Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Construct Mechanisms out of Bauxite?  (Read 1157 times)

AnBarrelRoll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to Construct Mechanisms out of Bauxite?
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »

I just traded for bauxite. How do I specifically instruct my dwarves to construct me some mechanisms out of bauxite? I tried the manager menu in the units view, but I did not see an option to order them specifically to construct mexchanisms out of bauxite.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Construct Mechanisms out of Bauxite?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

Make a stone stockpile next to your mechanics workshops (or one level below the workshop) and give the order to only accept Bauxite. And then order the stockpile to take from the stone stoockpile where your bauxite is located at the moment.

In any worjshop the working dwarf will take the raw material that is nearest to him (meaning in [x,y,z]-vector, i.e. for example if a piece of needed material is directly below him  (in the next lowest z-level) the dwarf thinks this piece of material has only a distance of 1 and will take it if no other material with the same or a lower distance is anywhere to find, even if it nmeans that in fact he has to make 200 steps to the next stair, 1 step below, 200 steps to the material and then back [i.e. 802 steps] and there is material which he could reach with only 3 szeps).

So, if you want your dwarfs to construct things out of a certain material, bring this material as near to their workshop as possible

Shamasu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://world-of-dungeons.net/?link_eb_51408
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

I have a "special" workshop area just for stuff like that. There's a bed, some food stockpiles, and a single door leading to the whole area. When I want something particular made, I haul the components there, set up the job and then lock the door once the dwarf is inside. (ie: I just wanted my master platinum statue encrusted with all the different types of gems I have. Hauled the plat statue to one stockpile, haul all my gems to a 2nd one. Lock the door once the gemworker was inside)

PS. Don't forget to let him out once he's done.  :)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
<STRONG>Make a stone stockpile next to your mechanics workshops (or one level below the workshop) and give the order to only accept Bauxite. And then order the stockpile to take from the stone stoockpile where your bauxite is located at the moment.

In any worjshop the working dwarf will take the raw material that is nearest to him (meaning in [x,y,z]-vector, i.e. for example if a piece of needed material is directly below him  (in the next lowest z-level) the dwarf thinks this piece of material has only a distance of 1 and will take it if no other material with the same or a lower distance is anywhere to find, even if it nmeans that in fact he has to make 200 steps to the next stair, 1 step below, 200 steps to the material and then back [i.e. 802 steps] and there is material which he could reach with only 3 szeps).

So, if you want your dwarfs to construct things out of a certain material, bring this material as near to their workshop as possible</STRONG>

This brings up a valid point.  Don't build this Bauxite-specific place directly above or below your other stone stockpiles or stone lying on the ground.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

You can also "bring the mountain to Muhammad" by setting a dumpsite next to your mechanic shop then marking obscene amounts of bauxite for dumping.

When you want bauxite gears and blocks un-forbid the number of rocks you'd like to build with.  In this way you have specific control over how much of your bauxite is used in any given production run.

The advantage of doing it this way is you'll actually have a "strategic bauxite reserve" which your mechanics and masons won't touch until you un-forbid it.

(Dwarves, like Dwarf Fortress players, are just crazy enough to call a pile of rocks "The Strategic Bauxite Reserve".  Dwarf politicians would likely stretch that term to include un-mined bauxite.)

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas