Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Rise to Gloreh: A CK Succession Game PART VI: Full Circle  (Read 20161 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: Rise to Gloreh: A CK Succession Game PART I: The Slavenning
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 12:04:05 pm »

RISE TO GLOREH

The reign of Petrislav Vojislavljevic

The story of Petrislav Vojislavjevic's reign begins in 1070, when he is coronated the Prince of Rashka, after his father Mihalo's death. He was taught by his uncle, Radislav, in the ways of zeal and orthodoxy and by his childhood in the ways of battle and trust. This text will log the events of his reign from 1070-1101.

1070: An attempted assassination on the Ragusan first in line fails.
1070: The Kingdom of Germany begins to fall apart, Austria rebels and France tries to absorb the western rebels into it's kingdom.
1070: Dobrosa returns, removing the possibility of inheriting Ragusa.
1070: Ragusa becomes Venice's vassal.

1071: Dobrosa is married to a spy master of great skill.

1072: Mihalo's still living brother, Radislav, leaves for the Belgardian court, citing religious problems.

1073: Ragusa becomes Genoa's vassal.

March 1074: Radislav returns from Belgarde, requiring medical attention. It is given. He stays and eventually returns to his positon as marshal.
October 1074: Ragusa declares independence from Genoa, Genoa declares war. Vassalisation is offered to Ragusa, it is accepted.

March 1075: Court of Justice built in Rashka to deal with a thieves organisation.
July 1075: Genoan armies land in Ragusa, Rashka officially declares war.

May 1076: After several Rashkan victories, Genoan armies retreat back across the seas.

July 1077: Petrislav falls ill, but a miracle worker succesfully heals him, in exchange for a sum of gold. It is estimated that, by the end of Petrislav's rule, various court members owed a total of over 500 gold in debt to miracle workers.
August 1077: Genoa accepts white peace after both land's suffer stability problems, though it is technically a Rashkan victory.

June 1079: Hatred between Petrislav and the Genoan ruler grow, Petrislav finds friends in those with a mutual hatred.

August 1080: Maria, Mihalo's wife and Petrislav's mother, dies. There is great mourning.

August 1081: Investments increase the realm's stability.

November 1082: Markos, Petrislav's son, inherits the title Prince of Vidin and Count of Naissai.

April 1082: Radislav dies, symbolising the end of Mihalo's generation.

June 1084: The count of Ragusa wins Belgorod in a war. It is later lost to rebellion.

May 1086: The Byzantine emperor dies, the heir offers an alliance, it is accepted.

June 1091: A mysterious disease spreads around the court, it is still around by the end of Petrislav's rule.

May 1093: Petrislav lays claim to the title of count of Dyocchia, a newly independent province of the Byzantines. War is declared.
November 1093: The war is won, title given to Stefan, Petrislav's son.

November 1095: The Byzantine Emperor dies, the alliance is terminated.

June 1097: Zavida, Petrislav's wife dies. He mourns deeply.
July 1097: Petrislav begins the construction of a small castle in Rashka in honour of his dead wife, who bore him 3 healthy males and provided him with comfort throughout his life.
August 1097: The count of Vidin rebels from Markos, endangering the possible formation of Serbia that has long been a Vojislavljevic dream.

January 1098: Rashka intervenes with the war now going on between Markos and the rebel count, declaring war on the count of Vidin.

May 1098: The war is won, title given to a grandson.

December 1099: The castle in Rashka is complete. It is named Zavida castle in remembrance of Petrislav's deceased wife. Petrislav feels his life waning.

January 30, 1101: Petrislav dies of old age, his son, Markos inherits the throne.

R.I.P
Petrislav Vojislavljevic
Prince of Rashka, Count of Rashka and Zeta
Lived 1035-1101
Reigned 1070-1101

Long live Markos Vojislavjevic!

You can play as Prince of Rashka/Vidin, and some counts in the Rashka area.

Save
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:45:33 pm by Cheese »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2011, 12:31:41 pm »

Sweet. I should have a chance to play a few solid hours this evening after the kids are in bed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2011, 12:47:31 pm »

Save up.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2011, 12:48:29 pm »

Remember. While you can play as Markos, you can also play as the Count of Vidin, or Stefan, the count of Dyocchia.

