Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My monarch came before I had 140 dwarves.  (Read 5761 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
My monarch came before I had 140 dwarves.
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:04 pm »

I had less than 40, in fact. I modded the game so that candy was more common than microcline (I made it a layer stone in all possible layers and also made it cluster like Microcline everywhere), so I got the monarch early. The wiki doesn't mention this, and the message on arrival was "The queen Tosid Kedurist has arrived, dressed as a peasant!"

Screenshot of the offending monarch: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13790475/Monarch.png

I had built of bridge out of raw adamantine, so I met the road requirement, and the raw adamantine smoothed walls counted for architecture, but I had never made an offering and, as said in the title, I had less than 140 dwarves.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:17:00 pm by Putnam »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: My monarch came before I had 140 dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:58:34 pm »

Hmm fascinating, you would get that message in 40d when you discovered adamantine without meeting the requirements.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:03:49 am »

Did you get the baron/count/duke nobles?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:22:30 am »

Did you get the baron/count/duke nobles?

No, hell, I didn't even have a mayor yet when this happened.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:22:20 am »

Have you, somehow, met any of the other requirements for monarchy? Export, created wealth, and roads?
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:31:36 am »

Have you, somehow, met any of the other requirements for monarchy? Export, created wealth, and roads?

Just created wealth, because of all the damn raw adamantine. Had over 10,000,000 before my third migrant wave.

EDIT: Above info is wrong, bridges count for roads, didn't export though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:35:04 pm by Putnam »

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 05:15:33 am »

Are you using the newest build, or an older version?

also, lol at "her royal insufferableness"
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 06:51:49 am »

Weird, it states that a monarch does NOT arrive when adamantine is discovered, it also states that you need to export at least 5k Wealth back as offerings and some wealth on roads.

Better check what version you're using or are you using a mod perhaps? I have no experience with mods.

Enjoy that "peasant" by the way  :)

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:52:58 am »

Excuse me. I just read the thread title:

i mean..

read it. I had to laugh. Still. A little bit. Its funny.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 11:04:35 pm »

31.25. I'm 100% sure, since this is my most recent downloaded copy, the one I use for messing around with mods. It's my !!Science!! copy, so to speak.

As for mods, there's a mod removing aquifers, SanDiego's tissue rebalance, a mod that adds more realistic density and coloring to the minerals, a mod that removes all arena restriction, and a mod that, as said in the OP, makes Adamantine a layer stone in ALL stone types, as well as making it a cluster stone that is about as common as microcline.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:09:46 pm by Putnam »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 11:12:30 pm »

Adamantine a layer stone in ALL stone types, as well as making it a cluster stone that is about as common as microcline.

Probably what did it.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 11:15:15 pm »

Adamantine a layer stone in ALL stone types, as well as making it a cluster stone that is about as common as microcline.

Probably what did it.

Well, duh. That's why I mentioned it in the OP. However, it does prove one thing: the monarch CAN appear early with Adamantine mining, which I do believe proves the wiki wrong.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 05:42:36 am »

Only when you mod the game. You could include it, but the wiki still stands. In Vanilla, the king won't arrive when you mine adamantine.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 05:46:36 am »

Only when you mod the game. You could include it, but the wiki still stands. In Vanilla, the king won't arrive when you mine adamantine.

Uh, not quite. This proves that adamantine (or wealth created by mining it) is somehow connected to the arrival of the Monarch. Otherwise mining lots of adamantine wouldn't make him come earlier. This hints that the Monarch could arrive early, in extreme conditions, even in unmodified versions.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 07:55:41 am »

Uh, not quite. This proves that adamantine (or wealth created by mining it) is somehow connected to the arrival of the Monarch. Otherwise mining lots of adamantine wouldn't make him come earlier. This hints that the Monarch could arrive early, in extreme conditions, even in unmodified versions.

Does it prove it though?  He's modified this version rather heavily, so I'm not certain if that proves it could happen in the unmodified version.  On a similar note, the dungeon master is required to tame certain animals but he will never come to your fortress in 31.25; with a minor tweak they can be trained without one OR the dungeon master can arrive; I don't believe either proves that they can be trained or that he arrives in the unmodified version.  I haven't had the adamantine king effect yet despite hitting the blue stuff a few times now.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: [1] 2