends.  It's kind of like how it's different when your friend calls you an asshole from when a random person on the street does it.

So, please keep these things in mind, and thank you for the apology =)  I really appreciate it.  You've reacted much more pleasantly than some other people I've spoken with.

You also didn't react the way you are now, but I guess you were just cutting me some slack or something?

Yeah, that was your first warning.  I try to make the first one innocuous enough that you can figure out my position without getting embarrassed or anything =)  And, I'm sorry if I've embarrassed you this time, but I felt it was necessary to make myself utterly clear.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 15, 2011, 11:23:31 pm »

No, it's totally fine. I should take responsibility for my actions.
I can also understand your a misogynist, considering I myself am a misandry. Mainly because of the way other guys acted around women just ticked me off. Hell, my Bestest Friend is a Girl. But again, not going to go into a whole life detail here. As again, there are other places we can discuss this.

Darvi, I demand a Beginner's Mafia XXV Part II
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #438 on: July 16, 2011, 03:33:38 am »

This is not enough for me, unfortunately.  I think people, especially long-term members, should be aware by now what is and what isn't going to be tolerated here.  This is one of the most messed up things I have seen on the forum.  The fewer rape jokes we have directed against specific forum members the better, and apparently I can most reliably cut down the number by banning you.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 16, 2011, 08:09:51 am »

This is not enough for me, unfortunately.  I think people, especially long-term members, should be aware by now what is and what isn't going to be tolerated here.  This is one of the most messed up things I have seen on the forum.  The fewer rape jokes we have directed against specific forum members the better, and apparently I can most reliably cut down the number by banning you.
To be fair, I'm almost 100% positive it wasn't directed AT Vector, but rather a continuation on a joke he had started earlier, as evidenced by his first post.

I WAS IN IT FOR THE BITCHES.
Which itself is sort of a meme, just as the second one is ALSO based on a meme.

So, I think you've slightly misunderstood the situation, which is understandable, as our defensive state could be interpreted more or less as standing up for Vector as opposed to telling Meanmelter to stop.

I think you'd rather want fewer rapes jokes in general, since I'm sure there is more than one female on the boards, and rape is pretty serious no matter who is raping whom, so if you want to temp-ban him for that, it would be more toward the rule infraction that was actually committed.

I felt that I would say that, since he seemed unfairly judged.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 16, 2011, 08:11:14 am »

What the fuck is going on, who called the wrath of the One True Toad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 16, 2011, 12:25:55 pm »

Pretty messed up that we have memes so full of those jokes, isn't it?  It's part of our cultural expression.  I just... yeah, that's pretty shocking.

What the fuck is going on, who called the wrath of the One True Toad?

Dunno, but don't assume it was me.  In any case, I suppose he's made his judgment clear.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 16, 2011, 01:26:38 pm »

Pretty messed up that we have memes so full of those jokes, isn't it?  It's part of our cultural expression.  I just... yeah, that's pretty shocking.
Err... Don't get me wrong. I wasn't approving of what he said. I meant that he probably wasn't intending rape against specific people. Or rape in general. Just rape as comedy. If he was going to get banned for anything, it should be the thing he ACTUALLY was intending, and not something far, far worse.

And you can blame the internet for that. We're all faceless people on the internet, so the things we REALLY think are here. There's no repercussions for believing things and saying them on the internet, because anyone that can judge you isn't someone you'll care about. If you say them in real life, people will ostracize you. If you say them on here, people will flock to you.

That's the scary part. Someone ACTUALLY believes the things that are said.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 16, 2011, 01:51:02 pm »

On the other hand, that was pretty clearly a rape joke about

a. Vector doesn't play RTDs

b. We should drug her with date-rape drugs (and possibly, you know... etc.)

c. She'll like that.

Anyway, I don't want this to turn into some big snafu.  I've already got people upset at me for not laughing (elsewhere), so ... eh.  I didn't want him to get banned, either, but I'm not going to get all upset about that.  What happened happened and we might as well move on.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 16, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

I am merely sorry for starting this business somehow. I do not know what RTDs have to do with rape, though. But yes, let's move on - and this thread probably could use a lock.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 16, 2011, 02:01:31 pm »

I'd have locked it if I was awake when the entire thing started. But yeah. Will do.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]