It'll be more fun to play Markos though :p
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2011, 12:52:05 pm »

^Thanks. There's also the count of that province next to Rashka. The one that went to mihalo's grandson.

I expected to do a bit more expansion, but there wasn't much opportunity. I'd recommend going for the pieces that fall of the now crumbling Byzantium, or trying to spark something with Croatia.

Can you put me at the end of that list? I might budge back for newcomers if they come.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:57:17 pm by Cheese »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2011, 09:30:10 pm »

Actually, I decided to play Vukan Vojislavljevic, the hunchbacked Count of Hum. I kind of picture him as a Tyrion Lannister character, trying to advance the goals of the overall house, while advancing himself and his line within it.

The diaries of Vukan Vojislavljevic, lord of Hum and scion of the House of Vojislavljevic

January 30, in the year of our Lord 1101.

Father has gone to his eternal reward, and by birthright, my eldest brother Marko has inherited the twin principalities of Rashka and Vidin. Marko is not without his strengths, but statecraft is not among them. The fool waited too late in life to produce a legitimate heir, and now the fate of our family lies in his cradle, crying for the wet-nurse's teat. He married his daughters off to Russian boyars, and his eldest is a veritable whore, spawning five half-Russian sons in Suzdal. Now Marko's mewling infant Uros is all that stands between our House and domination by some petty Russian noble.

My own son Petar is a shining star, equally gifted in the field of battle and the administration of our lands. He will make a fine ruler some day. But the needs of our family require that I must safeguard Marko until his son is of age, and safeguard his son to ensure that he reaches that age.

February 10: Marko has declared himself Protector and Princeps of the ancient Byzantine theme of Dioclea. The Byzantine Emperor, a mere child himself, is in no position to contest the claim. With this claim, Marko now claims rulership over nearly all Serbian lands. I wonder what he plans...

February 24: It is as I suspected. At a gathering of lords in Rashka, Marko made a proclamation:

For too long, the Serbian people have suffered--squeezed between our neighbors with no rights of our own. But we are not our neighbors. We are too civilized to be Magyars or Pechenegs or Bulgarians. We are of the one true faith, unlike the Croats. And we are not decadent like the Greeks in their decaying Empire. We are Serbs! And it is time we stood under one united banner! And as Princeps and Protector of the Serbian people, I will raise that banner as our King.

The others went along with the notion easily enough.
--Amanieu, the magistrate of Ragusa, he is a French jackal who will follow whatever earns him the greatest coin. And he probably feels more secure under a Serbian banner than under that of the Croats.

--Stefan, our younger brother is a weak-willed fool who would follow whatever order is given. His wife is the true power in that household, and she serves Marko as his steward.

--Oleg Rurikovich, the count of Ugra in the far-off steppes is Marko's son-in-law and solidly loyal. He is of little consequence and will likely meet his death at the hands of nomads or worse.

--Our 2nd cousin Nikodem is the only one who seems to have any reservations, because he has little stomach for the brutish business of securing an empire for our family. He detests Amanieu however, and for this I find him in my liking.

For my part, I support Marko's ambition. But perhaps not Marko in his person. If Uros dies young or is found to be unfit, I cannot allow one of his halfbreed grandchildren to rule over a united Serbia.

February 27: Before leaving for his new capital at Dubrovnik, Marko held a quiet ceremony where he invested me as Prince of Rashka, but asserted that the county of Rashka would remain part of the royal estate. It is an insulting irony that I will rule in name only, confined to my own lands of Hum, but I take solace at least in knowing that they are the richest lands in all of Serbia.

March 11: Heralds bring me news that Marko has invested Nikodem as Prince of Vidin. A better choice than our shiftless younger brother, and perhaps he means to tempt Nikodem's support against his gentler nature. He will also serve as a counter in case the Ragusan merchants ever think they can rival the Italian city-states and remain free. Perhaps Marko is showing some skill at statecraft after all.

August 4: At a family gathering, I made some jest about Marko's daughters and their affinity for Russian bedchambers. Count Oleg of Ugra was apparently within earshot and took great offense. Perhaps this is doubly compounded by the fact that his lovely young wife has yet to bear him any heirs. Regardless, I have made another enemy. Why do they seek me out so?

