Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Let's Play SMAC on a tiny map - Chapter one: The gospel according to zsozso

(1/17) > >>

baruk:
Inspired by this (12 year old) thread over at Apolyton:
http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/7334-Transcended-in-MY.2172-by-Gaians?s=&perpage=20

Why a tiny map?

--- Quote from: zsozso ---First I played a lot of SMAC games, learned to beat the AI in various ways into the ground (mainly on huge map sometimes standard but never smaller), had pretty high scores (several thousand %s) and kind of given up on the game with the notion that it is no fun anymore - too easy! THEN, I found Apolyton, read Vel's guide and saw the posts from korn469 about the fast transcend. And I was shocked: how on the red planet is it possible to transcend within a century - so I'm not that good after all ???

I tried to play a game with those settigs and first got it around 120 turns. And it was fun, more fun than I had in long time with SMAC. Then I played again and again... and after about 30 games I got down to 2179. It is no longer a question of beating the AI - which is very easy no matter what the world size or parameters are! It is a crazy race with time!

You have to try it to see. It requires an extreme amount of micromanagement - but not boring because you are not doing it with 150 bases and 300-400 units, but 5 bases and 10-20 formers (OK, you will have a lot of crawlers too).
--- End quote ---

Your choice of faction, my choice of rules
 I'm not bothered about which faction I play, so I'll take a vote on that. Spartans or Gaians would be easiest (see zsozso and korn469's record breaking games), whilst Believers or Hive are probably the toughest to transcend with.
 I was planning to play a tiny custom map on transcend difficulty with maximum land area, probably with light fungus (unless I'm the Gaians). If you guys prefer, I could choose a completely random tiny map.

My preferred game rules are as follows:

In my opinion, blind research and random events add very little to the game, so they get switched off. Pods are FUN, so I keep those. Unity survey is a boon to long-term strategic planning, and knowing the shape of the land masses seems like a reasonable thing to have available.

baruk:
In summary:
- Vote for a faction (regular SMAC)
- Vote for a randomised map or custom settings (of my choice)

I'll total up the votes once we have 10 votes or 72 hours have passed.

mattie2009:
All settings that boost native wildlife for maximum !!FUN!!.
No preference on faction.

breadbocks:
He said he chooses the custom settings if that's your vote.

I say random map, random faction. LEEEEEROOOOOOOYYYYYY---

mattie2009:
Well shit. In that case, what breadbocks said. Go on, it'll be funny.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version