Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to edit.  (Read 1594 times)

DizzyFoxkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to edit.
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:54 pm »

I've seen that you can add in items and armor with the .xmls, do you have to mess with the source to do other kinds of editing?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to edit.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:20:20 pm »

Possibly/probably.  What kind of editing are we talking about?

DizzyFoxkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »

Characters and the save file? I'm not too sure how to go about editing a .dat file if you can edit the save file.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:33:14 pm »

I think (not entirely sure) that the .dat files are actually text files.  Try opening it in gedit or similar.

DizzyFoxkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:56:30 pm »

huh :-\ I cannot find a .dat file in either the compiled version or the installed version. thats baffling...
Edit: found it, and no gedit won't open it.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:22:56 am »

At the moment, I have neither a current save file nor my Linux box handy...but I was able to open one of my backup saves with Notepad on Windows...anything Notepad can open, gedit should easily be able to open...

Anyway, the only Linux users in the LCS community I know about are Kay12 and myself.  Unless Kay has an idea for you, you'll have to wait until I can actually boot up Linux to look into this for you.  Sometimes I get stuck using Windows and can't boot into Linux for a little while.  I'll try to do that sometime tonight.

What does gedit actually say when you try to open that file with it?  Does it spit out an error of any kind?  You should be able to just run 'gedit ./sav.dat' from that folder.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:59:46 am by Stargrasper »

DizzyFoxkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 04:57:57 pm »

@stargrasper: I get an error saying gedit can't detect character encoding. It also gives an option to try Western or UTF-8. Neither of those work either. I could always try with Wine's notepad.

Just tried with Wine's notepad, it won't even dectect it graphically and I'm not sure how to access it from terminal so... yea.
Wait... just got it to open with Wine's Notepad. After I figured out how to do it through the terminal. That seems a bit odd that gedit isn't reading the encoding...

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:44:55 pm »

That's...interesting...suffice to say that there are in fact things that Microsoft does do well.  For now, smile, nod, and accept the work around.  I'll try to figure this out next time I boot into Linux.

I did find a site that talks about a command that is supposed to find the character encoding of a file.  Again, I can't test it without booting into Linux.
Code: [Select]
file -bi [filename]

DizzyFoxkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:13:14 pm »

I'll try it and tell you what it does when I have the time.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:39 am »

The save file is binary and gedit can't open binary files.