October 18: After King Dan of Croatia rebuffed his claim to Dalmatia, King Marko made to enforce his claim by strength of arms. Normally, I would say this would be a disaster. But the Croats have been at war with Norway (God knows why) for several months, and their armies are off in Prussia or Denmark or God knows where right now, while a Norwegian jarl lays siege to Senj. I will not fight to defend Marko's claim however, but to wage my own vengeance against the hated Trpimirovics and to take the lands of Rama rightly due me.

March 10, 1102: The Croats tricked us. Somehow they have raised thousands of troops, though their best lords are still away on campaign. Our nobles give us an advantage but this will not be a swift victory. Leading my men, we have taken control of Rama, and are headed for Usora. Perhaps if we can capture both, we can ransom Usora for a permanent claim to Rama.

March 11, 1102: We drove the enemy from the field, but only at grave personal cost. Five of my best household guard fell defending me, and only after a Croat rider gashed me with his lance. The wound is grievous, but not yet mortal.

March 16, 1102: The chirurgeon says that the wound is festering, and I have taken ill. I have gained Rama, but I fear it will come at a terrible price.

March 26, 1102: Messengers bring a proposal from the Croatian throne. They will grant me the charter to the county of Rama, for a blood payment of 48 gold sovereigns, virtually my entire treasury. Though it pains me to make peace from less than a position of strength, my wounds throw the whole matter into the hazard. Caution dictates that I take the gains that I may achieve in this life. I have agreed to the proposal -- land is more valuable than a trifling of gold, and my treasury will be refilled.

April 21, 1102: Our King has decided that since the quick war we hoped for did not materialize, to settle his accounts with the Croats. For their part, they know that they cannot fight against us and the Norwegians at the same time. Marko extracted 21 gold sovereigns from them as blood payment. Perhaps they still bear the smell of my coffers.

May 17, 1102: Noting our lack of a bishop and my fading constitution, the Patriarch has sent a newly ordained Serbian bishop to attend my court. We have welcomed him with open arms.

May 19, 1102: Though it matters little to us, travelers bring news of a great victory in the realm of France. Their king, Charles de Blois, has crushed the armies of Robert Curthose de Normandie and obtained the crown of England from him. William's dynasty lasted but a little time, and now the Franks are mighty indeed.

June 1, 1102: I would not have thought it, but I have outlived my brother. Our King, Markos Vojislavljevic, passed unto his just reward early this morning. God rest his soul, and God help the Serbs. We kneel to an infant king, Uros the Unready. I acknowledge his suzerainty, because what other choice do we have? There is no other heir from our House who lies anywhere close in the line of succession.

August 17, 1102: My vision fails me, and I hear the choirs of the heavenly host calling to me. I leave to my son, Petar, a meager treasury but a rich land. And I entrust to him to safeguard our fledgling King and to help him defend Serbia against all our enemies.

So....that was a quick game. About 20 months total. The AI created a Serbian kingdom, and I added Rama to its lands. The merger of France and England was a bit of a surprise--never seen England get curbstomped that early, and by France. And a non-Capetian France at that. So the next player has some interesting options. Petar, Prince of Rashka has only a 2-county demesne, but it's a fairly rich one and he has some high stats (14 martial, 15 stewardship) and a capable court (mostly women). Then there's the infant king Uros (age 1, all stats at 1). The line of succession is precarious--if Uros dies without heir, the crown goes to any number of five Russian boys in Suzdal. There's also still Stefan, the last of the three brothers who is still Count of Dyrrachion. And Nikodem, the distaff cousin who was elevated to Prince of Vidin.

Enjoy: http://filesmelt.com/dl/Bay12PrinceOfRashka1102.eug       
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:05:17 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 04:50:36 am »

Damn, man. You shouldn't play the oldies. :p

EDIT: Had a play through and wow... Whatever idiot married off our close sister to one of the far away Russians, you are stupid. :| It means we lose the King of Serbia title if Uros dies (which it is likely he does) and won't get it back until their ENTIRE LINE is dead. Can I recommend to Silent that he assassinates every single one of those Sulduzian bastards?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:42:20 am by RF »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 10:36:10 am »

I didn't do that, I sent Markos off as a fosterling. Then he inherited the principality of Vidin and I had no control of him stealing our Volkislavawahteverian courtswomen and marrying them off. Also, keep in mind that the county of Zeta produces massive armies, around 3k of troops. And I take full credit for Rashka's amazing court.

E: Ok, it was definitely the AI that married our dynasty with Russians. They were Markos' daughters, who was ruler of a separate principality for the entirety of my rule.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:13:35 am by Cheese »

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 10:38:36 am »

Well Ill be taking the infant King, I mean, nothing can go wrong right?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 01:25:45 pm »

Whatever you do, stay alive until you're 16. Then breed like a rabbit.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 01:33:51 pm »

Damn, man. You shouldn't play the oldies. :p

Didn't have much choice. Both Vukan and Markos were in their early-mid 40s, and Stefan and Nikodem were in their 30s. And those two are both wusses. Probably could have lasted longer if Vukan hadn't decided to be leading the troops with his hobbling hunchbacked self, but when you only have a one-county demesne, your leader is automatically the field commander. At least he went out in a blaze of Croatian-beating glory.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2011, 02:36:26 pm »

RISE TO GLOREH

The reign of The Infant King: Chapter 1

The Records of Caslav Vojislavljevic, Regent to King Uros

August 17, 1102 Today the council decided to increase the Schutage so that we will be brining in a paltry 3 gold a month from the vassals. I protested of course, but unfortunatly the rest of the council disagreed with me, and so I must listen to them, if only to keep appearences up.

September 29, 1102 A feast! A great feast for a greater wedding! Today, Branislav has married Krisztina Arpady, daughter to the successor to the Bulgarian throne. Who knows, perhaps this will lead to great gain in the future.

October 4, 1102 The vassals have demanded we sign a Magna Carta, limiting the rule of the King. This is a serious matter, and I must consult the council at once upon the matter.

October 5, 1102 We have managed to reach a compromise, although the Magna Carta was not signed, we did promise quite a bit of gold in return for their complacancy. Hopefully we shall be able to recover from this setback.

October 5, 1102 In order to shore up loyalty, we had to give the governor of Ragusa a Magistire position. A purely symbolic promotion of course, but It should elevate us in the eyes of our peers.

April 17, 1103 Today, Hranislav came to me, demanding I install him as Steward. I decided to politely decline, but he walked out in a huff.

October 3, 1103 I have had it. The stresses the meeting, everything. Every day a new squabble that must be resolved. Between these idiots getting mad over seating arraingments, to pampering this infant who claims the crown. I have gotten my offer from Vidin, and shall be packing my bags tonight. God help whoever takes my place.

The Diary of Hranislav Vojislavljevic, Regent to King Uros
October 6, 1103 Caslav, left us with no leader. I have stepped up in his place, and shall serve this court with all my strength, wits, and energy. He seems to have thought that my views were heretical, and my mind unsound. But I shall prove them wrong! I shall lead our people to glory!

October 10, 1103 Ah my first royal decision! Today I shall begin to bring glory to our house! Radica has come of age, and needs a husband. Now this is of course a very important decision, one on which the entire fate of Serbia rests! I infact believe that such a decision needs perhaps years of thinking! I shall weigh this decision heavily for now.

April 27, 1104 Still no worthy husbands for Radica, I may just marry her off to a harmless count to keep the succession lines clear. But I also have decided to reward my hard work. I feel that the 35 gold I took from the treasury wont be missed at all. Not like we needed it.

May 10, 1104 With the succession the way it is, I did not feel comfortable allowing Radica to marry a foreign lord. As such I have given her to one of our courtiers. Perhaps they may have a child that can serve us.

January 24, 1105 Today is a dark day. Today, we have buried Konstantin, our beloved Diocese Bishop. May he rest in peace.

September 15, 1105 We have made the obvious decision to teach young Uros at the court. Perhaps he may even be as great as me someday. But I digress. Besides the formalizing of Uros's education, we have married a few more women away in kingdom. Last thing we need is for them to start birthing some half Russian mongrels.

March 28, 1106Today is a glorious day! For today, we are allied with our friends in Croatia. This means our major threat no longer is an issue. And if all goes according to play, in only 20 years, Hungary will be under Vojislavljevic rule!

August 15, 1106 Yet another marraige, this time between Aleksandar and the King of France's daughter. SUre we had to assasinate her fist husband, but thats just how it works. Coincidentially, I have ordered King Uros's personal guard to be doubled.

September 2, 1106 I cant beleive it worked. Today the king's two sons were meeting at Fiox to discuss matters of the realm, and our assasin managed to stage a raid of their travel party. Both sons were killed, and as far as the French know, It was simply a peasants rebellion gone horribly wrong.

September 10, 1106 Wispers seem to indicate that not only does the King of France know that I was responsible for the death of his sons, but that everyone knows House Vojislavljevic was behind it. Although this severly wounds our prestige, I care not, we have secured France for House Vojislavljevic, and that Is a victory no matter how you look at it.

November 22, 1106 The peasants are complaining of the amount of their wealth that we just donated to the church. Although some say this may destabalize us, I feel that such donations are important.

December 5, 1106 Another blade, this one in young Andreas Argyos. It pains me to have to kill a child, but the Emperor of Byzantium was becoming irksom, and I needed to ensure none of his spawn have a chance to become a major thorn in our side. Its just a shame that his lands are ruled by electives, because he has a lovely daughter that would be perfect for Svetolik.

May 26, 1107 Today I approved a massive road project to be carried out in the capitol. Although expensive I think this should prove to be benificial in the event of military intervention.

November 6, 1107 I remember when this job was exciting, now it seems the scheming is over, and waiting has begun. The only marginally important decision was when Keratsa from Vidin was sent to us as a fosterling. Where is the glory, the power I was promised. I am beginning to see why Caslav left.

Febrauary 5, 1108 Today is the darkest of days. The Magna Carta... has been delayed. But at a great coast, 400 gold! All those precious coins. They were so beautiful, and now they are gone! I shall make sure they pay! THEY WILL ALL PAY FOR THEIR INSOLENCE!

February 6, 1108 It seems I overreacted last night, I hope I can learn to control my temper. I also promise not to drink during council meetings. Apparently my comments at Stewardess Hermine were crude and uncalled for. This is my written apology, Signed Hranislav Vojislavljevics

November 20, 1108 Another uneventful year. All that happened of note since February was today Marshal Boris has left. He claims it was because he couldnt suffer this court. But I beleive he has the same problem I do, boredom. I mean what is a mashal without a war? Nothing, and thats what he feared he would be remembered for. Marshal Vladimir shall take his place.

Februrary 17, 1108 The concept of Musical Instruments has spread to our courts. Perhaps things will become more lively.

August 1, 1109 Today Stevolik has found a bride in our court. Unfortunatly we couldnt find a political marriage for the poor boy, so he will have to be content with merely sireing heirs.

September 2, 1109 Aleksander is expecting a child. If this child is a son, we will have secured France for House Vojislavljevic. I will hold back celebrations though, because his first child was a daughter, and this one may be another as well.

January 10, 1110 Our vassals are starting to get a bit uppity, but Steward Hermine assured me that cutting scutage would put them back in line. I hope she is right.

February 24, 1110 We decided that young Bela should be instructed in the court, in order to help us in the future.

June 1, 1110 GLORY! GLORY AND POWER TO HOUSE VOJISLAVLJEVIC! FOR TODAY WE HAVE DONE IT! WE HAVE SECURED THE THRONE OF FRANCE! Ahem, Like I said, today Raymond Vojislavljevic is born, and he is the first heir to the French Throne. Now Charles de Blois still has some years left in him, but at age 41, I sincerly doubt he'll be able to father any heirs, and If he does, our daggers await their flesh. Let it be known that I Hranislav Vojislavljevics am the sole person responsible for this feat! And let my name adorn every family hall! For today is a day of celebration!

End Part One
Sorry about those last few years, but literally nothing happened aside from some stuff about sending children to court or monestary, notifications on loss of titles in backwaters in deep Russia, low skill courtiers throwing hissyfits etc. no important events. If you want me to record these non-events to flesh it out, Ill do it. Ill probably continue late tonight or tommorow.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2011, 02:53:57 pm »

Congratulations on the France inheritance.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2011, 03:14:33 pm »

Congratulations on the France inheritance.

Thanks, it was a risky move, because it cost us a shitload of prestige and piety for the assasinations, but If it wasnt for those damned Magna Carta Events Id be in alot better of a position. Still France is nice.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Rise to Gloreh: A CK Succession Game PART IV : Hranislav the Regent
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2011, 03:33:16 pm »

Doubly so, since France swallowed England while I was playing. All hail the Serbian King of Frangland.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7